The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Kevin Durant is from Texas, not Maryland.
I don't know where he is from, but K. Durant played HS ball at Montrose Christian in Rocville, MD...

Being a MD native, and a former player at DeMatha, I have always been a little biased thinking that MD was the best... I don't necessarily think they have the best players, but do think they have the best programs in a 45 miles radius... to name a few: DeMatha, Mt. St. Josephs, St. Johns Prospect Hall, Montrose Christian, Riverdale Baptist, Dunbar... the list goes on...

Just look at a few of the coaches that are or were in this area in the past 10 years... Morgan Wootten, Stu Vetter, Joe Gallagher... I doubt any two coaches in history have more wins than Wootten and Gallagher... over 2000 wins between the two... Morgan has 1200+ and less than around 200 losses... Joe has 800 - 900 wins.... These two are living legends of the game...

Then you have Stu who had Flint in the top 5 nationally, then St. John's Propect hall in the top 5, and now, his Montrose team is ranked nationally every year...
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Boiseball,

I know what you mean about Boise. I moved from WA to Boise 9 years ago, and my small-school hs team would compete with any of the big-school teams in Boise. Also, the game and the officiating have gotten better since then, there are some younger refs now who are getting into the avocation that are pretty good. Also, about Ohio, I have a friend who is an NAIA coach in Montana, and used to be in Ohio, and he said that there are kids in Montana who go D1, who would have been NAIA in Ohio, since there are so many more good players.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:28pm
Jerry Blum

Don't forget about Indiana. Always quality players coming from all over the state.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 03:06pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Kevin Durant is from Texas, not Maryland.
Durant began his high school career at National Christian, in Maryland. He played as a Junior at Oak Hill and after that season he "came home" to Montrose Christian in Maryland. I don't know where you got your information from, but he spent all but one year of high school ball in Maryland and as far as I know that is where is family is from. He plays college ball for Texas, but that is the only association with Texas I know of. He nearly went to college at UNC so those ties aren't too deep. A few years ago I was in the elevator with Rick Barnes at the Nike camp and (I forget the exact words) he is basically resigned to the fact that Durant could be one and done in college. His "people" were grooming him for the NBA before the rules changed which forced him to go to college. As a sophmore he was playing the point at 6'7".
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 03:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
Don't forget about Indiana. Always quality players coming from all over the state.
I didn't say anything about Indiana because I would seem like a homer (I am).

Think of this squad, if Indiana could recruit in state

Sean May - UNC (would still be eligible)
Dominique James - Marquette(my third cousin)
Greg Oden - Ohio State
Mike Conley - Ohio State
Josh McRoberts - Duke
I think there was another kid from Indiana that used to play for Memphis and declared early.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think in general most big cities will have some standout. If you are talking about individual player New York has always delivered some quality players. Though when you speak about teams as a whole DC metro and NY area has some strongest team in the country/
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...r25.htm?csp=34 This link will show you half of the top 25 teams are Ny metro and Dc metro. Number speak for themselves.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Durant began his high school career at National Christian, in Maryland.
You are absolutely correct. My bad. Durant is originally from Suitland, MD. I don't know where I got the impression he was from Dallas, but I'll have to reprogram that part of the brain.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Best high school basketball. I can jump in here because I have been involed to some degree in several states.

1) Indiana is the best due to atmoshphere - good players as well, but atmoshphere, coverage, hype and importance placed on it ranks it No. 1 in my book. Also, can add tradition ... It used to be greater before they went to a class system. Biggest mistake ever made by the IHSAA.

2) State of Washington. Very under-rated.

I have been in Las Vegas, Nevada, Iowa, Idaho, New Jersey, Maine.

None of these states even come close to Washington and Washington is a bit by the Hoosier state. Las Vegas is by far the worst in all aspects!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 06:03pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Best high school basketball. I can jump in here because I have been involed to some degree in several states.

1) Indiana is the best due to atmoshphere - good players as well, but atmoshphere, coverage, hype and importance placed on it ranks it No. 1 in my book. Also, can add tradition ... It used to be greater before they went to a class system. Biggest mistake ever made by the IHSAA.

2) State of Washington. Very under-rated.

I have been in Las Vegas, Nevada, Iowa, Idaho, New Jersey, Maine.

None of these states even come close to Washington and Washington is a bit by the Hoosier state. Las Vegas is by far the worst in all aspects!
Why do you think so lowly of Las Vegas? Don't get me wrong, the DC area will blow Vegas away, but Vegas isn't terrible either. I don't know, when I go back (retire) maybe I will say the same thing. By the way, how much time did you spend in Vegas and when?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

IHSA 100 Year Legends

Here is a website recognizing the all time greats in our state.

I do not know if Illinois is the best or not, but it damn close.

Current pros involve Dwayne Wade, Kevin Garnett, Eddie Curry, Michael Finley, Shaun Livingston, Quentin Richardson and Luther Head.

Current top college players like Jon Scheyer (Duke), Sherron Collins (Kansas), Julian Wright (Kansas) and Tony Freeman (Iowa). I could name more but that would take some time.

And of course you cannot go without naming Isiah Thomas, Jack Sikma and Quinn Buckner.

This is always an interesting debate, but if is very subjective. I just know a lot of great players come from this state and it is not completely unusual to see players at the HS level here that end up on TV at the next levels.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Why do you think so lowly of Las Vegas? Don't get me wrong, the DC area will blow Vegas away, but Vegas isn't terrible either. I don't know, when I go back (retire) maybe I will say the same thing. By the way, how much time did you spend in Vegas and when?
No excitement in the games. All games from frosh to varsity are all played consecutively in the two on-site gyms. Rarely do you see a band or more than just the friends and family members at a game. Atmoshphere is horrible. There is no community feel in Las Vegas - it has grown too fast.

Coaches are not very good as a whole. And the games refelct that. Just a horrible setting.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 06:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No excitement in the games. All games from frosh to varsity are all played consecutively in the two on-site gyms. Rarely do you see a band or more than just the friends and family members at a game. Atmoshphere is horrible. There is no community feel in Las Vegas - it has grown too fast.

Coaches are not very good as a whole. And the games refelct that. Just a horrible setting.
Damn, that sounds almost entirely like the Girl's basketball around here.

Sorry I could not resist.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I do not know if Illinois is the best or not, but it damn close.

And of course you cannot go without naming Isiah Thomas, Jack Sikma and Quinn Buckner.

Peace
Don't forget the greatest ever, George Mikan!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will admit that each time I started to list a name, I would come up with someone else. It got to the point I just stopped and kept who I already listed.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Have you been in Vegas recently? I ask because I'm pretty sure I'm moving there before next b-ball season. I recall reading in Referee Magazine a couple years ago that there was a HUUUUGE shortage of officials in Vegas because it has grown soooo big, soooo fast. I wonder how many newer, minimally qualified varsity officials are there, and if that may contribute to the quality of play?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the quality of play here in Hawaii is average at best. Derek Low at Washington State is a very gifted player, and there is a local kid playing here at UH, but very few local kids play college basketball (as opposed to football where they excel). However, I enjoy calling games here because there is intensity in every game...the kids really play hard.