The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Instinct Kicks In

We've talked about the play where the ball is shot and misses, is tipped around, tipped toward oob, and then saved back inbounds by A into their backcourt. What it takes for that to be a bc call, and when it's legal.

Well, I had the play last night, and I called it correctly, instinctively. Didn't realize until I was driving home that my partner, the coach, the crowd and all 10 players on the floor were wrong. I kinda like that feeling!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Well done, Juules. It's nice when that groove sets in and you blow your whistle and then realize your instincts nailed the call.
BV game today, 5.0 seconds left in 1st quarter and I'm T. Ball gets passed in and the clock doesn't start. "Instinctively," I started my own count just in case. I get to 5, and kill the play and call the quarter with about 2.4 seconds on the clock.
It was a game I needed to do well in, and that play helped from what I could gather after discussing it with one of my partners (who was essentially there to evaluate me). Now, I'm going to need to remember to flex more as lead in three man.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Isn't it fun when you get that odd call that never happens, but we always discuss on this forum? Last year, I had the legendary "foul on the shot at the wrong basket." Nobody in the gym knew quite how to respond, but we've discussed that enough here that I knew just what to do.

I gave the girl one free throw at each basket.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:00am
M.A.S.H.

Juulie,

It's certainly not suprising to me that you were right again! Way to be...it's certainly a great feeling.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Isn't it fun when you get that odd call that never happens, but we always discuss on this forum? Last year, I had the legendary "foul on the shot at the wrong basket." Nobody in the gym knew quite how to respond, but we've discussed that enough here that I knew just what to do.

You are a credit to the Officiating.com Basketball Discussion Forum!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow

Now that's funny
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
We've talked about the play where the ball is shot and misses, is tipped around, tipped toward oob, and then saved back inbounds by A into their backcourt. What it takes for that to be a bc call, and when it's legal.

Well, I had the play last night, and I called it correctly, instinctively. Didn't realize until I was driving home that my partner, the coach, the crowd and all 10 players on the floor were wrong. I kinda like that feeling!

I must have missed the thread about this one... so would someone please explain what it takes for it to be a backcourt call?
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
I must have missed the thread about this one... so would someone please explain what it takes for it to be a backcourt call?
Four Requiremetns:

1) Team Control
2) ball in FC
3) A last to touvh before ball goes to BC
4) A first to touch afgter ball goes to BC

Three Exceptions -- Airborne player frist gaining control on a :

1) Jump Ball
2) Throw-In
3) Defensive Player
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 9-9

First, there must be team control. Now, in the described play, there is no team control due to fact that a try has been attempted. Ball is batted into the back court. Once the ball has gone into backcourt and A1 has back court status, then A1 can control the ball w/o a violation.
Also read Rule 4-12.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Isn't it really cool when you're driving home, mentally replay and analyze it and know you GOT IT RIGHT! I love that feeling..... it's so much better than when you realize you booted it.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
First, there must be team control. Now, in the described play, there is no team control due to fact that a try has been attempted. Ball is batted into the back court. Once the ball has gone into backcourt and A1 has back court status, then A1 can control the ball w/o a violation.
Also read Rule 4-12.
Actually, I ruled that it was a controlled throw, rather than just a bat. He got a hand under it, turned his body around and looked. THen he flung the ball. It didn't take long, but it felt like control to me. To my instinct. That was why I called it a violation.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I ruled that it was a controlled throw, rather than just a bat. He got a hand under it, turned his body around and looked. THen he flung the ball. It didn't take long, but it felt like control to me. To my instinct. That was why I called it a violation.
Very good. If you determined that there was team control, then Backcourt violation is the correct call.
When I read 'bat' I thought that there was no control.
Keep up the good work!
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

missed the one about player shooting at wrong basket and got fouled ... ruling?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
missed the one about player shooting at wrong basket and got fouled ... ruling?
The ball becomes dead on the foul, so the basket will not count unless the ball goes through the rim before the foul is committed (not before the whistle.) Furthermore, it's a common foul and free throws will only be shot if the offended team is in the bonus.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

I had this one with a minute left in OT between two rivals last Friday night. Red team center gets the ball in his lane area and turns to shoot a jumper. White team center is right there to block the shot, so Red center throws ball to the floor while airborne to start a dribble. I tweet the travel, and we go the other way. The call as you may imagine was not well received by the Red bench or crowd. It is the first time I have ever had this play in a game. I explained the rule to Red coach during the next time out and I think he trusts me enough to know it was the right call. It was a good feeling to know that a unique situation happened and we got it right.