The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Three Blind Mice

Did anyone see the Nets/Pistons game ending that has Kidd all whiny? He claims a touch foul was called on Carter with 7.2 left, but that Carter was fouled on a last second shot that wasn't called. Just curious to hear the perspective of anyone who saw it. In all my years reffing, seldom have I seen players and/or coaches get more emotional than over a perceived foul that would be a shooter on the line to win or tie. It's almost like they expect the ref to bail them out with a chance, and then it's the ref's fault if it's not there.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

If you look at the other thread on Making the Call, with Ronnie Nunn, it sounds like this is the call being referred to in there. Ronnie Nunn, on a TV show on NBA TV, said that this call was missed because the official was out of position and got straightlined on the play.

Kidd deserved the 20K fine. I don't believe any official is out there to intentionally screw anyone. And if the nets don't miss 9 free throws, then they win the game. Kidd needs to save his commentary for his 2 buddies that went 2-5 from the line.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

When I saw this play live, I actually thought it was incidental contact, and Carter had a clear look at the basket, so I would have missed it too. The thing that really upset the Nets players and coaches was that Carter had just been called for a block on the other end that appeared to have involved much less contact. Of course, the situations were different, but it was fresh in the players' minds.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

The NBA goes so much be adv/disadv that it is a judgement call and I guess he thought it did not put Carter at that much of a disadvantage. NO way the are trying to "screw" anyone. After the fact, he may have rethought it, but we don't have the replay option to rethink it.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

and besides they passed on the first tripping foul- why not suck on the whistle and let the players decide the outcome of the game?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue
and besides they passed on the first tripping foul- why not suck on the whistle and let the players decide the outcome of the game?
Let the players decide the outcome how? By playing Rock-Paper-Scissors? Flipping a coin?

I know, how about letting them decide the outcome by playing basketball. By the rules. And how to make sure they're doing so by the rules? Oh yeah, those guys with the whistles.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:07pm

I've seen some really inconsistent officiating from the NBA so far this year. Kidd's got a point. When the games on the line, don't call a soft foul on one end and nothing on the other. That's all the players want, well, some of them, no, that's not right either.

Assuming Nunn is talking about the same play. If I read this correctly, he's saying the player got foul but the official was out of position. Which means to me, why didn't the other officials step up and make the call? Hey, these guys are suppose to be the best officials in the business, especially since they had the soft foul on the other end.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
If I read this correctly, he's saying the player got foul but the official was out of position. Which means to me, why didn't the other officials step up and make the call?
Because they were watching THEIR areas perhaps?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I've seen some really inconsistent officiating from the NBA so far this year. Kidd's got a point. When the games on the line, don't call a soft foul on one end and nothing on the other. That's all the players want, well, some of them, no, that's not right either.

Assuming Nunn is talking about the same play. If I read this correctly, he's saying the player got foul but the official was out of position. Which means to me, why didn't the other officials step up and make the call? Hey, these guys are suppose to be the best officials in the business, especially since they had the soft foul on the other end.
Just as I get told to retire the trophy, you come up with this. Might not be your dumbest, but it's in the top 5.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 01:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Just as I get told to retire the trophy, you come up with this. Might not be your dumbest, but it's in the top 5.
Two words for everybody: "Ignore list".
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know about the ignore list. I choose not to. If I start calling for this guy to be removed from the board, then you can tell me to shut up and ignore him.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Losers

I heard an adage once, "The first team to complain is the one that's going to lose." When I coach, I try very hard to impress that on my players. Complaining is an excuse for losing. A game is not won or lost on the last play, ever. There are always countless missed opportunities, mistakes, etc. that had a bearing on the final outcome. I'm always disappointed when I hear an athlete put a loss on the officials. It happens a lot. In 13 years, I've probably coached 100 games and reffed 1000. I don't even want to hazard a guess as to how many I've seen on TV or watched as a fan. Lots. But in all of that, I can honestly say that there's been only one game I've ever seen that the way an official conducted himself had a direct bearing on the outcome of the game.