Thread: I Hate...
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
I hate working with Vet official that don't know 3-person mechanic

I swear, regardless of how many seasons/yrs you've been officiating, if you don't know 3-person mechanics, don't take the game.

It sucks to work a 3-person game with two seasoned high school officals who don't know the 3-person game. You could be working for 30 yrs, state finals, or whatever, if you don't know the 3-person game, you're a NOOB.

What sucks more is when they are assignors in your association.

haha - nice day!
As a relatively inexperienced official myself (especially regarding 3-man mechanics), but one that really want to learn, do things the right way every time, and excel in the field, I think i understand where you're coming from. I worked my first varsity game ever the other night, and had a veteran official, but one who'd been off for about 5 years and didn't know 3-man at all. It was frustrating, because I really am looking for help and would have loved a veteran who could have helped in my mechanics as well as all the other parts of the game.

BUT, you have to make the best of what you can, and in my case the other official called a solid game and had some pretty good insight on why he called it the way he did. I didn't agree with everything he said and I won't incorporate it all into what I do, but a lot of it made sense and will be helpful. The important part was that he was willing to admit he wasn't up-to-date on the mechanics and actually asked for help, so I got to assert myself that way.

You may have been frustrated, but you have to look for the opportunities you have to learn. If it's a vet who's just "hanging around" and working the game the way he did 20 years ago - you know, the type that doesn't read up on the rule book and takes half the season to figure out the new rules and still wears his collared shirts - then you just have to do your best, take what you can, and get to the next game.

No use hating on people in a message board forum.