The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Let me put it this way. There are fewer women's assignors to impress. If I am not mistaken if you live in the East or Midwest, you just have to impress a couple of people to work a D1 game. On the Men's side every Mid-Major Conference has their own assignor for the most part. So if you want to work in the Big 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC and SEC, you have to impress different people for each conference. And in most cases you will never see those conferences until you work for the smaller mid-major conferences like the Missouri Valley, MAC or Mid-Con (sorry I am from the Midwest). So there is a totally different atmosphere on the Men's side than the Women's side. Now if you see that as more difficult I guess it depends on how you look at things. For me in general it seems harder on the Men's side because there seems to be more competition (more people want to be there) because Men's games are much more on TV and most officials are men. It seems most officials tend to gravitate to the Men's game as a goal to achieve.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

way to be PC -- great job whoo hoo -- what was i thinking the mens and womens level of officiating is the same difficulty to get into. IT is even keel and you will have just as difficult a time breaking into mens collegiate officiating as womens. I am sure there are statistics on that but hey what the hell do i know except what I see and hear first hand. go for it they are both the same.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Go for the sex change operation. Referee magazine will do an article on you for sure.
I'm not sure it's worth quite that much to me. It'd be too much like that crappy basketball movie where the NBA player is kicked out of the league and goes to the WNBA.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm not sure it's worth quite that much to me. It'd be too much like that crappy basketball movie where the NBA player is kicked out of the league and goes to the WNBA.
Very true, but thanks for your help.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 11:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
that crappy basketball movie where the NBA player is kicked out of the league and goes to the WNBA.
Sad to say that I know what you're talking about. . .

Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Early March is usually when you see most camps announce their dates, places, times, etc. I would have to agree that each side has its own difficulties. Women's side . . . better to be a, uh . . . woman. On the women's side they don't like men who are too big . . . apparently it is intimidating for those 6'2" girls to look up to a 6'3" official. Men's side . . . more competitive . . . and they have their "ideas" about what kind of official "looks good" on the floor (i.e., 6'+ tall, athletic, clean cut).

As for assignors to impress . . . there are SO many. Pick one or two camps and start from there. In Texas, anything D-II and down . . . there is only one person to really impress. He has it all, something like 9-10 conferences.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 01:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Men's side . . . more competitive . . . and they have their "ideas" about what kind of official "looks good" on the floor (i.e., 6'+ tall, athletic, clean cut).
I've heard that they're getting away from that a little now. They were getting too many guys that looked pretty but just weren't very good. They've kinda gone back to looking for officials that can actually...well...officiate, no matter whether they're short, whatever.

Heck, I know a real short guy(How short do you say? Well, he has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the azz) that got hired just this year into D1 ball. Used to post here a lot too.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 14, 2007 at 01:54pm.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I've heard that they're getting away from that a little now. They were getting too many guys that looked pretty but just weren't very good. They've kinda gone back to looking for officials that can actually...well...officiate, no matter whether they're short, whatever.

Heck, I know a real short guy(How short do you say? Well, he has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the azz) that got hired just this year into D1 ball. Used to post here a lot too.
I do not know that I agree completely with that. Of course there are always exceptions to that rule and just like your short example it does not apply to every situation. But when I went to a camp this past summer that was held by one guy that had the most D1 conferences in the country, just about everyone there was slim, athletic, tall (6 feet and taller) and could referee. There were also people in the camp that already worked D1 and no one had a beer belly or looked like they did not do some working out. Larks went to the same camp, I am sure he will make a similar observation.

I went to a camp where the assignor assigned a Mid-Major Conference and there was a guy that probably was one of the top 5 officials at the camp but he was a little overweight. I heard one of the clinicians who is a current D1 Official and told him he needed to lose his belly and about 10 to 15 pounds.

I might agree that they are getting away from the stats as a judge of is going to get a shot, but it is still a factor in the hiring process. Just like many other things are factors that we hardly ever talk about.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Early March is usually when you see most camps announce their dates, places, times, etc. I would have to agree that each side has its own difficulties. Women's side . . . better to be a, uh . . . woman. On the women's side they don't like men who are too big . . . apparently it is intimidating for those 6'2" girls to look up to a 6'3" official. Men's side . . . more competitive . . . and they have their "ideas" about what kind of official "looks good" on the floor (i.e., 6'+ tall, athletic, clean cut).

As for assignors to impress . . . there are SO many. Pick one or two camps and start from there. In Texas, anything D-II and down . . . there is only one person to really impress. He has it all, something like 9-10 conferences.
I guess my 6'5 may be a little short for womens
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I missed this but there are acouple of factors that will make a difference.
Men's or Women's? (as brought up)
Location?
Experience?

As far as the height thing it is not necessary to get picked up for Men's ball, but being short may not hurt you but it certainly won't help. In my experience they want officials who get plays right, but at the same time you have to look good since this is a job where perception is everything. I know many shorter officials who work D1 basketball and were picked up in the last few years.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

He has to haul his pogo stick up the chair and jump off to kick the duck in the azz (I've shared breakfast, lunch, dinner, an evening drink - sadly he can't handle anything stronger than low cal decaf coke - and a shower with him so I'm not just spreading rumors...)
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I've shared a shower with him so I'm not just spreading rumors.
Um, that's really more information than I wanted to know.

Just saying......
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. . . I've shared . . . a shower with him so I'm not just spreading rumors...)
I think this qualifies as WTMI . . . WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION!
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
and a shower with him so I'm not just spreading rumors...)
Whatever you do in your spare time is your business
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
Whatever you do in your spare time is your business
Apparently he likes to have a short one......

Not that there's anything the matter with that.