The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

USC/Kansas OOB trip

Did anyone see the play in the KU/USC game in which the KU player running down the court inbounds near the table caught an outlet pass and then make contact with an OOB substitute from USC who was heading to the scorer's table to report? The KU player did NOT touch the court OOB, he only contacted the USC team member with his foot on the OOB side of the boundary plane while his foot was raised in the air. The contact caused him to trip and fall to the floor with the ball.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:47pm
PYRef

So what was the call? Did he fumble the ball or did he fall down with it?
Travel? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS, I have an OOB violation on the dribbler. "A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player, on or outside a boundary." (7-1-1)

A substitute is not a player, but is an object. I'm fairly certain that the NCAA rule is the same.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
NFHS, I have an OOB violation on the dribbler. "A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player, on or outside a boundary." (7-1-1)

A substitute is not a player, but is an object. I'm fairly certain that the NCAA rule is the same.
Same in NCAA. 7-1 and 7-2.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that the official blow the whistle to stop the clock and gave KU the ball with a throw in at the POI. I don't think that they called anything...
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
7.1.1 Sit A. A1, while holding the ball inbounds near the sideline, touches (a) player B1; (b) a photographer; (c) a coach; or (d) an official, all of whom are out of bounds. Ruling: A1 is not out of bounds in (a), (b), (c), or (d). To be out of bounds, A1 must touch the floor or some object on or outside a boundary line. People are not considered to be objects and play continues. Inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not considered a violation. (NFHS)
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I believe that the official blow the whistle to stop the clock and gave KU the ball with a throw in at the POI. I don't think that they called anything...
That is what the official on the game did. What are the opinions of those here about handling it this way?

Dexter, rainmaker has the correct NFHS case book play.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

The player went down due to the contact - but there would not have been a traveling call since the player didn't pick up the ball - he did gain control on the floor - The official blew the whistle and gave the ball back to Kansas - there was a short discussion betweet the center and trail.
The sideline is tight there but they blew a rule on this one.
In general I did not think this crew had a very good day on the floor overall.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I did not see the game (I was calling one). The contact with the player OOB caused A1 to go down. Would there not be a foul here??? IF the sub was "inbounds," could that not be considered 6 players on the court, hence a T for too many players? Where was the EXACT location of the sub, and HOW did A1 contact him? Sounds like the crew missed this one IMO.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

The sub was out of bounds about six inches
The Kansas player was driving along the sideline and his foot was out of bounds and made contact with the subsititute going to the table.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my take on the sitch -

Another interesting play in the game -
Near the 12:00 mark in the 1st half, a USC bench player (B6) was up to check-in to the game. KU, A1, dribbling up the sideline, was unintentionally tripped by B6, and fell with the ball. A1 could have either been called for a travel or OOB violation, as it was hard to tell which happened first. Officials saw the incident and were aware of what happened.

B6 was OOB and A1 was not OOB before the trip.

Officials gave the ball to KU for a throw-in.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
7.1.1 Sit A. A1, while holding the ball inbounds near the sideline, touches (a) player B1; (b) a photographer; (c) a coach; or (d) an official, all of whom are out of bounds. Ruling: A1 is not out of bounds in (a), (b), (c), or (d). To be out of bounds, A1 must touch the floor or some object on or outside a boundary line. People are not considered to be objects and play continues. Inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not considered a violation. (NFHS)
Thanks for saving my butt there, Juulie - to me, the rule was so crystal-clear that I figured there was no reason to check the casebook.

That said, as a former physics teacher I'm a bit disturbed that "people are not considered to be objects." Anyone care to start the metaphysics discussion?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Thanks for saving my butt there, Juulie - to me, the rule was so crystal-clear that I figured there was no reason to check the casebook.

That said, as a former physics teacher I'm a bit disturbed that "people are not considered to be objects." Anyone care to start the metaphysics discussion?
Mark,
This was an unannounced change in the Case Book a couple of seasons ago. That is why you may have missed it. I recall that it was JR who pointed it out to me.