The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
New Area

Hey as I have already said I am getting ready to head off to college. While reffing will not be my sole reason for attending a school it will be one. Just woundering about how things work in certain areas.
1. Xavier ( Cincinnati OHIO)
2. Marquette ( Milwaukee WISCONSIN)
3. Providence ( Providence RI)
4. SLU ( St, Louis Mo) I know a little but more would be better
Thanks
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Just woundering about how things work in certain areas.
1. Xavier ( Cincinnati OHIO)

Well, you've come to the right place. There's a wounded buffalo from Cinci that posts here. Or was it a wandering buffalo? Or maybe it a wounded, wandering buffoon?

Anyway......

Yo, Larksy.....

PS- English major, Fonz?
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
wounded buffoon?
That would be me.....

Ohio - you need to be licensed to work FR/JV (class 2 license) and V (class 1). If you are licensed in your state, Ohio generally reciprocates. More info at http://www.ohsaa.org/officials/permi...ault.htm#State

Annually meeting requirements are: 1 state meeting which is in late October. 4 local association meetings which start in early November. If you live at or near XU - you would be very close to the Ohio Valley Officials association meetings - more info at www.ohiovalleyofficials.com.

Assigning happens by league. There are about 8 or 9 assignors you would be able to get games from. There is a ton of schools in the Cincinnati area and Xavier is close to the interstate and pretty much right in the middle of things.

Edit: Everything is two man thru JV. V is 3 with the exception of a couple girls leagues.

Last edited by Larks; Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:37am.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Hey as I have already said I am getting ready to head off to college. While reffing will not be my sole reason for attending a school it will be one. Just woundering about how things work in certain areas.
I can't offer any specific help about those areas but I recommend that you not let it be one of the reasons to affect your decision. I'm sure you will be able to officiate no matter where you go. But if you are going to weigh it in as a factor closer schools will be better. The reason I state this is because you are going to want to be a member of both your home and college associations if you have any interest in working games during winter break while you are home. And to do so you often have to make annual rules meetings to be certified which will often occur while you're at school in the Fall semester.

Just a thought.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
If you are making a decision on college solely based on the officiating situation in the area, I would count out PC. Rhode Island is a really tough place to officiate high school ball. it is a small state with a very large population of referees, my experience there when I was attending URI was that I was lucky to see JV games once or twice a year (just turn backs on short notice) for at least 2 or 3 years while I built up "seniority". However, if you are interested in doing other sports, their baseball and football associations had some great guys in it when I was there.

if you need any more info about RI, don't hesitate to PM me, I lived there for a long time

Last edited by ToGreySt; Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 09:09pm.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There's some Wisconisin guys like RonRef who are in the Milwaukee area who can advise you there. I know they have made a move toward 3 man which may open up some spots. [My company has its HQ there and one guy at the main office is an assignor].