The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile First varsity game, any advice?

I've got my first HS varsity game this Friday. It's pretty exciting to be able to say that. I'm there to be evaluated by my board to see if I'm ready to move up to varsity. So there's some pressure to step up and show that I'm ready.

Any advice on how not to screw this up? How to make the most of the opportunity?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:14pm
Livin' The Dream

Call'em like you see'em...that's what I tell my partner(s) before every game...
look the part - don't give'm any excuses to doubt you...
good luck!
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

1. - Get there early enough to have a good pre-game with your partners.
2. - Make sure you take your whistle out on the floor with you, and make sure your zipper is up.
3. - Make sure you have a thorough pre-game.
4. - Have fun!

Oh, before I forget, did I mention about having a good pre-game?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

First thing is to calm down before the game. In reality these games are usually easier to work from a calling point of view. What tend to bring more pressure are all the other aspects of the game. The coaches have more at stake and sometimes like to munch on the fresh meat. So just understand that if a coach has not seen you before, they might give you a hard time. All that is going to do is show that you can handle the situation when you talk to them. Also do not over react to the coaches comments. Really do not try to respond to the statements they make. Try only to respond to the questions that are legitimate. Also address behavior before responding to a coach. If a coaches is jumping up and down, do not answer any question they have but inform them they have to control them self in order for you to talk to them.

The hardest part of working a varsity game is dealing with the coaches, players and fans. The gyms tend to be much louder and there is more reaction to calls you can make. Just understand that ultimately this is just another game and you will do fine if you can block most of the antics out.

Have fun, hope everything works out in the end.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Ray --

Holy Toledo!! This is good news indeed!! Congratulations, and good luck!

1. Be sure you pack your shoes!
2. Everything that M&M said.
3. Remember, you're there because you deserve it. And you don't have to "prove" anything. You already are good enough. Just relax into your rightful position and don't get rattled.
4. It'll be like any other game, only faster. Be ready to run.
5. Enjoy yourself! Chuck couldn't on his first, but most of us can.

6. Spend a little time before and after cementing it into your memory. "You never forget your first", as my "first" partner reminds me every year at our banquet!.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Be patient with the whistle. Be a good partner. Hustle at all times. Enjoy!
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

If no one has said this yet RELAX

have fun
be yourself
they would not have sent you to be evaluated if they didn't think you were ready

Good Luck
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
If no one has said this yet RELAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First thing is to calm down before the game.
You must have not read the entire thread.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:24pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I've got my first HS varsity game this Friday. It's pretty exciting to be able to say that. I'm there to be evaluated by my board to see if I'm ready to move up to varsity. So there's some pressure to step up and show that I'm ready.

Any advice on how not to screw this up? How to make the most of the opportunity?
Ray,

Just a couple of thoughts. First congratulations. Second, remember that once the ball is in the air, it is a basketball game and you know how to officiate the game. Third, Do your job...Hustle, use proper mechanics, be in position and control the game. Finally, enjoy the experience. A friend of mine did his first D1 TV game a couple of weeks ago as a fill in. He said he decided he would "smell the flowers" while he was there because it may never happen again. He made sure that he would enjoy the experience.

Don't worry about Greg and the rest of the people there, just do your thing.

If you want to talk before or after, call me.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats! I myself had my first Vasity game last Friday. It was very exciting and a thrill to do. My partners were very helpful and explained the same thing that everybody else is saying on this post. I was a little nervous and apprehensive in the first Q but just let the game come to you and sell your calls. Good Luck!
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I hadn't worked basketball since early March. I had a long baseball season and football season between my basketball games and I don't work off season and only attended one camp this summer.

Saturday night I did a girls varsity game and tonight a boys varsity game -- normally I have 10 games in by now, but this season I wanted a bit of an extra break from officiating. In small ways, it felt like my first time out, even though I haven't worked anything but varsity games in years. It clicked, though. Tomorrow I'm back to 2-person girls varsity, though, and I dread not working 3-person.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
Congrats! I myself had my first Vasity game last Friday. It was very exciting and a thrill to do. My partners were very helpful and explained the same thing that everybody else is saying on this post. I was a little nervous and apprehensive in the first Q but just let the game come to you and sell your calls. Good Luck!
My first varsity game was 17 years ago now, in my third season of working hoops. Long time ago, but I remember how nervous I was. Last night after not working a game in over 9 months, I felt the same way.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm also kind of going through those first game excitement issues. I have 2 pretty big matchups (at least they look big to me on paper, good teams, rivals and all) this weekend on Friday and Saturday, both in a very good 4A conference. Friday night I'm with a couple of very experienced, very respected, and just downright very good officials. Saturday night I'm with one of my regular partners and another official that I've heard good things about. Last night I had a terrible Varsity blowout and it was hard to stay in that game. I found myself thinking ahead at times. I still managed to call way too many fouls in the game I was working though.