The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Violation, Delay of Game, Technical, what is the call?

First half. Ten players counted and ready to play after a timeout. Official hands ball to A1, who makes the inbound pass to A2. As possession begins, A3 steps off the court and sits on the bench. B1 has a steal and is going the other way when C official picks up that Team A has only four players on the court.

Question. Is this a violation, or a violation and delay of game warning, or delay of game with a technical?

Since an official is aware of the problem and Team B had an advantage with an easy opportunity to score, should you allow Team B to finish that advantage?

In our situation, C killed the play and gave a technical to Team A. We discussed at halftime without conclusively coming to the proper procedure. What do you think?

Violations and Penalties
9.3.2 . . . A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation (calling a violation negated the advantage and scoring opportunity for Team B).

Team Technical
10.1.5e . . . Not having the court ready for play following any time-out after any team warning for delay (not applicable due to live ball with both teams ready and no warnings previously given for delay)

10.9 . . . Fail to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. (not applicable since live ball occurred with both teams ready)
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

According to the rules you posted ... I would say violation, but tough to blow the whistle when the other team is about to try an uncontested layup.

Be interested to see what the vets post.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

let Team B finish it's play (I successful shot attempt I assume) and then penalize Team A (I'd go with a T).
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
let Team B finish it's play (I successful shot attempt I assume) and then penalize Team A (I'd go with a T).
What is the T for?
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:23am
We don't rent pigs

9.3.2 comment: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored.
The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior.

Hold the whistle, let B finish the play. Then call the violation, which will give B the ball back. The play described in the op sounds like confusion, as opposed to unsporting behavior.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
9.3.2 comment: Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored.
The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior.

Hold the whistle, let B finish the play. Then call the violation, which will give B the ball back. The play described in the op sounds like confusion, as opposed to unsporting behavior.
That's correct. This is a new case book play. It was issued as an interp on the website last season when leaving the court was changed from a T to a violation.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 08:23am
M.A.S.H.

I don't think I'd have a T in this situation. A simple violation would do the trick, IMO.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

A violation only if B does not make the layup.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref

I have been meaning to ask about the, "If time is not a factor...", part of this case for a while. Other than the expiration of a period or a game on ESPN at 9pm that I want to get home in time to watch, is there an instance when time could be a factor that affects this play?
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
A violation only if B does not make the layup.
Check your casebook.