The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

USC player pushed Kansas player into shooter

This was a play in the first couple of minutes of the second half in the KU / USC game.

A1 drives to the basket with an open layup. B1 pushes A2 into A1 and I think A1 made the basket. B1 is called for the foul and if I remember correctly A1 shot 1 free throw.

Is this right in High School or College?

The basket counts regardless because A1 had started the habitual try for goal. I would then think that Team A would get a throw-in on the endline or A2 would shoot bonus free throws if they are in the bonus. To recap B1 never touched A1.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
This was a play in the first couple of minutes of the second half in the KU / USC game.

A1 drives to the basket with an open layup. B1 pushes A2 into A1 and I think A1 made the basket. B1 is called for the foul and if I remember correctly A1 shot 1 free throw.

The basket counts regardless because A1 had started the habitual try for goal. I would then think that Team A would get a throw-in on the endline or A2 would shoot bonus free throws if they are in the bonus. To recap B1 never touched A1.
As described, I agree with you.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the play described, but I did watch some of this game. I was casually watching most of it and I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity and how the game was called. USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

After reading the NCAA rulebook I agree with you. I would also think whether to rule intentional the foul by B1.

The same would be in FIBA (but the foul could be unsportsmanlike, not intentional which does not exist) Don't know in NF
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
You are correct for both HS and college. Count the basket and give A2 1-and-1 or a throw-in closest to the spot of the foul.

In the NBA, A2 would shoot 1 free throw with players lined up to rebound.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:20am

Did they give the ball to A? Or shoot a one and one if the bonus was in effect?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.
Does that mean that they'll win about 20% of their games, just like the Bulls?

Sorry....couldn't help myself.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
Did they give the ball to A? Or shoot a one and one if the bonus was in effect?
I think they had A1 shoot 1 free throw.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Is there a case play for this specific play?

What rules would I cite for this play?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Another interesting play in the game -
Near the 12:00 mark in the 1st half, a USC bench player (B6) was up to check-in to the game. KU, A1, dribbling up the sideline, was unintentionally tripped by B6, and fell with the ball. A1 could have either been called for a travel or OOB violation, as it was hard to tell which happened first. Officials saw the incident and were aware of what happened.

Officials gave the ball to KU for a throw-in.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Another interesting play in the game -
Near the 12:00 mark in the 1st half, a USC bench player (B6) was up to check-in to the game. KU, A1, dribbling up the sideline, was unintentionally tripped by B6, and fell with the ball. A1 could have either been called for a travel or OOB violation, as it was hard to tell which happened first. Officials saw the incident and were aware of what happened.

Officials gave the ball to KU for a throw-in.
There is actually another thread on this play: USC/Kansas OOB trip
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does that mean that they'll win about 20% of their games, just like the Bulls?

Sorry....couldn't help myself.
Yeah, he wasn't much of a pro coach. I really didn't expect him to succeed in that kind of environment. I was at Iowa State when he was there and loved watching his teams play D. We never had much of an offense, but neither did anyone we played. Funny post though!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, he wasn't much of a pro coach. I really didn't expect him to succeed in that kind of environment. I was at Iowa State when he was there and loved watching his teams play D. We never had much of an offense, but neither did anyone we played.
In his defense, he got handed just a terrible pro team. No talent at all. God himself couldn't have won with that particular Bulls team.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I didn't see the play described, but I did watch some of this game. I was casually watching most of it and I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity and how the game was called. USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.
Who's he?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

True enough. I think he's definitely more fitted to the college game. His demanding style would wear thin with the guys making big $$$$ in a hurry. His teams do know how to play some great defense though. I've never seen a team play perimeter defense like his last ISU team. You just never got an open look against them.