The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   USC player pushed Kansas player into shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29924-usc-player-pushed-kansas-player-into-shooter.html)

All_Heart Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:26am

USC player pushed Kansas player into shooter

This was a play in the first couple of minutes of the second half in the KU / USC game.

A1 drives to the basket with an open layup. B1 pushes A2 into A1 and I think A1 made the basket. B1 is called for the foul and if I remember correctly A1 shot 1 free throw.

Is this right in High School or College?

The basket counts regardless because A1 had started the habitual try for goal. I would then think that Team A would get a throw-in on the endline or A2 would shoot bonus free throws if they are in the bonus. To recap B1 never touched A1.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by All_Heart
This was a play in the first couple of minutes of the second half in the KU / USC game.

A1 drives to the basket with an open layup. B1 pushes A2 into A1 and I think A1 made the basket. B1 is called for the foul and if I remember correctly A1 shot 1 free throw.

The basket counts regardless because A1 had started the habitual try for goal. I would then think that Team A would get a throw-in on the endline or A2 would shoot bonus free throws if they are in the bonus. To recap B1 never touched A1.

As described, I agree with you.

Junker Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:55am

I didn't see the play described, but I did watch some of this game. I was casually watching most of it and I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity and how the game was called. USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.

eg-italy Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:03am

Quote:

After reading the NCAA rulebook I agree with you. I would also think whether to rule intentional the foul by B1.

The same would be in FIBA (but the foul could be unsportsmanlike, not intentional which does not exist) :) Don't know in NF

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:09am

Quote:

You are correct for both HS and college. Count the basket and give A2 1-and-1 or a throw-in closest to the spot of the foul.

In the NBA, A2 would shoot 1 free throw with players lined up to rebound.

sj Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:20am

Did they give the ball to A? Or shoot a one and one if the bonus was in effect?

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.

Does that mean that they'll win about 20% of their games, just like the Bulls?

Sorry....couldn't help myself. :D

All_Heart Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj
Did they give the ball to A? Or shoot a one and one if the bonus was in effect?

I think they had A1 shoot 1 free throw.

All_Heart Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:43am

Is there a case play for this specific play?

What rules would I cite for this play?

SamIAm Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:49am

Another interesting play in the game -
Near the 12:00 mark in the 1st half, a USC bench player (B6) was up to check-in to the game. KU, A1, dribbling up the sideline, was unintentionally tripped by B6, and fell with the ball. A1 could have either been called for a travel or OOB violation, as it was hard to tell which happened first. Officials saw the incident and were aware of what happened.

Officials gave the ball to KU for a throw-in.

All_Heart Tue Dec 05, 2006 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Another interesting play in the game -
Near the 12:00 mark in the 1st half, a USC bench player (B6) was up to check-in to the game. KU, A1, dribbling up the sideline, was unintentionally tripped by B6, and fell with the ball. A1 could have either been called for a travel or OOB violation, as it was hard to tell which happened first. Officials saw the incident and were aware of what happened.

Officials gave the ball to KU for a throw-in.

There is actually another thread on this play: http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=29916

Junker Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does that mean that they'll win about 20% of their games, just like the Bulls?

Sorry....couldn't help myself. :D

Yeah, he wasn't much of a pro coach. I really didn't expect him to succeed in that kind of environment. I was at Iowa State when he was there and loved watching his teams play D. We never had much of an offense, but neither did anyone we played. Funny post though! :D

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12am

Quote:

Yeah, he wasn't much of a pro coach. I really didn't expect him to succeed in that kind of environment. I was at Iowa State when he was there and loved watching his teams play D. We never had much of an offense, but neither did anyone we played.

In his defense, he got handed just a terrible pro team. No talent at all. God himself couldn't have won with that particular Bulls team.

Adam Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:13pm

Quote:

I didn't see the play described, but I did watch some of this game. I was casually watching most of it and I was extremely impressed with the defensive intensity and how the game was called. USC is definitiely becoming a Tim Floyd team.

Who's he? :D

Junker Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15pm

True enough. I think he's definitely more fitted to the college game. His demanding style would wear thin with the guys making big $$$$ in a hurry. His teams do know how to play some great defense though. I've never seen a team play perimeter defense like his last ISU team. You just never got an open look against them.