The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

put 00.1 back on the clock?

So I worked girls JV tonight, both teams are in the bonus at the end of the 4th quarter. Team B scores a basket with 00.3 seconds left to tie the game. As Team A inbounds, B1 fouls A1. My partners blows his whistle a half second before the final buzzer goes off.

We clear the teams off the floor and let the girl shoot her 1 and 1. She ends up making both shots and they win. What my question is, is should we have put that 00.1 second back on the clock? Team B would had to have thrown the ball all the way down the court and who knows if they even would have gotten a shot off. Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 12:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless one of you happened to look at the clock and see .1 second on the clock, no. Don't put time on unless you know positively how much to put on.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref
So I worked girls JV tonight, both teams are in the bonus at the end of the 4th quarter. Team B scores a basket with 00.3 seconds left to tie the game. As Team A inbounds, B1 fouls A1. My partners blows his whistle a half second before the final buzzer goes off.

We clear the teams off the floor and let the girl shoot her 1 and 1. She ends up making both shots and they win. What my question is, is should we have put that 00.1 second back on the clock? Team B would had to have thrown the ball all the way down the court and who knows if they even would have gotten a shot off. Thanks for the replies in advance.
Are you saying that there were 3 seconds? or .3 seconds? I can't see that much action happening in less than a second...
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

How can you have " My partner blows whistle with HALF (.5) a second before buzzer" with only ".3 seconds" left on clock?
Clock should have run out.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:48am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd21
How can you have " My partner blows whistle with HALF (.5) a second before buzzer" with only ".3 seconds" left on clock?
Clock should have run out.
I think he was claiming .15 was left on the clock. In which case, most clocks I've seen would only be displaying .1. So if you saw .1 on the clock whenever the whistle blew, that's the information you give the referee so they can put time back on the clock.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I think he was claiming .15 was left on the clock. In which case, most clocks I've seen would only be displaying .1. So if you saw .1 on the clock whenever the whistle blew, that's the information you give the referee so they can put time back on the clock.

If I see .1 second on the clock when the whistle blows, I'm not seeing it. I mean, put back a tenth of a second??? I don't think so.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

so then do we still shoot the free throws with no time on the clock or is the game over and no free throws?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:56pm

You need to clarify your story a bit as to what happened and when. You say he called a foul a 1/2 a second before the buzzer goes off but there was only 3/10's of a second left? Plus if B scored with 3/10's of a second left the clock should have ran out before the other team could even remotely would have a chance to inbounds it.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref
so then do we still shoot the free throws with no time on the clock or is the game over and no free throws?
After the expiration of playing time of the fourth quarter or any extra period, free-throws should not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game (5-6-3 Exception). Since the score was tied, you let the girl shoot the first of the 1 and 1. If she makes it, the game is over and team A wins. If she misses, you have to play overtime to determine the winner.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

okay, I checked out the case book on this:

5.2.5 Situation C: With three-tenths of a second or less left in a tied game, each team is in the bonus. Team A has a throw-in on the end line near their basket. A1 throws the ball to A5 near the block who catches the ball and quickly shoots. A5 is fouled by B3 just prior to the period ending horn. The ball goes through A's basket.
RULING:
Since A5 may not control the ball and attempt a try with three-tenths of a second or less, A5 cannot score a goal and is not considered in the act of shooting. However, B3's foul cannot be ignored and is considered a common foul. A5 is awarded a one-and-one bonus free-throw situation with the lane cleared.

So, the only thing that we did wrong was give her the second shot after she had already successfully made the first one.

Thanks for all your replies everyone.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 05:23pm

lorenj

I see your from Tahlequah. I'm supposed to be coming there Tuesday night for their game with Claremore. Are you guys just totally iced in and do you think they will have school? You obviously have electricity but I hear south and east of Tulsa is pretty bad,

Last edited by sj; Sat Jan 13, 2007 at 05:29pm.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
lorenj

I see your from Tahlequah. I'm supposed to be coming there Tuesday night for their game with Claremore. Are you guys just totally iced in and do you think they will have school? You obviously have electricity but I hear south and east of Tulsa is pretty bad,
sj,

Right now, the streets are clear. We are supposed to have freezing rain and ice pellets until Sunday night, but there is supposed to be little or no accumulation on the streets. My guess is that there will be school on Tuesday (Tahlequah Public Schools is usually stubborn when it comes to closing school).
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

unless the foul is a train wreck pass i would probably pass on this and go to overtime.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just for my own info, swan, could you please clarify how much time was on the clock when all this happened? I still don't get how there could be a shot, an inbound, and a foul all in less than 3/10 of a second.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 12:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Juulie, Occam's Razor seems appropriate here.
Basket made and timeout called with .3 seconds left. I know he didn't state there was a TO, but it's the only way to explain the rest of the story.