The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
It's just the opposite around here. If my assignor showed up to my game and I hadn't taken care of sweatbands/undershirts that were illegal, I'd get chewed out for sure. The kids and coaches reactions are irrelevant.
What Smitty said........of course we have the same assignor

I had both in a girls game tonight - one of the home players (white uniforms) had a pink sweat band & two of the visiting players (blue) had white T-shirts. We took care of it right away in warmups.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
wow -- unfortunately this is the lack of discipline I have noticed in the past 5-8 years. If I was that coach those kids would have been told to go home if I had told them to remove and they didnt. there are times and places for kids and coaches to debate and this is not one of them.
WOW -- interesting that you take such a strong stance on the discipline of the players listening to their coaches, but continue to advocate not enforcing the coaching box. Shouldn't the coaches be setting the example for the kids in the discipline arena and remain in the proper coaching area?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
What Smitty said........of course we have the same assignor

I had both in a girls game tonight - one of the home players (white uniforms) had a pink sweat band & two of the visiting players (blue) had white T-shirts. We took care of it right away in warmups.
I would have been in trouble with those pinks bands. I'm color blind and I probably wouldn't even have noticed.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I notice this stuff a lot more early in the season. Last night in our boy's varsity game I had about 5 kids with frayed edges on their undershirts. We didn't see them until we had started the game because they were wearing their warm ups. Since it was so many, I just explained it to an assistant coach and asked him to have them removed at halftime. They were all gone after the half and I thanked the assistant.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

My partner(s) and I have dealt with illegal headbands on numerous occasions. Most of the time, there is a shrug followed by cooperation. But we did have a game where the reaction was considerably more.

In that game, during warmups, we noticed that BOTH teams were wearing illegal headbands. The visiting team (wearing maroon jerseys) players were wearing black headbands and the home team (wearing white jerseys) players were wearing one of their school colors (not white). Both teams were uniform and looked good ... but they were not complying with the rule. We told the captains and had them take care of it.

The assistant coach of the home team, followed shortly by the head coach, came across the floor to talk to us about why their team had to remove their headbands. We cited the rule. They cited the fact that no other officials had asked them to remove their headbands. We cited the rule and said that we were asked to come to this game and enforce the rules. A few minutes later, while I'm at the scorer's table checking the books, the home team athletic director comes up to me and wants to talk about headbands. He thinks the school colors look good and he thinks it's crazy that they cannot be worn. I tell him that I personally agree with him, but that's not what the rule permits. He questions whether that is the rule and says that if that were the rule, why weren't the schools notified of the rule. I tell him that the rule is in the rule book, including the front section where rules changes are highlighted, the rule was covered at the state rules meeting (at which coaches are required to attend), the rule is on the NFHS web site, and in pre-season publications. He walks off saying that he'll look into it.

The response from home team coaches/administrators certainly was not very gracious. (The visiting team made not one peep about it.) Later in the game when a home team substitute tried to check into the game at the second horn at the conclusion of a timeout, my partner -- who was by the scorer's table -- told the substitute that she could not enter the game at that time because she needed to have checked in prior to the first horn. The home team coach told him (my partner): "Man, you guys are going to nit-pick everything tonight."

(Sigh)
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

This thread is a great example of why they should allow all that stuff or not allow any sweatbands. I posted a thread earlier about how the majority of our rules meeting this year dealt with uniforms. Aren't there more important issues that could be discussed when we have coaches and officials in a room together for the only time all season?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:07am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
Has anyone had to ask a player to remove a sweat band that is the wrong color? What reaction did you get from the player and/or coach?

Just curious...
I have. Every time they've say ok, and walked over to their bench and took it off. A couple of times, girls have had their hair ties on their arm during warm-ups. I just grab them and remind them they have to be in their hair or not on their arm. They just say thank you and continue warming up.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
We cited the rule. They cited the fact that no other officials had asked them to remove their headbands.
That's the oldest one in the book. They all say that.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's the oldest one in the book. They all say that.
Gee, and I thought they were only telling me that!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle
The coach smiled at me and said "I told them not to wear it."
This drives me crazy...I saw a situation last year where a fellow official told a coach about some illegal equipment. The coach said, "can you tell him to take it off, he won't listen to me" I couldn't believe it...If I am the coach and the player won't listen to me, he won't get off the bench .....
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
This thread is a great example of why they should allow all that stuff or not allow any sweatbands. I posted a thread earlier about how the majority of our rules meeting this year dealt with uniforms. Aren't there more important issues that could be discussed when we have coaches and officials in a room together for the only time all season?
What other issues do you feel are being ignored while these are being discussed?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sportsmanship, rough play, any number of things. I just see the emphasis on uniforms this year to be something minor, but then I'm not in a position to make those decisions. Our presenters spent much of our meeting with uniforms and then we talked about bigger issues, to me, like intentional fouls for a small portion of the night.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
It's just the opposite around here. If my assignor showed up to my game and I hadn't taken care of sweatbands/undershirts that were illegal, I'd get chewed out for sure. The kids and coaches reactions are irrelevant.
Thats the same here. They made a huge deal about the sweatbands at the preseason state rules meetings. You better believe we'll enforce them.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

wow nevada way to be an a$$ -- one has nothing to do with the other. I spend 99% of my time focusing on the game and managing that. wether a coach has 6 feet to move around or 20 it is my job to manage him. Placing a restriction like that just doesnt fall under my list of top priorities and in life we only have so much time to accomplish so many things that we have to prioritize. JMO -- but 6 feet is just a random number that some guy or gal came up with -- the real issue is can you manage the coach in that space and if you can then I guarantee you can manage him in a 10 foot box.

The games I have worked the coaches have never abused the bench or the box and it has neve been an issue. If a coach is standing 1 foot out of the box or even 2 or 3 and hes just coaching and not being a jackass I DO NOT CARE. I have more pressing issues in a game than to even have to metion to a coach about the coaches box -- COACHES believe it or not know about how they should be and where they should be on the bench (for the most part -- the lower levels need a bit of work) but by the time you are at the varsity level a coach knows where he should be, knows when he is pushing the envelope, and knows when he deserves a T. Those that dont dont last long (unfortunatley a very small percentage does).

In all my camps and evaluations I have never had to be addressed on management why because I CAN MANAGE -- what I can manage is only to the extent to that which I have been exposed to. god i hate these soapbox replies but I guess I am just not as anal as many others.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame Meeting with Coach

Coach, Regarding the coach's box: If you're not talking to me, I'm not looking at you.

They get the message but I'm not worrying about it either.