The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

pass and crash ? 2 man crew nfhs

I hear this quite often in officials pre-game - "lead has crash and trail has pass on penetration". I think this is referring to a drive that starts to the basket in trail's primary and ends in lead's primary. Can some one please give me a little insight on this? Thanks.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

"Pass and crash" is used for the following situation:

A1 is driving the lane, apparently going for a shot, but, at some point (either while on the floor or in the air), passes the ball to A2. A1 (now without the ball) and B1 then collide.

In this sort of play, the instinctive thing to do is to follow the ball, and you can end up with two officials watching A2's shot, while no one knows who fouled whom in the A1/B1 collision. In the quote you described, the lead official will watch the A1/B1 collision to see whether it is a block or a charge, while the trail will watch the pass and the new ball handler (A2).

FWIW, I usually do this the opposite way. If the drive starts from the perimeter, the trail would take the "crash" and the lead would watch the "pass."
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

It should depend on where the pass goes in 2 person.

Ball starts in trails primary, pass to leads primary, crash in leads primary...trail takes crash.

Ball starts in trails primary, pass to trails primary, crash in leads primary...lead takes crash.

I've also done it where trail stays with the players...similar to following the shooter back to the floor...however you pregame it, someone needs to stay with the players.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 12:29pm
M.A.S.H.

And don't forget this is one of the reasonings behind the team control foul, therefore we aren't shooting any throws.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
It should depend on where the pass goes in 2 person.

Ball starts in trails primary, pass to leads primary, crash in leads primary...trail takes crash.

Ball starts in trails primary, pass to trails primary, crash in leads primary...lead takes crash.

I've also done it where trail stays with the players...similar to following the shooter back to the floor...however you pregame it, someone needs to stay with the players.
This is the way I do it but I think of it a little different....

Take the pass if it is to your side of the floor. Take the crash if the pass is away from your side of the floor.