The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable error on an intentional foul

Washington 47, LSU 30 with 1:02 remaining in the 1st half.

LSU's Dameon Mason steals the ball in the backcourt near the top of the key and starts to dribble the other way. Washington's Adrian Oliver grabs his shorts from behind. An intentional foul is properly called. Unfortunately, the officials put LSU's Tasmin Mitchell at the FT line and he makes the first attempt. Now the Washington coaching staff points out the problem to the officials. The monitor is consulted and the correctable error is fixed by taking away the point from the FT and putting Dameon Mason at the line for 2FTs.

I've never seen the wrong shooter go to the line on an intentional foul before!
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

That is a bit of a misconception that is happening more at the high school level--an intentional foul (because of the 2 shot penalty) is being thought of as a technical foul. Thus, the coaches think that anyone can shoot. I am surprised that this would happen in a DI game, or the officials in the game allowed it.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Washington 47, LSU 30 with 1:02 remaining in the 1st half.

LSU's Dameon Mason steals the ball in the backcourt near the top of the key and starts to dribble the other way. Washington's Adrian Oliver grabs his shorts from behind. An intentional foul is properly called. Unfortunately, the officials put LSU's Tasmin Mitchell at the FT line and he makes the first attempt. Now the Washington coaching staff points out the problem to the officials. The monitor is consulted and the correctable error is fixed by taking away the point from the FT and putting Dameon Mason at the line for 2FTs.

I've never seen the wrong shooter go to the line on an intentional foul before!
The player that got fouled was #2 and he quickly passed it to #3 and then the whistle was blown and at that point #3 had the ball. I see how this could have happen. They got the call right in the end.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
The player that got fouled was #2 and he quickly passed it to #3 and then the whistle was blown and at that point #3 had the ball. I see how this could have happen. They got the call right in the end.
I think that the players tried some deception here. There is no way that Mitchell thought his shorts were grabbed. There is a case to be made here for a T.

A.R. 164.
A2 attempts a free throw that should have been taken by A1. RULING: When the attempt by A2 is due to a justifiable misunderstanding, there shall be no penalty. The error shall be corrected under Rule 2-11. When it is reasonable to believe that A2 knew that A1 was the designated shooter, a direct technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be called. In such a case, the direct technical foul penalty shall be administered and the game shall be re-started at the point of interruption.