The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Proper Signals

Watched a boys V game last night in theory to support the local school but in reality to review 3-man to see if I still remembered proper 3-man mechanics. I' new to this part of the state and only have 2-man 7/8 and JV this year. Some ADs have already told me I'll be on ther V schedule next year so i want to kepp the mechanics in my mind. Fairly skilled teams. Decent officiating crew. 3 Younger guys. Good calls and positioning. I was surprised however, at how quickly they rushed to report the fouls and the number of "improvised" signals they used when reporting to the table. I was always told to take my time, be clear, and to always use nothing but the official signals. Is this use of speed and "improvised" signals a growing trend everyhere or was it just this crew. I only know a handful of officials in the area and I am curious.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

1- It isn't emphasized

or

2- Nobody has worked with these guys.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

I think improvised signals is a growing trend in college hoops, perhaps even HS ball. At least around here, we are reminded to use "approved" signals in HS ball, but the college guys have started to stray away.

Sometimes it helps calm a coach it an improvised signal. I see it a lot with hits to the head. Coach may have been watching the body or the hands, and when he hears a whistle but didn't see contact to either the body or the hands he wants to know why the whistle was blown. If you report the foul with a "hit to the head" and actually give a signal similar to such, the coach my shut up. I've used it and have seen it done and it works well, IMO.

Just go by what your assignor likes or I should say allows and go from there. Sometimes approved signals are all you need, and then again, sometimes you need to deviate.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

B'ball,
You may have a point with #2 because the first thing I noticed from one guy was the bright white swish that seemed to be glowing from his Nikes. I'm not being critiical -- after all at least for this season -- because it's all lower level ball so I'm wearing belted pants -- but the white does detract from the professional image. When I mentioned this to my wife she said, "You've gotta be kidding...who notices a referee's shoes? She doesn't get it, does she!!!!!:
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Watched a boys V game last night in theory to support the local school but in reality to review 3-man to see if I still remembered proper 3-man mechanics. I' new to this part of the state and only have 2-man 7/8 and JV this year. Some ADs have already told me I'll be on ther V schedule next year so i want to kepp the mechanics in my mind. Fairly skilled teams. Decent officiating crew. 3 Younger guys. Good calls and positioning. I was surprised however, at how quickly they rushed to report the fouls and the number of "improvised" signals they used when reporting to the table. I was always told to take my time, be clear, and to always use nothing but the official signals. Is this use of speed and "improvised" signals a growing trend everyhere or was it just this crew. I only know a handful of officials in the area and I am curious.
This is certainly not a trend in our area. We teach our officials to use proper NFHS mechanics in their high school games. Those of us who do some college ball as well try to leave the college mechanics behind when we do high school games.

You will never go wrong in doing it properly. Ref the game that is being in the gym you are at THAT NIGHT.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

There are a couple of realities at play here. First of all not everyone values all the NF mechanics whether you or I like them or not. Secondly if those officials are working and no one really cares, then it is going to be hard for them to care. Also veterans can things that a newer official can do. These are just the facts of the game. I rarely ever hear a coach complain that an official did not use the proper signal mechanics to a tee. The only people that care are assignors and other officials. Now if the assignors and other officials keep giving those officials that do not use the proper mechanics games and many opportunities that will never change. There is a lot more to officiating then our signals. I would be nice if people used all the signals to the letter, but they do not. The bottom line is officiating is more about getting calls right and being in position to make those calls. Everything else is window dressing if all other things are considered equal.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 08:39pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
NFHS 2006-07 Points of Emphasis -
5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals. The committee has seen a movement away from the consistent application of rule enforcement and use of approved mechanics/signals.
B. Proper Signal Use. Signals are a means of communication by officials to scorers, players, coaches, spectators and media. Deviation from approved NFHS signals is unacceptable.

That being said, ditto to the previous comments.
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 10:17pm
M.A.S.H.

I've noticed around here that in all the holiday tournament notices that are sent out there always seems to be a reminder to use NFHS mechanics. So, I suppose one could argue it's becoming a concern around here.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B'ball,
You may have a point with #2 because the first thing I noticed from one guy was the bright white swish that seemed to be glowing from his Nikes. I'm not being critiical -- after all at least for this season -- because it's all lower level ball so I'm wearing belted pants -- but the white does detract from the professional image. When I mentioned this to my wife she said, "You've gotta be kidding...who notices a referee's shoes? She doesn't get it, does she!!!!!:
I watch quite a bit of basketball and am always checking out the shoes that the officials are wearing...some may say that I've got a shoe fettish! I've seen that the number of shoes that have noticeable white and silver color is increasing. It doesn't matter if it's high school, D III, D II, or D I on TV....I notice that more and more are wearing shoes that ARE NOT all black....does it take away from their ability to call the game, No Way.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I watch quite a bit of basketball and am always checking out the shoes that the officials are wearing...some may say that I've got a shoe fettish! I've seen that the number of shoes that have noticeable white and silver color is increasing. It doesn't matter if it's high school, D III, D II, or D I on TV....I notice that more and more are wearing shoes that ARE NOT all black....does it take away from their ability to call the game, No Way.
Now I am out of town and I do not have my Official's Manual with me, but where does it say that you have to have all Black shoes on as an official?

I can say with confidence that the NCAA has no such requirement. I just thought the NF said the shoes had to be black not "all black."

Also what is worn is up to individual state organizations to decide what mechanics or uniforms are worn. The grey shirts are no where in the NF Official's Manual as part of the uniform but many states allow them during their games. States do not have to follow mechanics and uniform the same way they have to adhere to rules. I know in my state I asked directly and it was not ever made a big deal by the people in the state office. It is also one thing to have a little white strip on a show and have half the shoe be white.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Now I am out of town and I do not have my Official's Manual with me, but where does it say that you have to have all Black shoes on as an official?
UNIFORM- #23(d) on Page10 of the NFHS OFFICIALS MANUAL states---"SHOES- entirely black with black laces".

Having said that, it is up to individual states, associations, etc.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
UNIFORM- #23(d) on Page10 of the NFHS OFFICIALS MANUAL states---"SHOES- entirely black with black laces".

Having said that, it is up to individual states, associations, etc.
Thanks. This is what I thought but for uniform purposes I follow much more strictly the IHSA provisions (which at one time had some different provisions in them).

Peace