The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question A question on closely guarded....

My question is in regards to the closely guarded count in NFHS and NCAA. Although the rule book does not distinguish a difference in the difference section of the rules, the wording of the rule leads one to believe there is a difference in the rules. In the NFHS rule book it states "A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her team's frontcourt is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball..." While the NCAA rule book states for men..."A player in control in the frontcourt only while holding or dribbling the ball is closely guarded when his opponent is in a guarding stance not exceeding 6 feet". In the difference section of the rulebook it states no difference between NFHS and Men’s NCAA. The wording leads one to believe that a closely guarded count could occur by multiple defenders in NFHS and only one defender in the NCAA. Could someone clarify if there is a difference or am I reading too much in to the wording of the rules.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmattbballref
My question is in regards to the closely guarded count in NFHS and NCAA. Although the rule book does not distinguish a difference in the difference section of the rules, the wording of the rule leads one to believe there is a difference in the rules. In the NFHS rule book it states "A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her team's frontcourt is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball..." While the NCAA rule book states for men..."A player in control in the frontcourt only while holding or dribbling the ball is closely guarded when his opponent is in a guarding stance not exceeding 6 feet". In the difference section of the rulebook it states no difference between NFHS and Men’s NCAA. The wording leads one to believe that a closely guarded count could occur by multiple defenders in NFHS and only one defender in the NCAA. Could someone clarify if there is a difference or am I reading too much in to the wording of the rules.
I'm not quite sure of your logic, but I think you're correct.

In FED, if A1 is guarded by B1, then B2 joins and B1 leaves, the count continues.

In NCAA, if A1 is guarded by B1, then B2 joins and B1 leaves, the count starts over.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

In FED, if A1 is guarded by B1, then B2 joins and B1 leaves, the count continues.

In NCAA, if A1 is guarded by B1, then B2 joins and B1 leaves, the count starts over.
Thanks Mr. Jenkins,

I have had two interpeters; one hs and one IAABO overseas Korea both tell me that I was reading too much into the question...and by virtue of the fact there was no distincition in the rules difference that it had to be the same in NFHS and Men's NCAA...Thanks for your input.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

You're right and Bob's right. There is a rules difference here between the NFHS and the NCAA. The NFHS made this very clear back in 2004-05.

If you need something to show those two interpreters show them this:

NFHS: 2004-05 Major Editorial Changes
"Clarified that a closely guarded situation occurs when the player holding or dribbling the ball is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within six feet."
2004-05 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1C. "Multiple defenders. The count should continue even if there is a defensive switch, provided the six-foot distance is maintained. There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as the offensive player is closely guarded throughout."

NCAA:

4-11-3.
After the start of a five-second closely guarded count, in order for a closely guarded violation to occur, there shall be continuous guarding by the same opponent.