The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think that officials not calling technical fouls when warranted is a much greater problem than actually calling technical fouls these days. And from the looks of both the NFHS and NCAA POE's lately, I don't seem to be alone.

This is true. I was personally involved in a situation where technicals had to be called and I called them.

Background: Team A takes a shot the shot rebounds off the rim A 44 catches the missed shot and dunks it. Everything is good until he does a chin up with the rim (Whack!). I go to report the technical and as I am reporting the technical on A 44. Team A coach comes up to me and states my partner just apologize to him for me making that call. I whack him for that state (Mental note ask partner after game). Partner cannot apologize for this one. Team A was up by four. Team B shot the two T's free thows game tied at 78. A couple more trips up and down game is over Team A 82-Team B 80. As we are leaving the court, the coach of A chases us down yelling and screaming unfavorable words about the technical I called during the game. And that by the game being over (no time on the clock) I cannot do anything about his conduct) Keep in mind he just won the game. So, I whack him again. Now, this will give Team B the chance to force overtime. Team B miss the first technical shot game over.

So when the situation warrants STICK' EM and sort them out later.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Wouldn't the game be better if you put his yappy azz in the parking lot too?

Again, I think that the act should be penalized. A lot of these other factors just aren't relevant imo. If the act deserves a "T", then call it and don't worry about it.
I agree. I was thinking too much and trying to make the game smooth. I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Been in that situation before hated it except that the player made the FT's and we go to OT and his team loses by 4 (all my fault).

Way to do the right thing.
My only regret was I didn't toss him - did you?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
Been in that situation before hated it except that the player made the FT's and we go to OT and his team loses by 4 (all my fault).

Way to do the right thing.
My only regret was I didn't toss him - did you?
Yes, he was tossed. I probably played in his favor that B missed the free-thows because he was the only coach on the bench.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Something that's been touched on here, but not specifically addressed, is does the V HC's actions in the JV game carry over into having a shorter rope in the V game? I know what I think, but was wondering what officials would feel about that.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

It should not carry over and honestly it didn't. What did carry over in my head was the fact that I had 2 in the first game and didn't want the team to blame my enforcing sportsmanship for their loss. It was a bad mistake on my part and I won't make it again.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

His actions do not directly carry over into the second game -

However as soon as he starts whining - if it is unwaranted - he is going to get a short leash - Just as if I see him down the raod this season - I am going to discuss his prior actions with my partners in pre-game if they are unaware of how he acts - and they will judge for themselves - just the same as if the two teams playing had a bench clearing brawl last time they played - we are going to talk about it and it will be a part of how we manage the game.
They behave we have no problems -
They act up we are going to NIP IT IN THE BUD,
as that most underrated of philosphers Barney Fife once said.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 02:46pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
His actions do not directly carry over into the second game -

However as soon as he starts whining - if it is unwaranted - he is going to get a short leash - Just as if I see him down the raod this season - I am going to discuss his prior actions with my partners in pre-game if they are unaware of how he acts - and they will judge for themselves - just the same as if the two teams playing had a bench clearing brawl last time they played - we are going to talk about it and it will be a part of how we manage the game.
They behave we have no problems -
They act up we are going to NIP IT IN THE BUD,
as that most underrated of philosphers Barney Fife once said.
But if you gave him a T in two games prior (one each game) wouldn't you be hesitant to give him during the third game?

We've heard from a veteran/assigner; what do you say about your thoughts now? This is the best sport in the world, IMO, and we have to do right by it. If we are always so worried about perception, we should pay admission and sit in the stands.

There was a coach in Vegas that used to give me the business. He actually gave everyone the business, but I was the one dumb enough to penalize hima and his kids appropriately. It got to the point where I wanted to give this guy a T while I was dragging my bag in the door just so we could get the first one out of the way. To make a long story short, he (and his staff) was happy to see me at state because he knew I would do what I thought was right. His team easily (boring game) won state, but I didn't do the championship. I got another championship game, which came down to the wire, and had some guy messing up at the table. Oh, that was Nevadaref!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I like your comment " We need to do right by the game" I do not worry about perceptions - I do what is necessary and deal with what happens when it happens - thus far nothing has ever happened, and I am consistantly moving up - so we just need to Stay the Course
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I don't agree at all when someone says, "Where were your partners." Many times one official is in a position to call multiple technical fouls; that is just the way it is. Similarly, we don't try to spread out common fouls evenly so technical fouls shouldn't be any different when they happen during different times of the game.
I think your only mistake is one of my pet peeves. You had too much dialogue with the coach after your partner gave him a T. You could have simply told him he must remain seated and then showed him your backside. What makes the dialogue worse is the fact that it was the second half and you didn't have to be all the way down there by him anyway. To add to the whole situation, you know you had wanted to T the coach all night and even though you didn't call the T felt the same way the calling official did. If you would have told him he had to sit and taken a position half way between the sideline and center circle in the front court the coach would have had to act like a jerk to communicate with you. Then, whack away!
Tom, you would have been happy with my partner last night.

GV/2-man crew.

In the 2nd half I hit the visiting HC with a T (my first T on a coach this season -- for those interested: I'm L table-side near his bench; he came out the box to complain about a call, I told him he needed to get back in his box and told him that was his warning, as he walks back to the top of the box he turned his head back over his shoulder says loud enough for me to hear "Shut up!"...I was appalled I tell you, just appalled ) Anyway, I digress.

I go L to administer the free throws and my partner goes across court opposite the table and monitors the players. After the 1st free throw HC is still up. So I communicate to my partner that the coach is still up and I wait as my partner goes over to the HC and and straps him in to the child seat . After my partner returns to his original position I administer the 2nd free throw.

Fast forward to the post-game. In locker room my partner asks me what I T'd the coach for. After my explanation my P tells me that after the T the coach kept yelling for him to come over and talk. My partner said he ignored him. Then when my P walked over to seatbelt the coach the coach wanted to talk and but my P told him "Coach, I'm only here to tell you you've lost your coaching box privileges". The coach then asked to my P to walk him to his seat. My partner responded "We're not going talk right now" and walked away.

Fast forward

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 11:04am.