The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 08:56am
M.A.S.H.

Holiday Tournaments

Best of luck to everyone working Holiday Tournaments. Probably some of you started yesterday or even before the holiday. I start my holiday schedule tonight. Looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I started last night and they didn't seem to be of joy and good cheer - had to run a grade six coach because he wanted to be an idiot and challenge the loss of coaching box after he got whacked.
When I told him to sit down the third time and he did the up, down, up, down and up thing - I ran him. Then he was so incensed that I would think of running him - did I mention that he was getting trounced
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Best of luck to everyone working Holiday Tournaments. Probably some of you started yesterday or even before the holiday. I start my holiday schedule tonight. Looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun!
Varsity boys tonight
Varsity boys tomorrow night
Varsity boys Friday morning
Varsity girls Friday night
Varsity girls Saturday

All 3-person, although we're taking only 2 game checks for 2 of the 5 games.

I've packed the ibuprofen.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I started last night and they didn't seem to be of joy and good cheer - had to run a grade six coach because he wanted to be an idiot and challenge the loss of coaching box after he got whacked.
When I told him to sit down the third time and he did the up, down, up, down and up thing - I ran him. Then he was so incensed that I would think of running him - did I mention that he was getting trounced
Thank goodness my state had the common sense to only allow the box in varsity games.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Although I'm not working it, I probably will go to watch tonight's game at a tournament here in the Portland area (Hillsboro) in which Kevin Love (generally considered the top prep player in the nation) is playing. Kevin is a 6'10" post with really sweet moves. He plays for Lake Oswego HS and has signed with UCLA. He is the son of former Oregon standout and NBA player Stan Love.

Believe me, the guy has skeeeeels.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Start tomorrow. Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls Christmas Classic. 16 Teams in each division. Currently have 10 games in three days, but will probably get 2-3 more. Love every minute I am on the floor. I hope everyone else enjoys their tournaments as well.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Start tomorrow. Varsity Boys and Varsity Girls Christmas Classic. 16 Teams in each division. Currently have 10 games in three days, but will probably get 2-3 more. Love every minute I am on the floor. I hope everyone else enjoys their tournaments as well.
Somewhere over the last 5-6 years, I stopped enjoying working this quantity of games. The schedule I posted earlier in this thread is about my maximum these days. It's also a reason why I dislike camps, I think.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there a huge official shortage where you live?

It's nice for the bank account, but seriously that is too many games. Even great officials become average when they work that many games a day, especially when you do it again the next day.

As for my schedule...Boys varsity last night, tonight and tomorrow all 3 person, yippee...then another boys game on Saturday. This is the big one, because the state commissioner is there with both state evaluators, so post season assignments are on the line.

Last edited by blindzebra; Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 02:38pm.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Somewhere over the last 5-6 years, I stopped enjoying working this quantity of games. The schedule I posted earlier in this thread is about my maximum these days. It's also a reason why I dislike camps, I think.
I hear you. Unfortunately the most important camp in my area (at least if you want to get hired by the local college assigner) is a gamefest. Summer before last I went to this camp on Mon-Wed and a second camp on Thu - Sat. I worked 30+ games that week, 8 on the first day. Somewhere during the second camp I developed a nasty case of tendonitis in my right foot. It still bothers me.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
A big schedule can wear and tear on you, but I have been off for over a week now, and I am well rested. The games are also spread out across the day, each day. Usually a 2+ hour break in between each game with games starting at 8:00 am. I start early and finish late, but I enjoy the time. I know in a few years I will be cutting back, but for now, while my body can handle it, I run as much as I am capable of running.

As for the pay, it's nice, but I know a lot of other areas get paid better. I mainly do it because I really do love being an official. I am sure that sounds simple and even silly, but when I look at my officiating and when I get asked about my officiating, I always say, "I am getting paid for the TIME I am giving on the court. If getting paid for my time were not an issue (and money itself were not an issue), I would run games for free." I am absolutely sincere.

I went to a college camp this past summer and called 17 games in four days. Ended up breaking a bone in my foot. NOT fun. I had fun, but couldn't run for almost two months after that. Those are the sacrifices some people make to get picked up. We don't have to like it, but we do have to do it.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 05:52pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Although I'm not working it, I probably will go to watch tonight's game at a tournament here in the Portland area (Hillsboro) in which Kevin Love (generally considered the top prep player in the nation) is playing. Kevin is a 6'10" post with really sweet moves. He plays for Lake Oswego HS and has signed with UCLA. He is the son of former Oregon standout and NBA player Stan Love.

Believe me, the guy has skeeeeels.
I bet this statement would cause some people down at USC and in West Virginia to roll their eyes. Just wanted to point out - Love is not considered the best player by many. OJ Mayo is the name I've heard the most. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/recru...all/top150.htm
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
OJ Mayo is the name I've heard the most.
Hold the Mayo. All you need is Love.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I have 11 in 4 days, including 2 games which will be my first 3-person games. Very excited about finally being assigned 3-person games. Best thing for me is I have great partners who will make me feel very comfortable out on the court. The crazy thing is that for both of these games I will be the R.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 08:38pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Hold the Mayo. All you need is Love.
Now that I'm back from throwing up.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 01:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
A big schedule can wear and tear on you, but I have been off for over a week now, and I am well rested. The games are also spread out across the day, each day. Usually a 2+ hour break in between each game with games starting at 8:00 am. I start early and finish late, but I enjoy the time. I know in a few years I will be cutting back, but for now, while my body can handle it, I run as much as I am capable of running.

As for the pay, it's nice, but I know a lot of other areas get paid better. I mainly do it because I really do love being an official. I am sure that sounds simple and even silly, but when I look at my officiating and when I get asked about my officiating, I always say, "I am getting paid for the TIME I am giving on the court. If getting paid for my time were not an issue (and money itself were not an issue), I would run games for free." I am absolutely sincere.

I went to a college camp this past summer and called 17 games in four days. Ended up breaking a bone in my foot. NOT fun. I had fun, but couldn't run for almost two months after that. Those are the sacrifices some people make to get picked up. We don't have to like it, but we do have to do it.
Unless we have no desire to get picked up, of course. It would take a lot for me to work more than 2 in a day anymore.

We set a record tonight, at least for us. 15 fouls in the third quarter and the visiting team was in the double bonus with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. Sometimes there's not much you can do, but....