The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS rule 6.7. That rule states very explicitly when the clock should be stopped. If the FED had wanted to stop play for nets hung up, they sureasheck would have put it in 6-7 so that all of us knew and followed a standard procedure. It ain't in there, is it?
If you really want to be that stubborn, assume that a circuit breaker for the lights trips but the scoreboard is still on. Are you suggesting that play should continue in the dark since nothing in 6-7 says to stop the clock if the lights go out?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Is that supposed to be an answer to my question?

I've never seen a rim not return to it's proper position after a dunk.
I've never seen a net prevent a ball from going through the basket.
I have, on both accounts. I've seen the net so well hooked that it made it impossible for the ball to go through....not just possibly affect it.

What are you going to do when, eventually, that ball springs off the net like a trampoline on each of 2-3 trys by the team. The coach is going to be legitimately furious that you didn't fix the net when it should have been fixed and his team is now without a deserved bucket.

Quote:
Still waiting on that rule, case play, or interp?
I've posted a rule that specifies how the net is supposed to be. I've seen nothing providing a counter to that.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
If you really want to be that stubborn, assume that a circuit breaker for the lights trips but the scoreboard is still on. Are you suggesting that play should continue in the dark since nothing in 6-7 says to stop the clock if the lights go out?
I supplied a rule. Have you got a rules citation saying something different?

If the FED wanted officials to stop play every time a net hung up, it would be listed to do so in rule 6-7. It isn't.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

LOL! Exactly. That's all you have. The net has not been removed. It's still suspended from the ring, even if part of it is flipped up. You have nothing that says to stop the game and play with the net.

Congratulations!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 09:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I've posted a rule that specifies how the net is supposed to be. I've seen nothing providing a counter to that.
Oh, I get it. Applying that rule all the time, if a player just hits the net so that it moves sideways--the net doesn't get hung up on the rim at all- it just gets knocked sideways so that it is no longer suspended 15"-18" under the ring, that means that we're supposed to immediately blow our whistle and stop play, no matter where the ball is.

Yup, that makes a whole buncha sense.

You and Nevada can follow that one, Camron. I'll go by rule 6-7.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I supplied a rule. Have you got a rules citation saying something different?
I did. You chose to ignore it.
Quote:
If the FED wanted officials to stop play every time a net hung up, it would be listed to do so in rule 6-7. It isn't.
So, your saying you'll keep playing under any condition that is not explicity listed in 6-7 such as:
  • ball develops a leak and goes flat
  • net get stuck across the rim (and you see a ball bounce off of it)
  • backboard padding becomes dislodged and falls to the floor under the basket
  • the rim breaks
  • the backboard breaks
  • Debris on the court,
  • water on the court
  • lights outf
  • ire in the bleachers
  • etc.
all since you have no explicit rule that tell you to stop the game.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 04:07am.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL! Exactly. That's all you have. The net has not been removed. It's still suspended from the ring, even if part of it is flipped up. You have nothing that says to stop the game and play with the net.

Congratulations!
If part of it is over the top, how can the net be below the ring??? The definition of suspended is hanging, not laying on top. This is not quantum physics, the net (all of it) is either below the rim or it is not. If the net is not below the rim, it should be.

No one has yet address my question of a breakaway rim not returning to it's normal position after a dunk...one around here did that for a while until the school replaced it. Are you maintaining that since no rule says to fix it, that you'll play with the heavily tilted rim until the next natural whistle? Tough luck for the team that has to shoot at it unless they want to burn a timeout????

I can't believe you'd not stop the game to fix the rim and if you do stop the game, what rule are you using to do so? You can't do so and remain consistent with the net issue. If you fix one, you have to fix the other for the same reason.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I did. You chose to ignore it.

Um, no, I certainly did respond to your citation of rule 1-10-1. For some unknown reason you're ignoring my response. I'm still waiting for you to respond to my question.

Again, using your logic, are you going to stop the game every time the net is hit by a player so that it is no longer suspended vertically 15-18" below the ring? And if not, why not? Don't you believe in the rule being applied equitably and consistently the entire game? Iow, do you advocate calling the rule only some of the time, not all of the time?

Btw, I'm sure if the FED hadda agreed with your interpretation of 1-10-1, it woulda found it's way into R6-7.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Um, no, I certainly did respond to your citation of rule 1-10-1. For some unknown reason you're ignoring my response. I'm still waiting for you to respond to my question.

Again, using your logic, are you going to stop the game every time the net is hit by a player so that it is no longer suspended vertically 15-18" below the ring? And if not, why not? Don't you believe in the rule being applied equitably and consistently the entire game? Iow, do you advocate calling the rule only some of the time, not all of the time?

Btw, I'm sure if the FED hadda agreed with your interpretation of 1-10-1, it woulda found it's way into R6-7.
Actually, if this was earth-shakingly important enough to argue about (again) for four pages, it would be in the book.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Actually, if this was earth-shakingly important enough to argue about (again) for four pages, it would be in the book.
Actually, if you don't care, why post?
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, if you don't care, why post?
Hey, just an observation. It seems that this one gets obsessed and argued about a lot. I remember going around in circles with this one before, and never coming to a definitive answer. Besides, maybe I'm reeeeaaaallllly bored.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It doesn't say anything about "vertical". My contention is that if it is over the top of the ring, it is not beneath the ring. That is all.

Quote:
How can you be so sure? I seem to recall other cases where you and/or others were so sure that were later clarified to be the opposite. 6-7 is not an exhaustive list of reasons to stop the clock...just the common reasons.

Check out 7-8...
Timeout occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when and official:
Art. 2....Stops play:
d. For any other situations or an emergency.

There it is....a rule that gives me authority to stop the clock and fix the net.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 02:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) It doesn't say anything about "vertical". My contention is that if it is over the top of the ring, it is not beneath the ring. That is all.
It says "suspended". The net is still suspended from the ring even if the bottom part of the net is over the top, isn't it?

What's your reason again?
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It says "suspended". The net is still suspended from the ring even if the bottom part of the net is over the top, isn't it?

What's your reason again?
No, it's not suspeneded from the ring if it is laying over the top.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 05:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
This happened twice in a recent game. Both times there was a whistle from the old trail/new lead [otherwise known as my unpatched partner] after made baskets. My approach is to fix it the next time there is a dead ball at that end. I don't blow a whistle when a kid has his shirt untucked or his mouthguard out, I take care of it at the next dead ball. I put the netting slightly out of kilter in the same category with the exception that I am not marching down to the other end to fix it at the next dead ball.