The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Why stuff shouldn't carry over...

Last year, toward the end of the season, I had a game that was no fun at all. One school had 4 Ts with one player ejuected as a result. They had a decent lead but the momentum shifted late as the 3rd T resulted in the other school getting the score even to send it to OT. OT is not good in normal circumstances, but in this case it was much worse. Another T in OT sunk their chances of winning.

Yesterday, I knew I had the same school as the visiting club and I was anticipating another less than enjoyable experience. But the coach was new. And even though some of the players were returnees, this club was enjoyable to be around and it was one of the best officiating experiences I have had to date.

So, what I learned was this: Even though you think there is bound to be carry over feelings from a difficult game, it doesn't always turn out that way.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Yesterday, I knew I had the same school as the visiting club and I was anticipating another less than enjoyable experience. But the coach was new. And even though some of the players were returnees, this club was enjoyable to be around and it was one of the best officiating experiences I have had to date.
The key to this sounds like a new coach was the reason for the change. Anytime you have a new coach that can bring a new attitude to any team.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

As a game official, it's always good to not carry over hard feelings from one game to the next, one tournament to the next, or one season to the next; especially when it involves the same team. Players respond to their coach, take her/his lead, and with a new coach will come a new attitude.

It's good that you learned something from the great game you had. It's one thing to be prepared how to handle a howler monkey, or how to handle an aggressive team, but you don't want to go into a game expecting issues where a coach may be T'd or ejected.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
with one player ejuected as a result.
I bet that hurt. I've heard there's an ointment for that.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OT is not good in normal circumstances
Why not?

I know we, as officials, kid about it a lot...but, I gotta tell ya...I love a good close game. If it comes down to an OT or two...all the better. IMO
Richland, WA
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:38am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I bet that hurt. I've heard there's an ointment for that.
It did. The kid's 2nd T was for slamming his hand against the cement wall after a call did not go his way.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

You are correct that your attitude should not carry over. I do think, however, we as officials need to be aware of potential problems. For example, every conference has their rival games that are particularly heated and a coach or two that year after year is a problem. We don't need to go in looking for confrontation, but I know my high school crew talks about these issues in pregame.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

as officials, we need to be the calmest people in the gym during the game. while it is certainly smart to be aware of previous incidents/events, you don't want to let that cloud your judgement. increase your awareness yes; don't become hypersensitive and react to situations that don't exist in your game.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree there can not be carry over into another game, I also agree that you should have as much information as possible going into a game about a team and their coaches.
This knowledge may put a coach on short leash or have you looking a little more closely at two players that had an altercation the last time these two teams played - but that knowledge is there to help you handle the game not to set you on Hunt to whack players and coaches, it is there to try to help you not to have to do that.