The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the Problem mens slowpitch softball game. The umpire has the wrong count and the batter fouls the ball and is called out (with two strikes the ball must be put in play) a player(not a coach or manager) sitting on the bench runs out and starts going at it with the umpire, the ump throws the player out of the game and the player spits on the ump twice. The player refuses to leave the field (our rule is that any ejected player has to leave the complex) and sits on the bench. The ump lets the game continue with the ejected player still on the bench.The other teams tells the ump that the game is under protest and the ump fails to tell the other manager about the protest. What should we do ??? HELP
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kssa
Here is the Problem mens slowpitch softball game. The umpire has the wrong count and the batter fouls the ball and is called out (with two strikes the ball must be put in play) a player(not a coach or manager) sitting on the bench runs out and starts going at it with the umpire, the ump throws the player out of the game and the player spits on the ump twice. The player refuses to leave the field (our rule is that any ejected player has to leave the complex) and sits on the bench. The ump lets the game continue with the ejected player still on the bench.The other teams tells the ump that the game is under protest and the ump fails to tell the other manager about the protest. What should we do ??? HELP
Suspend the player and ignore the protest unless the ejected player had some bearing on the game.

If your local rules insist on the ejected player leaving and he refuses to do so, declare a forfeit and move on. Though I wouldn't allow it, the umpire may have actually avoided a larger confrontation by continuing the game.

If it were me, I would have walked to my bag, pulled out my phone and called the police. Spewing bodily fluids on another isn't only uncalled for, but could be a cause for serious medical concerns these days.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Our rule is that the ejected player must leave the complex or the team forfeits the game. The problem I have is that the umpire let the game go on with the ejected player still on the bench. And he was giving the ump a hard time the rest of the game...Thanks
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kssa
Our rule is that the ejected player must leave the complex or the team forfeits the game. The problem I have is that the umpire let the game go on with the ejected player still on the bench. And he was giving the ump a hard time the rest of the game...Thanks
Then the ump isn't that smart, is he? Just allow the protest and forfeit the game. The coaches are just as responsible for knowing the local rules as the umpires, so numbnut's coach should have sent him packing.

Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Since your league rule calls for an ejected player to leave the complex, then your call is to forfeit the game to the other tema score 7-0. You have the option to call the police and press charges against the "spitter" and if it were me I would do just that. In this day and age there is no telling what "bug" the player could have spread to the ump.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback..Here is another part to this problem. Since the umpire let the game continue does the other team have to protest the game because the player did not leave the field ?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Kssa,

Since the umpire failed to enforce a written rule, the opposing team is well within their rights to protest the game, if they do so immediately, i.e. prior to the next pitch being thrown. They are then free to play out the game "under protest" and if they should happen to lose the game, I think they would have a pretty good case for having the protest upheld by stating that the dissenter's continued presence on the bench affected the outcome of the game.

SamC