The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Would you call a T?

Realize it's probably an HTBT, but just looking for some other people's opinions.

Preface: this was an intramural game (I know . . . ) and there was no coach which is why I was talking directly to the involved players.

A blue substitute tries to check into the game, but I notice that he is wearing two HUGE beaded bracelets (1"+ wide) - one on each wrist. I inform him that he cannot come into the game wearing them because they are jewelery (going, of course, through the whole "I'm not telling you to take them off, but you can't wear it on the court" spiel.") I get the ball back in play, thinking the discussion is done.

Few trips down the floor later, I'm getting set to administer FT's at lead when I see that my partner, a rookie, is trying to explain the ruling to the substitute. I called timeout and went over to try to explain it myself.

During the discussion, the sub asked "What rule is that?" As I proceeded to explain that it was in the high school rulebook and was a safety rule, he went on further to say "Is that just your rule?"

Took me a few seconds to realize what he said, but once my brain processed it, I T'ed him up. To me, he was being sarcastic and questioning my judgement (when the team asked for an explaination, I cited "criticizing an official's decision"). Again - I realize it's hard to explain this online, but any thoughts?
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Having never officiated intramural ball, but having played it, I think each player should just start the game with a "T", and then everyone would be covered. Cause you can't have a good intramural game without some "T"-able offenses.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Having never officiated intramural ball, but having played it, I think each player should just start the game with a "T", and then everyone would be covered. Cause you can't have a good intramural game without some "T"-able offenses.
I had that covered - the game actually started with a team technical for 10-1-5a. Should have just forfeited the damn game.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Took me a few seconds to realize what he said, but once my brain processed it, I T'ed him up. To me, he was being sarcastic and questioning my judgement (when the team asked for an explaination, I cited "criticizing an official's decision"). Again - I realize it's hard to explain this online, but any thoughts?
Sarcastic? I think he was being Sardonic.

Maybe Rainmaker can enlighten us.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, by all means, I'd call this T. It fits in the "questioning the officials' integrity" bucket.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yes, by all means, I'd call this T. It fits in the "questioning the officials' integrity" bucket.
This friend speaks my mind.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
Sarcastic? I think he was being Sardonic.

Maybe Rainmaker can enlighten us.
I wasn't there. How could I possibly know?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I wasn't there. How could I possibly know?
ROTFLOL
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
ROTFLOL
Glad to give a smile!