The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA rules here:

Runner on 1B one out. Batter hits a line smash to SS (runner leaves base and has to "tag up" to advance). SS throws wildly out of play. Where do you put the runner at 1B?

I always hate this one!
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Put the runner at third base. (two bases from the time of the throw) However, the runner is still required to re-touch 1st base or the runner could be called out on a proper appeal.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

That is what I do. The runner at 1b had already obtained that base. Retouching does not mean reobtaining to me. However, some people dont like that explanation.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

The people that don't like that explanation are those who have been in the sport for a long time, and still believe in the 1+1 theory (the base they were going to, plus 1). The rule is simple - 2 bases from where they ARE when the ball was thrown.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't do U-trip, but I believe the award would only be 2B unless they've changed their rule recently.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Had to look this one up again because it was bugging me. USSSA it appears that they get second - the retouch seems to count as 1 base. Looks like I missed this one once before.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have always thought what NSABlue stated for USSSA, ASA, and NFHS. That the award is the base the baserunner is going to from the last base legally touched at the time of the overthrow. Therefore baserunner at 3rd base. Please state the rule numbers so I can correct myself. Thanks.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA Rule 8 Sec 7f

Base Runners are entitled to advance without liability to put out if:

F. When a ball is live after a batted ball and is overthrown into foul territory and is blocked.

EFFECT: Sec. 7. F. In all cases, when a blocked ball occurs on an ovethrown live ball, the ball is immediately dead. Each and every Base Runner is awarded two bases from the last base occupied, unless required to retouch.

1. When a FIRST throw is made by an infielder tring for a first play, the award is made from the Batter's and a Base Runner's positions at the time of the Pitch

2. When an Infielder makes any first attempt at a play, and then makes a Second attempted play or throw, or any throw from teh Outfield, the award is made from the last base touched by the Runner at the time the throw is released. Note: Should more than one runner be between the same bases, the advanced Runner governs the reward.

Blocked Ball Definition:
is a Batted or Thrown ball that is touched, stopped, or handled by a spectator or person not engaged in the game, or that touches any object which is not part of the Legal official equipment, or which hits or goes beyond a designated out-of-play area.

So unless I am reading this incorrectly. The retouch is counted as one base.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

In USSSA if the runner has failed to retag the base before fielder releases the ball the base runner is entitled to 2 bases, the one that was left early and the following base. In this case the runner only gets second base.

Mike USSSA has not changed their rule.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

As a follow-up, are ASA and NFHS the same in this case, runner only gets 2B, since the tag-up was made after the throw?
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex
As a follow-up, are ASA and NFHS the same in this case, runner only gets 2B, since the tag-up was made after the throw?
No. 2 bases from the position of the runner at the time of the throw. The direction the runner is moving makes no difference. The runner is still allowed to return to retouch bases before advancing to the awarded bases.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tex
NO!! That's why USSSA is mentioned specifically in this thread, as it is the ONLY association out there that I am aware of that rules base awards based on the old 1 + 1 (reword it as you wish, that is the basis).

Two bases for someone between 1B and 2B is 3B, no matter what direction the runner is headed in at the time of the throw. That is the ASA, NFHS, and NCAA ruling, for sure. I believe the same ruling in AFA, ISA, NSA, USFA, and alphabet soup. Just not USSSA.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

U-TRIP is the orignal base occupied + one .In the thread scenario runner is placed at 2nd base.ASA would be a 2 base award, runner goes to 3rd.