The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Techical Foul-Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30625-techical-foul-ejection.html)

armymanjones Fri Jan 05, 2007 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
Simple scenario, A1 gets the ball stolen by B1. A1 is having a bad night and yells "You F***ing Su*k" towards B1 loud enough for you to hear.

1. What would the proper call be?
2. Could this be an unsporting technical during a live-ball?
3. What is the penalty?

Not trying to prove a point, I'm just trying to further my education. This whole discussion just raised some questions.

I'll sit down and be quiet now.

Thanks

This would be an unsporting tech but there is no contact in this situation.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Jan 05, 2007 02:47pm

Quote:

Simple scenario, A1 gets the ball stolen by B1. A1 is having a bad night and yells "You F***ing Su*k" towards B1 loud enough for you to hear.

3. What is the penalty?

Not trying to prove a point, I'm just trying to further my education. This whole discussion just raised some questions.

Thanks

Wait for the layup if it's a fast break by B, delayed USC technical foul on A1. I believe there's case support for the delayed call in this one, but I'm out the door to get some pants tailored.

Dan_ref Fri Jan 05, 2007 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I don't think I took that part. There are several options. I listed the relevant ones that I could think of. Your response fit quite naturally (without any help from me) into option 1. Are there options that I didn't list?

That's interesting. While you state

"You choose option 1: lie. I choose option 2. I say tomato, you say STFU."

we should still assume your argument does not exclude the possibility that a near-infinite number of other options *might* exist and are available for subsequent rebuttal. Very interesting...the "I voted for the funding before I voted against it" school. Should I file this under the heading of "honesty" or merely "intellectually lazy"?

Quote:

You may laugh at this, but I had a really hard time perpetuating the Santa thing. My wife really loved how excited my daughter would get, so I went along; but I really didn't like it and I didn't participate in it. In fact, I would take my daughter with me to pick out my wife's stocking gifts. This made my wife mad, but it was my attempt at being honest, as far as I could.
You may laugh at this, but used to be when a fan would innocently ask me what I thought of a call I really, really tried and help them out by explaining the intricacies involved. But that just made them mad, so my attempt at being honest, as far as I could, devolved to "Sorry friend, I wasn't looking. I have no idea what just happened."

Of course your brand of honesty is so much cleaner than mine, isn't it?

refnjoe Fri Jan 05, 2007 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
Wow, I had to quote myself! :)

I have been reading (on this board) and listening (in my local area) about officials calling technical fouls on contact during live balls. So my question was asking if this is happening a lot. I ask that because it shouldn't be! We are talking about contact during a live ball. Please don't muddy the waters by adding unsportsmanlike act into the equation. Make your own equation for that!

Yes, thanks tomegun. It DOES seem to be happening alot- and even recently happened in a Division 1 game I posted about in another thread. Im glad some here clarified the statements about being able to call a T at anytime- because it confused me at first (again)! :)

Somewhere along the lines, some people seem to have learned that flagrant contact equals a technical foul...

It is so hard to UNLEARN, huh? ;)

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2007 03:56pm

Quote:

3. What is the penalty?

Thanks

Me thinks among some of our forum vets that the T signal would be followed by a mechanic often utilized by baseball umpires.

Scrapper1 Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Very interesting...the "I voted for the funding before I voted against it" school.

I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Quote:

Should I file this under the heading of "honesty" or merely "intellectually lazy"?
Neither. What are some of the other nearly infinite options? I can think of 3 obvious ones that are reasonable options:

1) Respond by lying. (This could be by saying that the official got it right; or by saying that you don't know; or by saying that you didn't see it when you did see it.)

2) Respond truthfully. (This could be by explaining the rule; or by saying that you don't like to discuss rules with fans; or by saying that you didn't see it when you actually didn't.)

3) Do not respond and simply ignore the question. (Feign death, in "Far Side" terms.)

Of course there are other options, like punching out the questioner or changing seats to avoid answering or farting in his general direction. But those seem not to be reasonable choices. So if I've been intellectually lazy, what are my other reasonable, nearly infinite, choices?

rainmaker Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:17pm

Quote:

Of course there are other options, like punching out the questioner or changing seats to avoid answering or farting in his general direction. But those seem not to be reasonable choices.

A lot of teen-age boys would disagree with this assessment.

Dan_ref Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:32pm

Quote:

Neither. What are some of the other nearly infinite options? I can think of 3 obvious ones that are reasonable options:

1) Respond by lying. (This could be by saying that the official got it right; or by saying that you don't know; or by saying that you didn't see it when you did see it.)

2) Respond truthfully. (This could be by explaining the rule; or by saying that you don't like to discuss rules with fans; or by saying that you didn't see it when you actually didn't.)

3) Do not respond and simply ignore the question. (Feign death, in "Far Side" terms.)

Of course there are other options, like punching out the questioner or changing seats to avoid answering or farting in his general direction. But those seem not to be reasonable choices. So if I've been intellectually lazy, what are my other reasonable, nearly infinite, choices?

Why do you assume "I didn't see it" is absolutely a lie?

In fact "I didn't see it" is exactly the truth. Only the calling official knows what he did see or didn't see to cause him to blow or not blow the whistle.

Why do you assume "I have no idea what's going on" is an absolute lie?

In fact only the calling official know's why he did or did not blow the whistle.

And finally...which of your 3 categories does making your daughter shop for her mom's Chritmas gift to avoid telling her the absolute truth about Santa Claus fall into?

Lie? Truth? Feigning death?

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:47pm

Can't we all just learn the subtleties of being disingenuous?

rainmaker Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

The trick is to learn the art of "defining" terms. Ms. Manners says that all brides and all babies are by definition beautiful. It's not lying to tell your boss, your sister or your next-door neighbor's cousin that their baby is beautiful, even if both the babies eyes are different colors and her nose has a huge pimple on one side (ditto any bride). It's not a lie because by definition of being a baby, or a bride that person is beautiful. It's a very useful skill.

Dan_ref Fri Jan 05, 2007 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef

I prefer to think of it as creative truth telling.

Some prefer to live by the notion that truth defines a universal absolute and inflexible reality...(except when their daughters or certain embarrasing senate votes are involved of course...edit to include ugly brides and malformed babies)

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 05, 2007 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Ms. Manners says that all brides and all babies are by definition beautiful.

Ms. Manners can bite me.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 05, 2007 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I gave this sitch to one of our higher ups and he told me you can call a technical foul on anyone at anytime.

Quote:

Sure, if you call it unsportsmanlike.

Quote:

I didn't say that. But an unsportsmanlike foul is always technical, regardless of when it occurs, live ball or dead. So the mentor was right. A technical foul can be on anyone at any time. That was my only point.

However, you cannot call an unsporting foul for a play involving contact. That's just the definition. So I have to disagree with you.

4-19-14 . . . An unsporting foul is a noncontact technical foul which consists of unfair, unethical, dishonorable conduct or any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.