The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

First to touch on shot?

A1 attempts a try on a fast break. The ball hits high on the glass. A1's momentum carrys her OOB and she quickly comes back in bounds and is the first to touch the ball. Both feet were back inbounds when she touched. Legal or not?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.

Mregor
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is not the football and it especially is not the NFL.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
A1 attempts a try on a fast break. The ball hits high on the glass. A1's momentum carrys her OOB and she quickly comes back in bounds and is the first to touch the ball. Both feet were back inbounds when she touched. Legal or not?
Perfectly legal. There is no rule in basketball about being the first to touch a ball when you come in bounds, at least NFHS. One foot is enough to establish an on-court position. The only way it's a violation is if she jumps from OOB and touches the ball before establishing a position inbounds. It's not like the NFL.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Another example and this happened in a varsity girls game and was discussed after the game with the crew and later I phoned a Div. I official.

A1 recieves the inbound pass from A2 after a made basket by Team B. A1 begins to dribble and trips over her own feet and stumbles out of bounds. The ball remains inbounds. There is no pressure from the defense (all five players are on the other end of the court). A2 is running from backcourt and doe snot see this. There is no one else even close to the play. A1 collects herself returns from OOB to inbounds where she continues the dribble.

Legal?

Same principle as the other example.

This play was allowed originally, but after all officials were in agreement that it should have been called a violation.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another example and this happened in a varsity girls game and was discussed after the game with the crew and later I phoned a Div. I official.

A1 recieves the inbound pass from A2 after a made basket by Team B. A1 begins to dribble and trips over her own feet and stumbles out of bounds. The ball remains inbounds. There is no pressure from the defense (all five players are on the other end of the court). A2 is running from backcourt and doe snot see this. There is no one else even close to the play. A1 collects herself returns from OOB to inbounds where she continues the dribble.

Legal?

This play was allowed originally, but after all officials were in agreement that it should have been called a violation.
Cite me a rule. It's not a violation, it was called correctly. A player has the same position from wherever his/her feet last touched.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Legal?

Why did ALL think it was a violation? What was the ruling?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks to me like she lost control, thus an interrupted dribble. Perfectly legal. The only way you could rule the ball OOB when not touching a player who has OOB status is if you deem the player in continuous control of the dribble. An interrupted dribble does not meet this requirement.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I can't exactly recall the why they said this. Something to do with A1 can't be the first to touch the ball once they went OOB. I thought this was wrong but after five officals said this is a violation and kept quiet until i saw the play tonight with the shot and the player going OOB and then returning inbounds to touch or get the rebound and nobody touching it since A1.

Now, another example.

A1 is dribbling near the sideline where they accidently run into A2 the ball continues to bounce inbounds while A1 goes OOB with both feet. A1 then returns inbounds with one or two feet and continues dribble or picks up the ball. A1 was the only player to touch ball during this sequence. I assume this is a legal play?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't exactly recall the why they said this. Something to do with A1 can't be the first to touch the ball once they went OOB. I thought this was wrong but after five officals said this is a violation and kept quiet until i saw the play tonight with the shot and the player going OOB and then returning inbounds to touch or get the rebound and nobody touching it since A1.

Now, another example.

A1 is dribbling near the sideline where they accidently run into A2 the ball continues to bounce inbounds while A1 goes OOB with both feet. A1 then returns inbounds with one or two feet and continues dribble or picks up the ball. A1 was the only player to touch ball during this sequence. I assume this is a legal play?
Apply the principle stated before, a player has the same position where his/her feet last touched. Legal.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

The five officials are wrong. See the case plays under 7.1. All of these are legal plays. There is no rule that forbids a player from being the first to touch the ball after being OOB, as long as there's no player control while OOB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yup, again, it's a classic interrupted dribble during which there is no player control. The only way a player can commit an OOB violation without either the ball going OOB or touching the ball while standing OOB is to be in continuous control of a dribble while stepping OOB (even if the player doesn't actually touch the ball and OOB at the same time). I'm going to stop now that I'm starting to get redundant.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:38pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Now, another example.
Snaq's original post is still the appropriate answer. Still legal. No player control, so it doesn't violate (the pertinent rule) 9-3-Note:

9-3-Note: The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

Refer also to the following:
4-15-5 An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

4-15-6-d During an interrupted dribble: Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

This helps and why this board is such an assest. A lot of people who are good officials have gotten this wrong.

There is no rule on last to touch and first to touch in NFHS basketball, correct?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This helps and why this board is such an assest. A lot of people who are good officials have gotten this wrong.

There is no rule on last to touch and first to touch in NFHS basketball, correct?
Finally, at long last, yes! Correct! Although it's an all-too-common misconception.