The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 06:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
No, it's not suspeneded from the ring if it is laying over the top.
Well, if it's not suspended, then why doesn't the net fall on the floor?

Riddle me that, Batman.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, if it's not suspended, then why doesn't the net fall on the floor?

Riddle me that, Batman.

Is your dinner plate suspended from the table? No. Yet it doesn't fall to the floor.

Do you really have no idea what suspended means?

"To hang so as to allow free movement" (American Heritage Dictionary).
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Is your dinner plate suspended from the table? No. Yet it doesn't fall to the floor.

Do you really have no idea what suspended means?

"To hang so as to allow free movement" (American Heritage Dictionary).
Do you really have no idea what hanging means?

Isn't the net still HANGING from the ring even when it's bottom is curled up on top of the ring?

"Hanging":- from Dictionary.com--"to fasten or attach a thing so that it is only supported from ABOVE or at a point near it's top; suspend."

If the net is on top of the ring, tell me how it can then be supported from above, Camron?

Nice try picking out a definition that could be skewed to fit your skewed thinking.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 08:40pm.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Yup, and isn't the net still HANGING from the ring even when it's bottom is curled up on top of the ring?

Back in the old days, the netting could get caught up in the rim "hook & eye" gizmos after a swish. But usually it was not in a position to reject a ball on a shot. Nothing a good layup wouldn't cure.

Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Here's my last contribution to this thread. Fix it. But don't stop the game. If it happens more than once, have a kid stand near the endline and poke it with a broom or something once the players are on the other end of the court.

Nobody is saying that you can't fix it. Just don't stop the game to do it. JMHO.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Here's my last contribution to this thread. Fix it. But don't stop the game. If it happens more than once, have a kid stand near the endline and poke it with a broom or something once the players are on the other end of the court.

Nobody is saying that you can't fix it. Just don't stop the game to do it. JMHO.
You are wise beyond your years.

Yada, yada, yada....
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Isn't the net still HANGING from the ring even when it's bottom is curled up on top of the ring?

"Hanging":- from Dictionary.com--"to fasten or attach a thing so that it is only supported from ABOVE or at a point near it's top; suspend."

If the net is on top of the ring, tell me how it can then be supported from above, Camron?

Nice try picking out a definition that could be skewed to fit your skewed thinking.
It's the only definition that remotely fits (from dictionary.com) I didn't pick one.

You just made my point for me. Even hanging say that the support is above the object. If the net is over the ring, the ring can't be above the net.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
O' irony of ironies! Rut is quoting an old ruling by the NFHS which is not in a current book.
There is a huge difference in you and me. I know this ruling was old and I am not saying it has to be followed to the letter like you do all the time.

Quote:
PS Whatever was put out if it was by the NFHS, I believe it was a lot more than two years ago. Perhaps what you saw came from the IHSA.
Actually you would be wrong (again). This was addressed in the NF Guidebook which is put out by the NF and Referee Magazine. Officials from Illinois get a free copy when they attend IHSA Rules Meetings. And it could not have been more than 3 years ago. I am out of town and do not have access to my old guidebooks to give an exact year. I will also say that what the NF said to do was not a hard line ruling. They gave a couple of ways to handle this and basically put the onus on the schools and game management to fix this problem. I neither agree nor disagree either way with the position of the NF. I just said how it was talked about through the NF and how they addressed this situation.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

After everything I have read here debating this, I would say I would stop the game based on rule 1-10-1 ... 15-18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the rim.

or if possible and known - change the nets. Not fair to the shooters to have to shoot at a not normal looknig target.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This was addressed in the NF Guidebook which is put out by the NF and Referee Magazine. Officials from Illinois get a free copy when they attend IHSA Rules Meetings. And it could not have been more than 3 years ago. I am out of town and do not have access to my old guidebooks to give an exact year. I will also say that what the NF said to do was not a hard line ruling. They gave a couple of ways to handle this and basically put the onus on the schools and game management to fix this problem. I neither agree nor disagree either way with the position of the NF. I just said how it was talked about through the NF and how they addressed this situation.
Ok, I went and found the book of which you speak.
http://secure.referee.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=307

It is not immediately clear who is responsible for the content. Is it Referee, Inc., NASO, the NFHS, all of the above, or some of each. These groups are contracting with each other more everyday and now have joint ventures and publications. We've had that discussion before, so I don't wish to rehash it. Anyway as that is a minor point, I'm not going to quibble over it. I'm just confused as to why the NFHS would publish the Officials Manual and also partake in the writing of this Officials Guidebook.

