The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Five second count on a drive (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29590-five-second-count-drive.html)

TimTaylor Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'm not inferring anything, the reader infers, the speaker (or writer) implies!

Okay, well I had to do that since Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy has yet to be replaced.

No, not at all. Howard is a by the book kinda guy -- except for 3 seconds. But my point is exactly that in areas where there is a strong tradition of how to interpret things, it's best to go by that tradition, just like we use Howard's 3 second rule here, rather than the legality of the book.

Gee Juulie, does that make you the annoying Grammer Gal?

Sorry.....I couldn't resist:D

Great to see you last night...it's been awhile! Now that test night (and we all hopefully passed) is over the courts are safe once again!

TimTaylor Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45pm

OOPS! Looks like BITS beat me to it - sure proof that twisted minds think alike...

rainmaker Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor
OOPS! Looks like BITS beat me to it - sure proof that twisted minds think alike...

yup

Now that the test is over, the courts are once again safe? I don't follow that thinking at all!! I can name several people who undoubtedly passed who are clearly NOT safe on the court.

I hate that thing! But it was fun to sit and chat. And I was so busy blabbing, I didn't ask how your kids are.

M&M Guy Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
How about Ms. Annoying Grammar Gal? :D

Umm, not meaning to be sexist or anything, but how are we supposed to use that squirrel picture for a Ms. Annoying Grammar Gal? :eek:

Dan_ref Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Umm, not meaning to be sexist or anything, but how are we supposed to use that squirrel picture for a Ms. Annoying Grammar Gal? :eek:

Don't you support diversity?

M&M Guy Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Don't you support diversity?

Interesting how you use the term "support" when I refer to that squirrel...

Dan_ref Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21pm

Quote:

Interesting how you use the term "support" when I refer to that squirrel...

Hey! What am I inferring by that remark??!

M&M Guy Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Hey! What am I inferring by that remark??!

Damn if I know... :D

But just imagine the fun we can have picking out a suitable Ms. Grammar Gal picture.

Dan_ref Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42pm

Quote:

But just imagine the fun we can have picking out a suitable Ms. Grammar Gal picture.

I dunno...it aint easy to find risque pictures on the internet (not that I've tried, that's only what I hear from JR).

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 22, 2006 07:01am

Quote:

http://www.comedy-zone.net/pictures/.../animal020.jpg

BktBallRef Wed Nov 22, 2006 08:51am

I'm not calling 5 seconds unless there is a defender actively guarding the player with the ball. Just because another player is standing within 6 feet, it does not mean that the 2nd defender is actually guarding or even knows what's going on.

Ref Daddy Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I'm not calling 5 seconds unless there is a defender actively guarding the player with the ball. Just because another player is standing within 6 feet, it does not mean that the 2nd defender is actually guarding or even knows what's going on.

Best thought provoking thread of the young season.

I'm with BBR. If the player is effectivly "passed off" to a focused-on-that-player defender, keep counting. Just because a post player is within 6 feet and chasing somebody else - I cannot see a penalty.

Smitty Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:00am

The 5 second count continuing from one defender to another is more prevalent in the case of a screen. When a defensive switch occurs immediately after the primary defender has been screened, and a new deffender obtains legal guarding position inside 6 feet immediately, I keep my count going.

legend Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:25am

I'd use caution with this call if the dribbler is driving to the hoop. If your on 5 and the dribbler's next step is to start a shot attempt I would think he should be allowed the oppertunity to attempt the shot. If he passes then blow it dead with the 5 sec. violation. We all know it's better to be late then early!

TimTaylor Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:45am

BBR & Ref Daddy make a good point. In order for the 5 second count to continue, the 2nd defender must establish LGP on the offensive player before it is terminated with the 1st defender - otherwise he gets a new 5 second count. As Smitty said, this happens most commonly in the event of a screen - other common situation it can occur is when there's a double team.