The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Ball Watcher

Last night I had a partner who was new to me. I've never worked with him, nor seen him work any games. In fact, had never met him. Given this, it didn't bother me too much that before the first of our 2 games we taked mostly about how long we've officiated, and some about our jobs, etc.

That was a mistake. We needed a good pregame, but I'm not so sure that would have helped. I should have known it was trouble when one of the first game related questions he asked was if I had ever ejected anyone.

Anyhow, it was his ball watching that really got to me. He whistled calls that were squarely in my primary, and where I had a clear view. No trainwrecks or contact that I missed, he called violations, only one of which I was even close to calling myself, and more than once called my OOB line.

At one break I gave him a strong hint that when coaches ask me about my partners call/no call, I usually tell them "I didn't see it. I WAS LOOKING WHERE I'M SUPPOSED TO LOOK." That didn't work.

It became a get in, get done, and get out situation for me.

My partner was pleasant enough as a person, and almost as experienced as me, 3 seasons to my 4. I wonder if I should have said more, or just remember that if I work with him again I need to bring it up.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:23am
In Memoriam

It's not a bad idea to bring it up post-game, Hartsy. If he's in his third year, the possibility is there that it might not have been mentioned to him before. Of course, if he starts to become argumentive about it, just drop it...and go back to the "get out" part.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:29am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
I should have known it was trouble when one of the first game related questions he asked was if I had ever ejected anyone.
What does this mean ?
I have never ejected anyone from a basketball game.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

That's a tough one. One of the first giveaways that your partner is ball watching is when you are trail, and a 3-point attempt goes up from the top of the key, and you notice your partner signalling a 3 point attempt also. Usually at the first chance, I'll try to remind him we don't need both of us watching the shooter, and I need he/she to be watching the rebounding action. Sort of a subtle hint to be off ball.

Of couse, once I had a partner who was Lead, I was trail, and the ball just comes over the division line. Whistle. Partner calls a double dribble from the baseline. Well, I thought maybe I was screened and missed it. At a timeout I asked him what he saw. His answer was I need to be faster on my whistle and catch those violations. I thanked him for his advice, and told him I'd try to do better. My only thought after that was get in, get done, get out.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
What does this mean ?
I have never ejected anyone from a basketball game.
I'm not swift enough to tell if this is tic. I don't look at it as an ejection either. My partner apparently "enjoys" calling T's on coaches.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
I'm not swift enough to tell if this is tic. I don't look at it as an ejection either. My partner apparently "enjoys" calling T's on coaches.
Sorry, Hartsy.
What's tic ?
Thanks.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

New partners ALLWAYS require a PRE-GAME of some sort or another just to get a feel about their philosophy of the game - and how they call it - I bet that a through pre-game you might have gotten an idea this guy was a ball watcher when you brought up "let's be sure we call our primary areas first" and he went "Primary what that?".
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, Hartsy.
What's tic ?
Thanks.
Tounge-in-cheek.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Tounge-in-cheek.
Thanks, Robert.
I don't git out much.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:36am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Thanks, Robert.
I don't git out much.
So many smart-a$$ replies...so little time.
You gotta stop setting yourself up like this Mick!!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So many smart-a$$ replies...so little time.
You gotta stop setting yourself up like this Mick!!
Go for it, rocky !
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

At some point, I don't think you can be subtle in your "hints" to a partner during a game regarding calling in your area. I've found the direct method is the best: "do me a favor, DON'T call another foul or violation in my area. you take care of YOUR area and I'll take care of MY area."