The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   College Basketball Referee Camps (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30790-college-basketball-referee-camps.html)

budjones05 Thu Jan 11, 2007 07:30pm

College Basketball Referee Camps

I was trying to find some information about referee camps at the college level. Do you know where I can find some information about theses camps.
Thanks, Bud

Zack Thu Jan 11, 2007 07:55pm

In the NW area, stripezone.com

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 12, 2007 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05
I was trying to find some information about referee camps at the college level. Do you know where I can find some information about theses camps.
Thanks, Bud

Bud, if you are trying to get into college you have to decide if you want to go to a women's or men's camp.

Scrapper1 Fri Jan 12, 2007 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Bud, if you are trying to get into college you have to decide if you want to go to a women's or men's camp.

This may or may not be true. Some assignors (usually below the D1 level) assign for both men's and women's games. You may be able to go to that assignor's camp whichever side you work (or are willing to work, if you're not yet doing college games). This is probably the exception, but they are out there.

If you already have ambitions for one side or the other, that probably will help you decide which camp(s) will be right for you.

Junker Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:11am

Check around your area. You may want to go to a smaller college camp first, maybe even JUCO.

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This may or may not be true. Some assignors (usually below the D1 level) assign for both men's and women's games. You may be able to go to that assignor's camp whichever side you work (or are willing to work, if you're not yet doing college games). This is probably the exception, but they are out there.

If you already have ambitions for one side or the other, that probably will help you decide which camp(s) will be right for you.

In WI and IL (for the most part) we have seperate assignors and seperate staffs.

Scrapper1 Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:37am

Quote:

In WI and IL (for the most part) we have seperate assignors and seperate staffs.

I think -- for the most part :) -- that's the way it is all over. But I have run into a couple of people who do both. In general, though, you're absolutely right.

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 12, 2007 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think -- for the most part :) -- that's the way it is all over. But I have run into a couple of people who do both. In general, though, you're absolutely right.

IMO they should have separate supervisors and staffs. With the rules and mechanics differences you don't to justice to either one if you do both. Officiating or Supervising.

budjones05 Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26pm

Quote:

Right now, I want to see which is most easy for me. If I do choose, it will most likely be mens

deecee Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:34pm

men's is MOST difficult -- womens game is easier to get into and advance and at least it will get you out there. but men's is the much tougher road.

budjones05 Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
men's is MOST difficult -- womens game is easier to get into and advance and at least it will get you out there. but men's is the much tougher road.

Never really thought about that. Maybe women :S

JRutledge Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59pm

A lot of this depends on where you live and your age and level you aspire to achieve. It is relatively easier to advance to the Women's game, but if you are not a woman you might find certain road blocks that you will not see as a women official. I have too many examples of this.

Also at this time there are not a lot of announced camps. Unless the camp is in the spring, camp information will not go out until the season is over or just about over. There are some exceptions, but dates, times and places are usually not made public right now. Wait in about a month and I am sure more of that information will be all over the place.

Peace

rockyroad Fri Jan 12, 2007 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee

Wow...talk about a sweeping generalization. And one that - like JRutledge said - is not necessarily accurate.

Junker Fri Jan 12, 2007 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Wow...talk about a sweeping generalization. And one that - like JRutledge said - is not necessarily accurate.

I agree. Both sides have their challenges. Personally I'm struggling because I know I'm a little short for the men's (not that I couldn't make it, but it's tougher if you're not above 6') and on the women's side, I'm not a woman. Right now I'm working on the women's side with aspirations of moving to men's with an assignor that is currently using me. In a season or 2 I'm hoping to have to commit to one or the other but its not a choice I'm looking forward to making.

zebraman Fri Jan 12, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
and on the women's side, I'm not a woman.

Go for the sex change operation. Referee magazine will do an article on you for sure. :D