Anyway what I would like to focus upon is that I would like to see exactly what was written in this book from whichever officiating source it comes on the issue of the flipped up net. I'm sure that it could be helpful.

Thanks for making me aware of this publication.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Ok, I went and found the book of which you speak.
http://secure.referee.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=307

It is not immediately clear who is responsible for the content. Is it Referee, Inc., NASO, the NFHS, all of the above, or some of each. These groups are contracting with each other more everyday and now have joint ventures and publications. We've had that discussion before, so I don't wish to rehash it. Anyway as that is a minor point, I'm not going to quibble over it. I'm just confused as to why the NFHS would publish the Officials Manual and also partake in the writing of this Officials Guidebook.
I am not going to get in a big debate either, but when the NF slaps their name all over this publication, they are signing off on the content. So as far as I am concerned, it is from the NF directly. Understand that many things discussed in this Guidebook are not rulings or "official" remarks. Many are just suggestions and little tidbits to do things better or look at a particular situation in a different way. This was not a comment like a POE, Editorial change or a Rules change. This was just a little article about nets getting caught up. No different than when in this publication they discussed how to deal with coaches in difficult situations. I take this content the same way I do when I read the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebooks. It is published by NASO but the content is signed off on by the NF. I think the NF likes the software that NASO uses and their database of officiating content to help them produce a good product.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Virginia State Interpreter Says "Play On"

After seeing the lack of consensus in this thread, I contacted the Virginia High School League's state basketball interpreter. She replied:

"DO NOTHING. Officials should not stop play to fix the net, even if the
team playing toward that basket complains."
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckert
After seeing the lack of consensus in this thread, I contacted the Virginia High School League's state basketball interpreter.
You should have done this anyway. All we are here are a bunch of "talking heads" in most cases are not official spokespeople for any organization or group what would have any power to give a personal interpretation. Now if Chuck was here all bets would be off.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It is not immediately clear who is responsible for the content. Is it Referee, Inc., NASO, the NFHS, all of the above, or some of each.
Fwiw, it was my understanding that the only books actually certified for sale by the NFHS will have the NFHS logo on their cover. NASO only sells 2 books approved by the NFHS, I think. They are the "Simplified and Illustrated" comic book and the "Rules By Topic". Any other mechanics books, etc. issued by NASO may be correct as per the NFHS issued rules books and the "OFFICIALS MANUAL", but they are not guaranteed to be correct. If there are any differences, and I don't have a clue whether there are any, then the FED MANUAL is the one to follow.

That's my understanding fwiw.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Fwiw, it was my understanding that the only books actually certified for sale by the NFHS will have the NFHS logo on their cover. NASO only sells 2 books approved by the NFHS, I think. They are the "Simplified and Illustrated" comic book and the "Rules By Topic". Any other mechanics books, etc. issued by NASO may be correct as per the NFHS issued rules books and the "OFFICIALS MANUAL", but they are not guaranteed to be correct. If there are any differences, and I don't have a clue whether there are any, then the FED MANUAL is the one to follow.

That's my understanding fwiw.
The Guidebook I am referring to have the NF logo on it and from memory is called the NF Guidebook. You are making way too much out of this to get around the fact that the NF puts out information in this publication as another source for content. I also seriously do not think Referee Magazine/NASO would not at the very least confirm information that they get and put out in this guide. Also they get direct quotes from Mary Struckoff and other Committee members when talking about these issues. They are telling you what the committee wants you to know, not what they think they want you to know. When I get home and look sometime tonight, I will explain what is on the book. I even believe they make a statement in the book that this is a NF Publication. This has nothing to do with Referee Magazine other than the fact NASO is involved and NASO uses many of the same illustrations that are produced for Referee Magazine. I did not buy these publications, I get them free every single year and in every sport when I attend each Rules meeting. I usually have them with me when I officiate as a reference guide to new rules or POEs before the season.

Peace