Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Great finish!

Damn Duke...
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Miracle shot. Ughhhh...why did it have to be Duke?

Very well officiated game.

Once again, ugggghhhhhh!
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Shawn came through

The only satisfaction I can take out of that Duke win is that the player that made the shot is a Chicago boy. Shawn Dockery went to Julian High School on the Southside. His dad is a HS coach at Corliss High School in Chicago. Other than that bit of information, daaammmn....daaammmnnn.....daaammmnnnnn.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Game was great! I like the Intentional Foul as well as the double technical. Of course, Coach K was his usual self!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Game was great! I like the Intentional Foul as well as the double technical. Of course, Coach K was his usual self!
Coach K has a great reputation but he rips officials as much as anyone. Kinda like The Wizard of Westwood. Of course, Coach K is the leader of the Evil Empire of Durham.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, a good friend of mine is an ACC official and he say that Coach K is worst of the coaches and he can curse you out under his breath!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Yeah, a good friend of mine is an ACC official and he say that Coach K is worst of the coaches and he can curse you out under his breath!
That is so ironic that Coach K has a reputation as being this really nice guy (he seems to be on TV and in other media contacts) and coach. I have heard the same thing from people that either knows a D1 official that have worked games for Coach K or the officials talk about that on their own. People have such a negative attitude about Bobby Knight and I have personally heard 3 Big Ten officials (2 worked in the Big 12 as well) in speeches to official's groups that Coach Knight is one of the most fair coaches they have ever worked for. Those officials that worked with Coach Knight would say that they would work games and he would not even say a word to them during the game. Not only do they think the man is fair, they would send their kids to play for him in a heart beat. I guess when you treat the media well and say words under their breathe that makes a good guy. When you show more emotion and treat the media like a nuisance you are a bad guy. I guess the message is kiss up to the media and your image will be perfect.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Duke is evil. Coach K is a jerk. Look, everybody's a fan, and people's perceptions are what they are. But can we dispense with all the hearsay? "I know an ACC ref who says..." If you want to attribute quotes, fine, I'd love to hear which heavy hitters are flapping their jaws around people with no sense of discretion. Until you want to start naming names, though, let's just leave that stuff out of it. We all know big-time officials, and we've all heard some stories. There's a reason, however, that those stories are told in camp--read private--settings, and not given to reporters.

Every coach, at every level, has rubbed officials the wrong way. Even Saints John and Dean have had nasty stories related about them by officials that worked their games. But what does that mean? They're bad guys because they pissed off a couple of referees? Come on. Every one of us on this board has done the same thing with people we come across in our lives, but that doesn't mean it would be fair for an acquaintance of one of those people to post on a message board about what jerks we are.

If you're in the ACC and want to post stories about K, or Roy Williams, or anybody else, I'm sure you have an eager audience. Just spare us the hearsay. It comes off as something dangerously close to envy.

Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

jbduke,

If you are so offended by the comments, then do not read what people have to say about this topic. I was just simply saying that what we sometimes hear from one source is totally different what we hear from another source. Let us also understand that Coach K was coached by Bobby Knight and I would expect similar behavior by both individuals on many levels. Coach K was also an assistant at Indiana for a very brief period of time before he went on to bigger and better things. I think a lot of us here buy into the things the media says and those individuals that actually come in contact with those coaches share those experiences. These officials tend to share things with other officials what they have experienced. Not sure why that would bother you or why anyone would have a problem with those stories.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with the stories; I'm not delusional, I know K is no saint. I'm simply saying that if you want to tell stories that you didn't experience first-hand, you should attribute them. If you're not willing to source your stories, you shouldn't tell them.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
I don't have a problem with the stories; I'm not delusional, I know K is no saint. I'm simply saying that if you want to tell stories that you didn't experience first-hand, you should attribute them. If you're not willing to source your stories, you shouldn't tell them.
Joe Crispin, Donny Brocko (sp?) and Ed Hightower I have heard tell stories about Bobby Knight and how he treats officials. To a man each said they felt that Bobby Knight was the fairest coach to work for. Now I do not have a problem saying this because each said these things in a room full of other people. I even think Tommy O'Neal has said some things about Knight that would surprise many (he was on the infamous Teddy Valentine game with Ed Hightower). I just cannot remember what Tommy said at this point. And the conversation I had with Tommy was not in a room full of officials. It was with a small group of people and I was there when he was telling the story. I would not expect others to use names if they had a private conversation with those officials about their dealings with a particular coach.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well I am sorry you are offended, but this is an open forum and nothing has been said to make him look bad. The truth is the truth and I am getting first hand. He is a great coach and will certaining be remembered and highly esteemed. But like most coaches, he has his way about getting his messaged conveyed to the officials. His way is just sneaky!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

JB Lighten up. If you care to disbelieve stories, that's up to you. Based on what I see of coach K on the tube, his reactions to calls by officials, etc., I have a tendancy to believe what people say. He has the most pearcing snarly look at times. Of course, he is not the only coach like this but with coach K's squeaky clean All-American reputation, his actual behavior during games is more likely to be examined closely. So, if you want a source for the story, *I* will be the source of MY opinion about the guy.

As for Coach Knight, I attended a 2-day one-man clinic that he put on and he was great. I am sure all coaches are like that when the game is not in progress. But during games, a lot of coaches can be really tough on officials and can be real whiners. And....I don't need "sources" to make me think differently. Even when it's my team they're talking about. ;-)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

We do not have to talk about coaches that are nationally known, we could say the same things about local coaches that are well known in a state or area. I can tell you that some of the coaches that are loved are some of the worst people to be around when the ball is thrown up. And the coaches that are seen as hard to deal with are angels most of the time. All I have tried to say is what the media says does not paint a very big picture of what someone is really like.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Coach K is the king of the whiny-jerk coaches. He's the Jim Boheim of the ACC. If a hemmorhoid could talk, it would sound just like him.

You can attribute all of that to me. It's my opinion from watching him in action for a whole buncha years.

He may be a great coach but he's also one of the all-time great whiners imo.