The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Held Ball Situation

SITUATION: A1's frontcourt-ball near the baseline-most players in or around the paint and close to A1 and B1.

Players A1 and B1 both have their hands on the ball for a split second while facing the lead. They then continue struggling for another split second and end up turning their backs away from the lead, which opened them up toward the division line (and trail). Another split second goes by and the lead hasn't blown his whistle. My question: Should the trail call the held ball even though it's right in front of the lead (who quite possibly is shielded) and not in the trails area?

Wondering what you experienced officials would do...hope I explained it clearly enough. Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
SITUATION: A1's frontcourt-ball near the baseline-most players in or around the paint and close to A1 and B1.

Players A1 and B1 both have their hands on the ball for a split second while facing the lead. They then continue struggling for another split second and end up turning their backs away from the lead, which opened them up toward the division line (and trail). Another split second goes by and the lead hasn't blown his whistle. My question: Should the trail call the held ball even though it's right in front of the lead (who quite possibly is shielded) and not in the trails area?

Wondering what you experienced officials would do...hope I explained it clearly enough. Thanks.
I'm sure Tomegun would love to answer this one.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

If I were the Lead and got blocked out by the players' bodies and my Trail happened to be looking over there, saw the play, and called a held ball, I would say "Thank you."

There are times to help your partner. However, knowing when to do so is one of the hardest aspects of officiating.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

If after a few seconds the lead fails to call a held ball and I see that it is a held ball and my partner is blocked I call the held ball. Teamwork is always a good thing. I'm not saying you call out of your area but if all players are in one area ,why would you be looking anywhere else? Help is always appreciated when given in the spirt of the game. If you get it right that's the main thing!!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

If I am the Lead, and I am screened from seeing the play, and the Trail (or Center) makes a call that I "cannot" make, I think that is a good thing. Like Nevada said too . . . there is a time and a place. Seems like your description fits the "time and place" mantra.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 08:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

The Trail's looking at that anyway, watching for traveling. So why wouldn't the Trail have a whistle on that?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The Trail's looking at that anyway, watching for traveling. So why wouldn't the Trail have a whistle on that?
I believe that he is asking about 2-man officiating.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 08:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I believe that he is asking about 2-man officiating.
Ok. In that case, if it's on the Trail's side of the lane (away from the Lead), I'd say grab it. That's the Trail's primary anyway. If it's on the Trail's side of the lane and the Lead has come ballside, that's tougher because the Trail may still be watching off the ball (hopefully); but I would still grab it if I saw it. If it's right in front of the Lead on the Lead's side of the lane, I'm not sure how the Trail would have a good look. Even if you did get a good look, that's a looooooong way to go to make that call.