The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
David, the NF does not hire anyone here. The NF does not fire anyone here. I will leave the conversation with that nugget. I will let you figure out what role that plays in this conversation.

Peace
So in the end, it is not the NF who gets to decide what we do - it's the people that hire and fire us. Guess we should throw out the NFHS manuals, and get the "St. Christina Academy for Girls" or "Podunk Official's Chapter" rule books, and follow them - oops - we don't have those.

I don't have it all figured out - I just don't understand how you can have a group of people, officials or other, that have a set of rules to follow, and can choose at random and at will to not follow them, without consequence of any kind.

I'll drop off this thread now, since no one agrees with me on this matter either. Guess I don't know anything, and people who have been posting on here longer and have more experience know the best and only way to do things.

MY final statement on the matter - why have rules if we're not supposed to follow them?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Moving the pivot foot after you pick it up is legal. That's called the HokeyPokey. You can't put your HokeyPokey foot back down on the floor though. That is illegal.

And that's my contribution to this stoopid f**king thread.
That might be the funniest post I've ever read. Well said.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

David,
I think it may be helpful for you to take a different outlook on this forum. There have been a few threads where you take a hard stance on things and will not budge or try to learn from others. I don't know what levels of basketball you work, but to move up you are getting lots of good advice from people who have been there. I've only been officiating for 6 years, but the one thing that has helped me move in the right direction is that I listen to other officials. Early on I had a few threads here where I got defensive about my position and didn't really listen to some of the advice given by more experienced officials. Over time I learned that they were, more often than not, right on the money and I made changes. There's nothing wrong with having your opinion, but when this many people tell you that's not the way to do it, you might want to take their advice. Not everything that happens on the court can be covered as right or wrong by the rules book. You have to use some common sense. It is not a black and white profession which is why we now sometimes wear grey shirts.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Wikipedia lists nine Crusades. Does that mean we have seven more of these ridiculous threads to wade through?

Dave, if you want to give a technical for that, go ahead. Seems like nobody else here thinks it's a good idea. But if you know that's how it's supposed to be called, then knock yourself out. I don't think you're gonna make many converts, tho.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

What the Hell? Even, I know not to address this situation. It time to move on.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:08pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm going to defend David a little bit here...I don't have a problem with someone giving a T for what was originally said - I wouldn't, but if my partner did, I've got his/her back on it...like I said in an earlier thread, David Rinke appears to be very passionate about officiating and you can't really fault him for that. Disagree with him all you want, but he's got passion for the game...
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
So in the end, it is not the NF who gets to decide what we do - it's the people that hire and fire us. Guess we should throw out the NFHS manuals, and get the "St. Christina Academy for Girls" or "Podunk Official's Chapter" rule books, and follow them - oops - we don't have those.

I don't have it all figured out - I just don't understand how you can have a group of people, officials or other, that have a set of rules to follow, and can choose at random and at will to not follow them, without consequence of any kind.

I'll drop off this thread now, since no one agrees with me on this matter either. Guess I don't know anything, and people who have been posting on here longer and have more experience know the best and only way to do things.

MY final statement on the matter - why have rules if we're not supposed to follow them?
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Wikipedia lists nine Crusades. Does that mean we have seven more of these ridiculous threads to wade through?
Hey Scrappy, I bet if you stick around we'll have a lot more than 7 of 'em.

Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

David. No one said ignore the rule. Most of us are saying this doesn't fit the rule. It's a judgment call, though, and if my partner makes this call, I'm not raking her over the coals. I'll back my P in the game, and go to the assignor for guidance afterwards to find out how they want it called here.

My advice to coaches and players remains the same on this issue as it is on other issues. "Don't give me the chance to use my judgment, since you might not like my decision."
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'll back my P in the game, and go to the assignor for guidance afterwards to find out how they want it called here.
And his assignor will then de-nut him.

Guaranteed.

Calling a "T' for what was muttered in the original post could be a career-stopper. That one call might follow you forever.

JMO.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I wouldn't talk like the OP to my players, but I have different standards than a lot of other people. That said, I cannot see a T for this. In regards to what is expected, I had a parent tell me about their kid's V baseball team, they weren't playing well and the coach ripped into them with a lot of swear words, where parents were around to hear it. The team went on a winning streak, and my friend asked me if I knew what the parents said. When I said no, he told me "F..ing A." That is the society we live in, and sometimes I don't think there's much anybody can do to change it.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I don't have a problem with someone giving a T for what was originally said.
Rocky, do me a favor and try a little experiment with your class tomorrow. Lay out the original post and ask your kids whether they consider that swearing and what they generally think of it. I'm kinda nterested in what their views are.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

"Yeah, the coffee is hot, and I expected it to be hot, because I would have complained if you gave me lukewarm coffee, but because I spilled it on myself, I should be able to get money from you because you didn't TELL me in 5 different ways that it was hot."

Some basic facts about this legal case can be found at the link below. McDonald's was warned many, many times and failed to act. When told to reduce the heat from 180-190 degrees to 130, they didn't. The jury punished them as they saw fit. and the judge reduced the damages.

http://www.centerjd.org/free/mythbus..._mcdonalds.htm

I know it's not related to this discussion, hell (oops, I just got a T from David), it's not related to officiating at all. I just like for the facts to be reported correctly.

FWIW - I say no T for the incident in the OP
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The best coach I ever had was my track coach in high school. He never swore at us, and he was also the most competitive coach we had. He never needed to, though. The best basketball coach I had swore at us exactly once. We'd been down by two and the road at half-time to the number one team in the state and lost by 30. He dropped an F-bomb in the locker room after the game.

I'll tell you what, since he never swore, it had a big effect on us as a team (we won in OT the next time we faced them).
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think a T in this case is ridiculous. If the problem is how he addresses his players then that's the schools problem.