The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Shirt tucked in

Boys JV game. During FT administration official tells player to tuck in shirt from about 20 feet away. Tells him again. Tells him again. Issues delay of game warning.

Player says, "Huh?" He never heard the official. IPODs are ruining the kids' hearing, LOL.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

If he doesn't hear by the 2nd time, I'm sure the coach will hear me loud and clear when I say "I need a sub!!"
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you can issue a delay of game warning in the case. This is not one of the four delay of games warnings. 4-47-1.2.3.4 Rule Book

A player not conforming to the uniform policy shall be directed to leave the game. 4-15 Rule Book
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I don't think you can issue a delay of game warning in the case. This is not one of the four delay of games warnings. 4-47-1.2.3.4 Rule Book

A player not conforming to the uniform policy shall be directed to leave the game. 4-15 Rule Book
You got it.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GoodwillRef I don't think you can issue a delay of game warning in the case. This is not one of the four delay of games warnings. 4-47-1.2.3.4 Rule Book

"Ditto"

Players do not COME IN or STAY IN with the shirt tail out.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
"Ditto"

Players do not COME IN or STAY IN with the shirt tail out.
I know that I'm gonna kick myself for starting this but.....

This came up on the NFHS forum.....

Does the shirt-tucked-in rule(NFHS 3-4-15) apply at all times and any time during the game? Pre-game warm-ups? Bench personnel? Intermissions?

If so, what is the penalty for non-compliance?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Does the shirt-tucked-in rule(NFHS 3-4-15) apply at all times and any time during the game? Pre-game warm-ups? Bench personnel? Intermissions?

Common sense officiating should answer this one. Don't go looking for trouble it will find you.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jurassic Referee Quote:

I don't have my books handy to verify so this is strictly my opinion, The rule applies to all players involved in "live ball" situations. I do not believe the rule pertains to bench personnel or players during intermissions. To be blunt, "If we are playing ball, they will make every effort to keep it in."
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Common sense officiating should answer this one. Don't go looking for trouble it will find you.
Forget common sense.....

What do the rules say?

Do players in the pre-game warm-up have to tuck their shirts in?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I am sorry but its time for the obituary again.

Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows:

Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.
Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.

A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.

C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.

Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:44pm
Never Stop Learning

I guess I'll chime in on this one seeings I started the discussion on the NFHS site. In pregame warm-ups I look for many things that I feel are prevenitive officiating. The rule book might not specifically address these things but I feel it is good game management. I look for many things like jewelery, sweatbands, headbands, hair clips, etc. One of the things I ask of the team members is to tuck in their jerseys if they do not have warm-ups on over them. What they do on the bench or during intermissions I'm not too concerned with but during pregame warm-ups I don't feel I am overstepping my bounds to nicely ask that team members tuck in their jerseys as they will have to have them that way when they play. Not a big deal but I feel this is a starting of setting the tone for the game.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
I guess I'll chime in on this one seeings I started the discussion on the NFHS site. In pregame warm-ups I look for many things that I feel are prevenitive officiating. The rule book might not specifically address these things but I feel it is good game management. I look for many things like jewelery, sweatbands, headbands, hair clips, etc. One of the things I ask of the team members is to tuck in their jerseys if they do not have warm-ups on over them. What they do on the bench or during intermissions I'm not too concerned with but during pregame warm-ups I don't feel I am overstepping my bounds to nicely ask that team members tuck in their jerseys as they will have to have them that way when they play. Not a big deal but I feel this is a starting of setting the tone for the game.
Does that mean that rule does apply during warm-ups, Ed, but it doesn't apply during the game to bench personnel?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 04:15pm
Never Stop Learning

I guess what I am saying is the rule doesn't apply to pre-game warm-ups or bench personal. As stated (3-4-15) " A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt and the pants/skirt shall be above the hips and worn properly." It doesn't say when or where, but if a team member is representing a school I feel that it is appropriate for them to look and act respectfully. Would you let a team member wear their shorts with the waist down below their butt cheeks during warm-ups, or wear gold chains, rings, watches, ball caps, hair ribbons, multiple colored sweatbands, full length tights, and other such things? The uniform and how it is worn is again a Point Of Emphasis again this year, I feel that the pregame is a great time to emphasize the proper wearing of the uniform. As far as bench personnel, unless they are drawing undo attention to themselves I'm busy officiating a game. If they take the jersey off in the bench area and we see that then that is another story, for another thread.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 04:24pm.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
As stated (3-4-15) " A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt and the pants/skirt shall be above the hips and worn properly."

1) Would you let a team member wear their shorts with the waist down below their butt cheeks during warm-ups

2) or wear gold chains, rings, watches, ball caps, hair ribbons, multiple colored sweatbands, full length tights, and other such things?
1) That's covered under UNIFORMS- rule 3-4-15 also. To be consistent, I would say that you would have to call it exactly the same as the "shirt-tuck" rule. And, again, if you are consistent, shouldn't both be called the whole game, including pre-game, on the bench, intermissions, etc.?

2) There's a completely different rule and philosophy covering these items. They are covered under EQUIPMENT, APPAREL in rule 3-5, and are banned completely. The items in 3-4-15 aren't banned but are supposed to be worn in a certain way. Iow, you're comparing apples vs. oranges rules-wise.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Forget common sense.....

What do the rules say?

Do players in the pre-game warm-up have to tuck their shirts in?
No they don't and they also don't have to have all the snaps- snapped on their warmup pants.