The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA over and back

Excuse my ignorance of FIBA rules but one of our leagues has decided to use FIBA and I am doing a tournament this weekend and am confused about the over and back rules. Any help would be appreciated.

As I read the rules from http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/dow...p?file_id=328:

28.1.3: “The ball goes into the team’s frontcourt when: It touches the frontcourt or it touches a player or official who has part of his body in contact with the frontcourt.”

30.1.1: “The ball goes into the team’s backcourt when: It touches the backcourt or it touches a player or official who has part of his body in contact with the backcourt.”

30.1.2 then goes on to say that it is a violation to be the last to touch in the backcourt, ball goes into frontcourt and then be the first to touch in the backcourt.

So does this mean that the following are violations:

1. Player A1 dribbles up to the division line stops with feet in the backcourt and dribbles the ball on the floor in the front court.

2. Player A2 catches the ball with one foot in the back court and one foot in the front court (since now the ball according to the above rules jas BOTH front and back court status).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

1. It's a violation, unless the player advances their feet into the front court as well. Rationale (unofficial, but sensible): the first dribble established front court status; the player must advance with the ball.

2. This situation depends on the following circumstances (note - the player cannot establish both front and back court status):
a) if both feet were on the floor when the ball was caught, the player may advance the backcourt foot to the front court (no violation, unless they travel), but may not bring the frontcourt foot to the backcourt or dribble in the backcourt (violation).
b) if the player catches the ball with one foot in the backcourt and then puts the other foot down in the frontcourt, play on.
c) if the player catches the ball with one foot in the frontcourt, they cannot put the other foot down in the backcourt or dribble the ball in the backcourt (both violations).

In the situation you describe, as long the player's next movement (step, dribble or pass) is in the frontcourt, there is no violation. If their next movement is to the backcourt, they have committed a violation.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The FEEBLE rule on over and back is simple. If you go over the top of the bunker, it's only to surrender. Going back is the same as surrendering. Don't forget to drop your rifle.

I understand they're now serving Freedom Fries at the P.O.W. camps.

Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43
2. Player A2 catches the ball with one foot in the back court and one foot in the front court (since now the ball according to the above rules jas BOTH front and back court status).
If the ball is passed to him from the frontcourt it is a violation, if the ball is coming from the backcourt it is ok, though.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
If the ball is passed to him from the frontcourt it is a violation, if the ball is coming from the backcourt it is ok, though.
Okay, what if
a) the player who catches this pass (from the backcourt) then passes the ball back to a player in the backcourt?
b) the player who catches this pass lifts his frontcourt foot and puts it down in the backcourt?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, what if
a) the player who catches this pass (from the backcourt) then passes the ball back to a player in the backcourt?
b) the player who catches this pass lifts his frontcourt foot and puts it down in the backcourt?
Both BC violations in FIBA
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:49am
MABO Member

FIBA defines establishing Frontcourt status as having "one point" in the front court, compared to the three points from NCAA and I think Fed.

Therefore, the rules for determining when a violation has occurred can be thought of the same way in all rule sets as long as you have established court position first.

I think this makes sense! So confused.....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
FIBA defines establishing Frontcourt status as having "one point" in the front court, compared to the three points from NCAA and I think Fed.

Therefore, the rules for determining when a violation has occurred can be thought of the same way in all rule sets as long as you have established court position first.

I think this makes sense! So confused.....
There are many differences between NCAA and FIBA regarding the "ball in the back court".

For FIBA the rule holds also during a throw-in from a spot adjacent to the front court. There is also no safety provision for a defensive player catching the ball while airborne and landing in the back court.

A player in FIBA can have both front court and back court status, for example receiving a pass having one foot in the back court and the other in the front court. In this case there is no violation if the ball comes from the back court, but now the ball has front court status. So the player cannot lift the foot in the front court or pass the ball to another player in the same position. It is not allowed to return the ball in the back court.

So far the rule makes sense, it is just different from NCAA's and Fed's.

Where the rule is very weak is regarding a dribbler who is crossing the division line. Strictly speaking, if the dribbler has both feet in the back court and bounces the ball in the front court, it would be a violation; but no officials is calling it, of course. What we look for is the global movement of the dribbler: if it is forward, no call. The same if the dribbler stops at the line for a moment and then goes forward.

The problem is when the dribbler finds a defender just over the division line and turns their back to them. It can happen that both feet go in the front court and the ball bounces in the back court. Again, if the global movement is forward, no official calls the violation.

It would be much clearer if the rule were as NCAA's. Alas, it isn't.

Ciao
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
...A player in FIBA can have both front court and back court status, for example receiving a pass having one foot in the back court and the other in the front court...What we look for is the global movement of the dribbler: if it is forward, no call. The same if the dribbler stops at the line for a moment and then goes forward...
There appears to be a contradiction between having both front and back court status and the concept of global movement. Once they reach the front court with one point, they establish front court status, with allowance for global movement. I don't see where the FIBA book discusses dual status. As a concept for clarification, I see your point.