The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Does a closely guarded count end if a defender is screened but another switches immedietely from screeners man to man with ball. Or a man is dribbling then double teamed and first defender drops off and double team man stays with him. Book states closely guarded by an opponent.Does it have to be the same opponent?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Does not have to be the same player, if the guarding situation happens as you stated, keep counting from your original count.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I think that this is a great question because I was just thinking about it the other day. Where does it state in the rule book that the count should continue? How should the rule be applied when the rule book says "opponent"?
Great Question!!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Buck Wu on 01-26-2000 10:24 PM
I think that this is a great question because I was just thinking about it the other day. Where does it state in the rule book that the count should continue? How should the rule be applied when the rule book says "opponent"?
Great Question!!

Buck,

Check out rule 4-10. Just has to be an opponent. Doesn't matter if it is opponent B1, B2, B6 or B8. Also, in the case book, read play 9.10.1B on page 62.

KDM
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Let's distinguish between Federation and NCAA. I beleive that in Federation the closeley guarded count continues when a different player picks up the ball handler. In NCAA, that is not the case. I do not have my rules books with me at work to give citations, so someone can help me with this and either confirm or discredit my interpretation.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

The Rules book is a bit vague on this point, and reads about the same as the Federation book, talking about "his/her opponent" being in a "guarding stance not exceeding six feet." That suggests a similar ruling for both men and women NCAA play--i.e., that the defensive players might switch but still have a continued count. In the NCAA manual, section 13 in the Interpretations section has a play listed under "Closely Guarded" where 4 teamates line up side-by-side and pass the ball to each other over the sideline. The ruling is that it is a closely guarded violation after 5 seconds if in the front court, while the 10-second rule applies (for men) if in the backcourt. So, sounds like the closely-guarded rule is applied the same for HS and college, and DOES continue even if defensive players switch.