The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Penalize Insanity 2 !

Friday watching a two man crew work reserve before the Varsity -

4 minutes into the game the head coach team A is at the table screaming at the officials trying to get his attention about the AP arrow being wrong, (It isn't) they ignore him the ball comes up the court on the next possession and he is chewing on the official about blowing the AP arrow - and he needs to stop the game and give them the ball back. OOB underneath the basket and the coach is on the floor and in the officials face as timeout is called by team B. The official stops signs the coach and moves out.
Play goes on and the next tie up this caoch is telling them that the ball goes the other way because they SCREWED the POOCH on that call in first part of the game (everybody in the gym hears) and at evey subsequest tie up he has something to say also.

At half time one of our crew asks - Why haven't they lit this guy up?
Well if you T up a coach in this league you won't get any post season votes.

Guess I am not going to get any votes - 2 minutes into the game I have a block charge on the sideline in front of team A's bench the defender was out of bounds - after I explain to the head coach why it was a block - the Team A assistant " That Call sucked"
I hope he enjoys his two game suspension from the state of Indiana.

Why are people not taking care of business?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbbref
Well if you T up a coach in this league you won't get any post season votes.
You don't let criminals be prison guards either.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:22pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
the Team A assistant " That Call sucked"
Are you saying that Indiana suspends coaches for 2 games for any unsportsmanlike T? Or are you saying that you tossed the assistant for this comment and the ejection carries a suspension?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

he got tossed -
since he was standing - and he said it right to my face.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

An ejection in Indiana carries a one-game suspension penalty.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Way to take care of business. I look at the post-season as something I have very little control over so I don't get all riled up about it. I work a very good regular season schedule and I feel like I get those games because of my ability as an official. I don't want worrying about offending the wrong person creeping in my head and making me know call the game the way it should be called, but that's just me.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a much more experienced official tell me once, "look for reasons to not give the technical foul, and be sure when you do that you have exhausted all other options."

I would rather talk a coach out of the technical and allow him the opportunity to "professionally and courteously" address his concerns with us. When he believes that there is a working relationship and that I will listen to him, A LOT of those "technical" problems seem to just go away!

If that means that I am not "taking care of business," then I guess I am one of those officials that would bother you.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
I had a much more experienced official tell me once, "look for reasons to not give the technical foul, and be sure when you do that you have exhausted all other options."

I would rather talk a coach out of the technical and allow him the opportunity to "professionally and courteously" address his concerns with us. When he believes that there is a working relationship and that I will listen to him, A LOT of those "technical" problems seem to just go away!

If that means that I am not "taking care of business," then I guess I am one of those officials that would bother you.
While the JV guys may have been able to avoid the problems by addressing the coach early on; reading the OP makes me think it wouldn't have helped much. This guy needed a T early on; probably when he was at the table screaming 4 minutes into the game.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

So what part of the OP do you consider to be "professional and courteous"??? I'm thinking that if you let a coach yell "You screwed the pooch" at you, then you are part of the problem rather than part of the solution...if I am misreading what you are saying, then I apologize - but I don't think I am misreading it...
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guess I am not going to get any votes - 2 minutes into the game I have a block charge on the sideline in front of team A's bench the defender was out of bounds - after I explain to the head coach why it was a block - the Team A assistant " That Call sucked"
I agree 100% - If Assistant Coach is going to act like a fan he can go sit with them.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
I agree 100% - If Assistant Coach is going to act like a fan he can go sit with them.
He'll have to do it the next game, though, 'cause he isn't watching this one unless it's televised.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:12pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
You probably would bother me. I have said this before, but it is still good and true.

Donnee Gray who is a final four official and assigner for Maryland JUCO once told us that he can't give an official the courage to call a technical foul, but he can work with an official (to reduce the number) who calls a lot of technical fouls.

If this story went the way the OP is saying, this coach probably should have been tossed.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

When I start being overly concerned about my ratings, I'll quit and retire my whistle for good. The game is about the kids, not whether you get any postseason votes. IF you know you are right, whack him, tell him you know you are correct, let him watch the tape and then eat crow. He/she will respect you more the next time, rather than you taking abuse and not having the b@lls to do the right thing!
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

One of my personal goals for this season is to give no more than three Ts to coaches (I gave seven last season). However, I set that goal becuase I am trying to improve my skills at working and communicating with coaches. I felt part of the problem was I was "too sensitive", did not take the opportunties presented to try to smooth things during a game and did not understand that many times the comments/complaints from a coach are the result of his frustration with his team...he has been on them from the start, they aren't listening and it is simply a matter of guilt be association...I'm on the same court as the Bozo's from his school.

That said...this coach needed whacking real fast.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
One of my personal goals for this season is to give no more than three Ts to coaches (I gave seven last season). However, I set that goal becuase I am trying to improve my skills at working and communicating with coaches. I felt part of the problem was I was "too sensitive", did not take the opportunties presented to try to smooth things during a game and did not understand that many times the comments/complaints from a coach are the result of his frustration with his team...he has been on them from the start, they aren't listening and it is simply a matter of guilt be association...I'm on the same court as the Bozo's from his school.

That said...this coach needed whacking real fast.
I think that you're setting a completely artificial goal that has got absolutely nothing to do with good game management, Larry. As officials, we react to the actions of coaches, players, etc. You're going to run into situations sometimes where you could be Sister Theresa and the coach is still gonna go off on you. Those situations could certainly come up more than three times a year also, and if they do, it's usually not because of something that you have done or not done as an official. Yes, there certainly are good game-management techniques that you can use to posibly cut down down on unsporting behavior. No, those techniques sureashell will not eliminate unsporting behavior. Some coaches and players need you to show them when to stop, and a technical foul sometimes is the only way to get that point across to them.

Calling technical fouls fouls does not mean that you're failing as an official, contrary to what some testicularly-challenged officials might believe. It simply means that someone is acting in an unsporting fashion, and you, as an official, are not going to allow that to continue. No more, no less. The technical foul penalty is in the rule book for a reason, and that reason is to deter and stop unsporting behavior.