The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Players Union Files 2 Suits Against NBA

NEW YORK (AP) -- The players' association filed two unfair labor practice charges Friday against the NBA over issues with the new ball and the league's crackdown on player complaints.

The charges were filed with the National Labor Relations Board.

"I think that's right within the NBA's wheelhouse," Dallas owner Mark Cuban said. "They say the NBA stands for `Nothing But Attorneys,' so we're going to be great at dealing with those issues."

A number of players publicly have complained about changing the ball from leather to a microfiber composite. Although players are adjusting to the new ball, they're having a much harder time with the crackdown on reactions after the whistle, often referred to as a "zero-tolerance policy."

More
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

The players of the National cryBaby Association need to get a clue.

Kudos to the NBA for clamping down on the stupidity.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 11:23am
Huck Finn

I don't understand your point of view on this one. Actually, I don't understand how that point of view can come from a forum that mostly criticizes the NBA.

The ball doesn't matter to me. If the players who make the game go don't like the ball so be it.

However, as long as I'm officiating I don't know if I can criticize this "zero tolerance" policy until I practice it. For one thing, you have to watch the game in order to understand what has happened this season and many people on this forum "don't really watch the NBA." As high school and college officials, we don't hand out technical fouls like they were doing at the beginning of the NBA season so we really shouldn't criticize it. Emotion is part of the game and people react when things happen that don't go their way. Reactions have their limits, but just like cheering or being happy negative reactions are part of sports. There is a happy medium between what the NBA players were doing and what they are getting technicals for now.

It is about Stern being in control and money. David Stern would be about anything that would make the league more money. If Rappers were the biggest supports/sponsors of the league, you bet your A$$ there would be rap music blaring and no dress code for the players.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 12:22pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Emotion is part of the game and people react when things happen that don't go their way.
Reactions are different from demonstrations. Somehow, referees are expected to have emotions and keep them under control. Why can't players be expected to do the same?
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I don't understand your point of view on this one. Actually, I don't understand how that point of view can come from a forum that mostly criticizes the NBA.
Then maybe you should read some of my posts. Because my point of view doesn't come from the forum, IT COMES FROM ME!

I've watched the NBA for years. When Jordan was in the league I never missed a game. Bought a satellite system so that I could watch Sportschannel Chicago in the 80's. And although I don't watch 5 or 6 game a week like I once did, I do see at least a game a week and watch several games a week during the playoffs.

You've never seen me criticize NBA officials or the league. Rarely if ever do I criticize the players, unless their behavior is discussed in the forum, such as the Detroit-Indiana situation. I have criticized MR. CUBAN and will probably do so again. But don't throw me under the bus everyone else on the forum because the majority don't like the league.

Now, to the point of the question. The behavior of players has gotten out of hand. Who's fault is that? The NBA and David Stern's. They are now reigning that behavior back in. GOOD FOR THEM!!! Rasheed Wallace graduated from UNC. I've been a UNC fan since I was and I can tell you that Wallace is out of control and gets what deserves.

I don't believe there's a "zero" tolerance policy. That's mediaspeak. I've seen player's disagree with calls this season. But there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. It's always easier to tighten the screws and ease them later. And it will ease.

Now, I hope you have a better understanding of my point of view, even if you don't agree with it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 01:27pm.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
It is about Stern being in control and money. David Stern would be about anything that would make the league more money.
And your point? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what profit-making organizations try to do in a capitalistic society?

The NBA is a professional entertainment organization consisting of a partnership of individual teams (companies). The players are their employees. Those employees have value to their employers only if those employers make a profit due to the performance of those players. When fans pay to see those players, revenue comes in through ticket sales, etc. Broadcasting networks can only sell commercials if fans watch the games. Sponsors will pay only if there is an audience to see and hear their message. As a potential fan - I have the right to choose whether or not to watch based on any criteria I see fit - including the off-court behavior of the players. It's to that point that my local team - the Trailblazers - are now commonly called the Jailblazers and their support is in the toilet compared to what it used to be.

We need to get out of the mindset that professional sports is anything but a business.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:55am
Huck Finn

Tony, you are right and I apologize; you are obviously a basketball fan regardless of college or pro.
I could agree with your point about Wallace if people like Malone or even Jordan were treated like everyone else.

1. If Malone was treated like Rodman, he would have been thrown out of several games if not as many as Rodman.
2. Jordan was one of the dirtiest defenders in the league - John Stockton was another one - who made the all-defensive team all the time. He pushed held and grabbed all the time. His last shot as a Bull followed an offensive foul that wasn't called.

It might not be a zero-tolerance, but I have seen some things that are garbage. Nocione (spelling? Bulls forward) got a T for raising his arms after a shot he felt he was fouled on. He didn't say anything. I understand going overboard and I understand allowing positive reaction (clapping), but not negative reaction (raising arms). I think it is a little much.

Mark, I know it is a business. Stern does what he thinks he has to do to keep from offending the people to bring in the dollars. It will always be a struggle for him because the best players are not always raised in that type of environment.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:36pm
Huck Finn

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

If I was someone in the player's union, bells would be going off. This is how a arrogant manager (I didn't say leader) says they screwed up. He could have just said he messed up, but he didn't.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Tom, let's get this straight.

NBA officials (for whatever reason) are taking a hard azz attitude towards players showing them up.

The players association threatens to sue in court.

And you say they have a case?

Last edited by Dan_ref; Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 10:02pm.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:10pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Tom, let's get this straight.

NBA officials (for whatever reason) are taking a hard azz attitude towards players showing them up.

The players association threatens to sue in court.

And you say they have a case?
The only thing I think about the NBA officials' actions is other officials shouldn't make some comments unless they are doing the same thing in high school and college. I think it is somewhat hypocritical to say it is about time the NBA officials get the players in check when you (not you specifically) aren't doing the same at your level.

Stern has obviously backed down somewhat from the ball issue.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing I think about the NBA officials' actions is other officials shouldn't make some comments unless they are doing the same thing in high school and college. I think it is somewhat hypocritical to say it is about time the NBA officials get the players in check when you (not you specifically) aren't doing the same at your level.

Stern has obviously backed down somewhat from the ball issue.
OK. I agree with your first comment. Walk the walk and all that.

I don't really care about the NBA ball.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I don't really care about the NBA ball.
Yawn......me neither.

Call me when they can beat Peurto Rico.

Oh, did you mean the NBA or it's "basketball?

I could care less about either. Yawn.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 10:44pm.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yawn......me neither.

Call me when they can beat Peurto Rico.

Oh, did you mean the NBA or it's "basketball?

I could care less about either. Yawn.
I'll be happy if they can just beat Puerto Rico
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:52pm
Huck Finn

Yes, we (USA) do have a problem with basketball, but I would like to think all levels are now trying to make the game more of what it was meant to be.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

The point is this -- these players have never had a 9-5 job and do not appreciate the position they are in. They are a bunch of whiny arrogant unappreciative primadonnas. They have been given everything on a platter since they were young. They do not really understand the importance of a dollar. its a system that is flawed but the players cannot complain if the boss wants to change the environment.