The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Who's Ball ?

A1 shoots while B1 commits an intentional foul. The ball goes in the basket. A1 then drops the "F bomb" on B1. Ref calls the intentional foul on B1 then the Tech on A1. What happens next and where is this in Case Book?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
This T is penalized as follows:

NFHS order of occurrence
NCAA point of interruption

The intentional foul doesn't change this.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

This is the closest that you will find in the Case Book. Just substitute A1 for the coach of Team A to get your play. The play is a false double foul.

4.19.9 SITUATION C: A1 has a breakaway lay-up. B1 commits a hard foul against A1 from behind and is called for an intentional foul. The Team A head coach protests, feeling the foul should have been a flagrant foul and is assessed a technical foul. RULING: Award A1's goal if successful. A1 shall receive two free throws with the lane spaces cleared. Any Team B player is then awarded two free throws for the technical foul. Team B will be awarded the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorers table.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Giacoma
A1 shoots while B1 commits an intentional foul. The ball goes in the basket. A1 then drops the "F bomb" on B1. Ref calls the intentional foul on B1 then the Tech on A1. What happens next and where is this in Case Book?
Fed: False double.

Although it doesn't say so, I will assume that the intentional fould was by B1 against A1.

Count the hoop (either 2 or 3). Report both fouls, and see if any DQs are pending as a result. If A1 is DQ'd, her/his replacement will shoot two FTs for the IF. If A1 is not DQ'd not, A1 shoots. A1 shoots 2 with the lane cleared. Any B player then shoots 2 or the T on A1. B's ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the table.

I don't have my case books with me while at work.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
I've never fully understood the difference between an INTENTIONAL foul, and a FLAGRANT foul. Would someone like to explain that for me?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is the closest that you will find in the Case Book. Just substitute A1 for the coach of Team A to get your play. The play is a false double foul.

4.19.9 SITUATION C: A1 has a breakaway lay-up. B1 commits a hard foul against A1 from behind and is called for an intentional foul. The Team A head coach protests, feeling the foul should have been a flagrant foul and is assessed a technical foul. RULING: Award A1's goal if successful. A1 shall receive two free throws with the lane spaces cleared. Any Team B player is then awarded two free throws for the technical foul. Team B will be awarded the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the scorers table.
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a FLAGRANT foul, and an INTENTIONAL foul? I have never grasped the full context of the difference of those two.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Rules 4-19-3 and 4-19-4 define intentional and flagrant fouls, although generally, a flagrant foul is a foul that you deem to be so excessive and/or violent it deserves a game disqualification. An intentional foul can be excessive contact (even when "going for the ball") or not making a legit attempt to play the ball or player (such as wrapping up a player to not allow him to jump & attempt a layup).

I'm sure someone who has access to the online rule book can cut & paste for a full definition.

Flagrant - disqualify player, 2 shots & ball
Intentional - 2 shots & ball
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ok. Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only real difference is that for the flagrant personal, the offender is disqualified. For an intentional personal, the offender is merely given one more personal foul.
The difference in penalties should probably lay out how different they will look in the game. You won't get many flagrants, but you'll have plenty of intentionals.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

intentional -- kid grabs a jersey while player is dribbling
flagrant -- kid grabs a jersey while player is dribbling and then spins him around and drops him to the floor

in the first -- its just 2 shots and the ball at the spot of the foul
in the second -- player is DQ'd, then 2 shots and ball at spot of the foul