The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ready and waiting with the T

I don't know if this is a problem anyewhere else but I officiate with anther senior official who is a tecnical foul calling machine. I am in complete agreement with game management and support my crew always but this official averages a tech almost every game against a player, coach, or he may throw a fan out. Every coach knows him as a tech caller. How do you deal with this? I manage better then most because I am senior and can defuse most situation.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymanjones
I don't know if this is a problem anyewhere else but I officiate with anther senior official who is a tecnical foul calling machine. I am in complete agreement with game management and support my crew always but this official averages a tech almost every game against a player, coach, or he may throw a fan out. Every coach knows him as a tech caller. How do you deal with this? I manage better then most because I am senior and can defuse most situation.
What level are you reffing at? A ref can't throw a fan out. That's up to game management. If you're working with him and can't control your choice of partners, not much you can do but get in, get done, get out.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

By throwing a fan out I mean requesting that game management does it and this is at the high school V level. He is a good ref as far as calling the game. I think it is a social thing. I don't think he played well with others as a kid. Just kidding, he's a good guy, just hot tempered which can be a problem in this profession.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't know if this is a problem anyewhere else but I officiate with another senior official who is a technical foul calling machine. I am in complete agreement with game management and support my crew always but this official averages a tech almost every game against a player, coach, or he may throw a fan out. Every coach knows him as a tech caller. How do you deal with this?
Don't deal with it.

Every official has a different level of tolerance. While you're second-guessing him for being too strict, he might also be second-guessing you for being too soft. The bottom line is that the coaches and players will adjust to both of you if they have any brains at all. As long as the game is kept under control and both teams are treated the same way, it shouldn't be a factor.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You call your game and let him call his. If he has a quick whistle and is short on tolerance, the players, coaches, fans, etc will pick up and adjust. So can you. It just might be that the two of you will compliment one another.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ask him about it. Be friendly, just ask his thoughts.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Ask him about it. Be friendly, just ask his thoughts.
I tend to disagree. What do you say. "Hey Charlie, I notice you call a lot of T's on people. Why are you so uptight?" I'm sure there are more appropriate ways you could couch the question, but unless you are in a mentor/mentee situation, I wouldn't try it.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:39am
Huck Finn

OK, I will try to work on reducing my T count.

No, take every situation and evaluate the reason why he gave a technical foul. After the next time you work with him (or now if you remember) come back and tell us a specific situation that happened.
I believe there aren't enough technical fouls called in high school games. Almost every place I've worked, there could be at least one legitimate reason to call a technical. I will be interested to hear what he is calling technicals for.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that you have to talke to him about the situation and you may have to be stern with him.

If it bothers you so much that you posted it maybe it is time to look for a new partner.

Managing a game is one of the most important traits that an official needs to learn.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:25am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I agree that you have to talke to him about the situation and you may have to be stern with him.
Can you give me an example of how you would do this since the OP said they are both senior officials? Just curious so I know how to be stern with someone when I feel like my opinion is the correct opinion and we are both senior officials.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef

If it bothers you so much that you posted it maybe it is time to look for a new partner.

Managing a game is one of the most important traits that an official needs to learn.
My thinking: If he were truly throwing around unwarranted T's then the assignor would say something to him or the schools wouldn't be hiring him (whichever is the case where he works).
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
My thinking: If he were truly throwing around unwarranted T's then the assignor would say something to him or the schools wouldn't be hiring him (whichever is the case where he works).
I agree with this. If the official has been around for a while, I'm sure word is out that they take care of business. Personally I'd rather work with someone that isn't afraid to enforce sportsmanship than someone who takes too much crap. Do his technicals and ejections make the games better?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:35am
MABO Member

I like to get a feel for how my partner will handle situations in pre-game. One thing I ask another senior official is "How will we handle difficult situations? Do we let them (coaches/players) vent a little or hit them right away, depending on what and how they say things. What kind of tolerance do you have for this? Just so we can be on same page to start tonight."

This way we both are thinking the same way. It has worked well for me and my partners. Of course there is always the exception!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I don't like having the would of, could of, should of, attitude after a game. If a player or coach crosses the line, take care of business. A "T" is just administering the rules. It's not personal. I can't say I have ever thought that a technical foul wasn't deserved when it was given. Just my opinion.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
OK, I will try to work on reducing my T count.

No, take every situation and evaluate the reason why he gave a technical foul. After the next time you work with him (or now if you remember) come back and tell us a specific situation that happened.
I believe there aren't enough technical fouls called in high school games. Almost every place I've worked, there could be at least one legitimate reason to call a technical. I will be interested to hear what he is calling technicals for.
I agree that not enough T's are called. So far this week I have seen a thrown clipboard and a coach , standing at the division line , 5 feet into the court, yelling at a ref. The refs had nothing. They apparently were exercising their game management skills.....