The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bob Knight's Latest

After breaking the record today, Coach Knight received a number of trophies, one of which was presented by a commissioner of the Big 12. After receiving that trophy, here is part of the statement made by coach Knight:

"You know it's been a real pleasure to be in the Big 12......I have really enjoyed Big 12 Competition, the teams, the coaches, and actually, on occassion, I have enjoyed the officiating."

Love him or hate him, you gotta respect what he's done.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game and I must admit that I was surprised to hear Dan Schulman make an intelligent comment about the rules. When the Texas Tech crowd was yelling for a travel at one point, Schulman said that the UM player did not have have control of the ball; thus it was not a travel. Wow!

As for Knight, I am ambilavent about his success. He is honest, he does not cheat, he is a great coach etc... Yet I cannot get past some of the comments and actions that he has done over the years. Would I want my son to play for him? I'm not sure.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Honestly, I don't. What difference does it make how many wins and losses you have when you are remembered for being a first-class jerk?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with zman. Its like he goes miles out of his way just to be a hateful person.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Honestly, I don't. What difference does it make how many wins and losses you have when you are remembered for being a first-class jerk?

There are athletes and coaches out there that you find yourself pulling for sometimes, not because you like that team necessarily but because you like what that person stands for and how he/she conducts himself/herself. BK isn't one of them, IMHO.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Nah. I have no respect for him. This "trophy" ceremony is a good example. Dean Smith had no such ceremony win he broke Rupp's record. Pat Summit had no such ceremony when she broke Smith's record.

Good article describing how most people feel.

Knight Has Record, Plus Tarnished Legacy

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:24pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I would agree with this if we lived in a society that also called the guy who puts on a good public persona a jerk. Did anyone just think of coach K?

Also, you have to respect the fact that he has three championships with one NBA all-star while Dean Smith has two championships with 12 all-stars - and many more pro players than Knight.

I don't have a problem with people disliking outspoken people like Knight, Bonds and Barkley as long as they aren't gullable enough to think a lot of other sports figures aren't like them. There are two other super-popular sports figures that come to mind. One of them has skeletons flying out of the closet left and right and the other one is still keeping up the image.

I would rather deal with someone who I know is a jerk than someone who is trying to snowball me. And yes I'm from Indiana so my opinions are tainted.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not from Iniana, I'm from Iowa. I was happy to see Knight leave the Hoosiers for selfish reasons. I do respect what he's done. Yeah, he's a hard-headed jerk, but he lays it all out on the table. I can appreciate brutal honesty. Would I want him babysitting my 6 year old daughter (or son)? Absolutely not. Would I want him coaching my 20 year old son? Yes.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Whether you think the man is a jerk is more about you than him. First of all he has never been a jerk to me. Secondly the people that say he is a jerk are often people in the media who comments about the same stupid stuff as we talk about when Billy Packer opens his mouth or many other commentators give an opinion about something they know nothing about. I think Bobby Knight is one of the few coaches that challenge the media and the media does everything to try to blow out of proportion things he does. For one most media people never played a single minute of college basketball or any sport in HS, but for some reason because they want an interview, all sports figures are supposed to help make their jobs easier by telling them something they already know by what they saw. I just watched a Michigan team stick up the Rose Bowl in person and I do not need Lloyd Carr to tell me what happen. I already saw what happen. But if you do not give an interview to the right reporter as a player or coach, I am a bad guy. Give me a break.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I just watched a Michigan team stink up the Rose Bowl in person and I do not need Lloyd Carr to tell me what happen. I already saw what happen.

Peace
And if I recollect correctly, didn't you say you would be in Pasadena? How bad did it really smell?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I don't like Knight, because his misbehavior (which seems to be great entertainment) sets such a bad example for the 99% of coaches who will never coach in the pros or college.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

JRut, I don't need anybody in the media to tell me that BK did or didn't strike a player or throw a chair. Your routine of taking the oppositional side and attempting to put a politically correct spin on a fairly obvious situation grows tiresome.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm not from Iniana, I'm from Iowa. I was happy to see Knight leave the Hoosiers for selfish reasons.
I thought he was fired!

Quote:
I do respect what he's done. Yeah, he's a hard-headed jerk, but he lays it all out on the table. I can appreciate brutal honesty. Would I want him babysitting my 6 year old daughter (or son)? Absolutely not. Would I want him coaching my 20 year old son? Yes.
I agree with this, but sometimes, brutally honest is too honest, imo. The same can be accomplished thru lesser means. Dean Smith for example.

What I find most displeasureable about Knight which is often overlooked, is how he treats his peers or other college administrative personnel. When you add that in to his on-the-court behavior, this is not something to be desired. I know what Knight is allowed to get away with, others, especially minorities, would be fired the next day, and this guy is still coaching! That's incredible, and you want to give him an award, wow! I'm concerned our society has no morals anymore. ESPN will give Hitler an award if he won this many games. What a disgrace!!!!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I thought he was fired!
I didn't imply otherwise. I simply said I was happy for selfish reasons.
Quote:
What I find most displeasureable about Knight which is often overlooked, is how he treats his peers or other college administrative personnel.
Overlooked by whom? It's discussed constantly when his name gets brought up.
Quote:
When you add that in to his on-the-court behavior, this is not something to be desired. I know what Knight is allowed to get away with, others, especially minorities, would be fired the next day, and this guy is still coaching! That's incredible, and you want to give him an award, wow!
And there have been examples of minority coaches who get away with the same type of behavior. The key factor hasn't been skin color, but success levels. All kinds of white coaches would have been fired for Knight's behavior as well.
Quote:
ESPN will give Hitler an award if he won this many games. What a disgrace!!!!
Seriously, you're comparing Knight to Hitler? Seriously? "Hyperbole" just doesn't do this justice.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I thought he was fired!

I agree with this, but sometimes, brutally honest is too honest, imo. The same can be accomplished thru lesser means. Dean Smith for example.

What I find most displeasureable about Knight which is often overlooked, is how he treats his peers or other college administrative personnel. When you add that in to his on-the-court behavior, this is not something to be desired. I know what Knight is allowed to get away with, others, especially minorities, would be fired the next day, and this guy is still coaching! That's incredible, and you want to give him an award, wow! I'm concerned our society has no morals anymore. ESPN will give Hitler an award if he won this many games. What a disgrace!!!!
It usually takes a lot longer in a discussion for Godwin's Law to apply.
Closed Thread