The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Did anybody watch the Holiday Bowl last night? I was on a treadmill and would look up for passing glances (if I turn my head to look too long without holding the side rail, I fall off) and I kept seeing the white hat on the sideline. Did somebody get hurt and they all slid over? If they did, why would the R move?

Anybody know the switching order?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

The alternate official went in for the FJ after he blew his hamstring. It seems he only had a white hat and a "R" for his shirt.

I'm not sure if the alternate fills in at any position or if they might rotate depending on who's hurt.

If he knew how to play the odds he might've had a black hat.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Oh.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

It was a Big Ten crew (Bill Lemmonier's - a very solid crew) and I believe the official that got hurt was doing the final game of his career.

This same exact thing happened either earlier on in the season or late last year with the same alternate filling in. You would have thought he'd have brought another hat after the first time he filled in.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Right - what are the chances of the R getting hurt as opposed to the U or the deep guys. Aren't their placards velcroed on so they can switch them (R, HL, U etc)? Is it too much to ask to bring a black hat?
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I can even put up with an R on his back along the sidelines, but get a black hat PLEASE!!!!!

Don't tell me everyone else on the crew only brought 1 black hat. Didn't fit? What's the deal? It looked terrible, but probably only to us officials.

As soon as we turned on the game, I spotted it and told my son that something was wrong. I just couldn't sit there and not comment about how odd it looked EVERY time the camera caught him. After "Dad, get over it" for the 20th time and as I was once again reminded that most people watch the players, not the officials, I decided to console myself with a glass of wine and my Referee magazine.