The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grasping rim then dunking (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29484-grasping-rim-then-dunking.html)

Raymond Wed Nov 15, 2006 02:54pm

Grasping rim then dunking

Last night (NCAA-M rules) I officiated a military intramural game in which I had to issue a technical for A1 slapping the backboard after dunking. This morning while reviewing Indirect Techincals Fouls I came across this in 10-3-13:
A.R. 201. A1 dunks and in so doing grasps the ring with a free hand: (a) before the ball leaves his or her other hand; or (b)... RULING: In (a), A1 shall be assessed with two indirect technical fouls, one for grasping the ring and the other for dunking a dead ball. In (a), no goal shall be scored. In (b)...
  • Has anyone here ever actually issued 2 indirect T's for the act described in A.R. 201?
  • Is there similar wording in the NFHS rulebook concerning the assessing of 2 technical fouls for this act?

Nevadaref Wed Nov 15, 2006 03:09pm

There is a similar ruling by the NFHS which says that only one T should be assessed. When I read this I thought, "What happened to the T for hanging on the rim?" Needless to say, I'm not fond of this ruling, but it is what it is.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. The third quarter begins with Team B being awarded two free throws and the ball at the division line. The alternating-possession arrow is not affected and remains unchanged. (5-6-4; 10-3-4)

bob jenkins Wed Nov 15, 2006 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Last night (NCAA-M rules) I officiated a military intramural game in which I had to access a technical for A1 slapping the backboard after dunking. This morning while reviewing Indirect Techincals Fouls I came across this in 10-3-13:
  • Has anyone here ever actually accessed 2 indirect T's for the above act?

I think you'd have to issue three Ts. ;)

bob jenkins Wed Nov 15, 2006 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
There is a similar ruling by the NFHS which says that only one T should be assessed.

I was trying to find this, but failed. I did, however, come across new 10.3.4E, which could shed some light on our "when does intermission begin?" issue.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 15, 2006 03:15pm

Quote:

Last night (NCAA-M rules) I officiated a military intramural game in which I had to access a technical for A1 slapping the backboard after dunking. This morning while reviewing Indirect Techincals Fouls I came across this in 10-3-13:
  • Has anyone here ever actually accessed 2 indirect T's for the above act?
  • Is there similar wording in the NFHS rulebook concerning the assessing of 2 technical fouls for this act?

There's no similar case play in NFHS <i>per se</i>. You could possibly string two separate parts of R10-3-4 together and come up with the same call. Not sure that I'd personally recommend going after that one though. It seems like overkill to me.

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 15, 2006 06:53pm

Quote:

There is a similar ruling by the NFHS which says that only one T should be assessed. When I read this I thought, "What happened to the T for hanging on the rim?" Needless to say, I'm not fond of this ruling, but it is what it is.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. The third quarter begins with Team B being awarded two free throws and the ball at the division line. The alternating-possession arrow is not affected and remains unchanged. (5-6-4; 10-3-4)

Might be semantics, Nevada, but the play described by the OP has the guy grasping the rim, and [presumably with the other hand] then dunking. The casebook play has the grasp AFTER the dunk. Wouldn't [at least in NFHS] the grasp be cause for a dead ball on the whistle and the dunk of a dead ball result in two Ts?

Nevadaref Wed Nov 15, 2006 06:58pm

I don't think that the order matters. The NFHS rule is that grasping the ring at anytime during the jurisdiction of the officials when it is not to prevent injury is a technical foul.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 15, 2006 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I was trying to find this, but failed. I did, however, come across new 10.3.4E, which could shed some light on our "when does intermission begin?" issue.

So could this:
2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 4: The horn sounds to end the third quarter. As the teams are heading to their respective benches, team members A1 and B1 verbally taunt one another. RULING: Double technical foul charged to A1 and B1. During the intermission between quarters, all team members are bench personnel. Both head coaches are indirectly charged with technical fouls and lose their coaching box privileges. Play will resume at the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession arrow throw-in to begin the fourth quarter. (4-34-2; 10-4-1c Penalty)

jritchie Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:45am

and if the ball is dunked and then the kid does a chin up and slaps the board after that...then you also have two T's, is the kid now ejected! Has anyone ever called Both of these??? i have called one for this action several times, but never both...although could have! :)

Nevadaref Sun Nov 26, 2006 06:25pm

And for anyone who didn't notice, Situation 7 from the 2005-06 Interps which I posted made it into the new case book as the play Bob cited, 10.3.4E.

Jurassic Referee Sun Nov 26, 2006 06:35pm

Quote:

And for anyone who didn't notice, Situation 7 from the 2005-06 Interps which I posted made it into the new case book as the play Bob cited, 10.3.4E.

Yeah, I kinda noticed that you cited the exact same thing that Bob did, but over 4 days <b>later</b>.

Keep up the good work You've got a great future behind you.:D

Nevadaref Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yeah, I kinda noticed that you cited the exact same thing that Bob did, but over 4 days later.

Keep up the good work You've got a great future behind you.:D

You are INCORRECT, oh great one! :D

Actually Bob and I cited the same ruling in the very same minute. Please take another look at the times of posts #2 and #4.
You confused that interp from 2005-06 which I cited therein with the one from 2006-07 that I cited in post #8. :p

IREFU2 Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:14am

Quote:

Last night (NCAA-M rules) I officiated a military intramural game in which I had to issue a technical for A1 slapping the backboard after dunking. This morning while reviewing Indirect Techincals Fouls I came across this in 10-3-13:
A.R. 201. A1 dunks and in so doing grasps the ring with a free hand: (a) before the ball leaves his or her other hand; or (b)... RULING: In (a), A1 shall be assessed with two indirect technical fouls, one for grasping the ring and the other for dunking a dead ball. In (a), no goal shall be scored. In (b)...
  • Has anyone here ever actually issued 2 indirect T's for the act described in A.R. 201?

I think I that I have seen the two t senario before in a game and I dont remember where and when. But if it is warranted, then handle your business.

bronco Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:55pm

I'm not familiar with the NCAA rulebook, and I was wondering if there is an indirect technical on a player in NCAA? Would the player who dunked the ball and got two Ts be disqualified?

Raymond Mon Nov 27, 2006 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco
I'm not familiar with the NCAA rulebook, and I was wondering if there is an indirect technical on a player in NCAA? Would the player who dunked the ball and got two Ts be disqualified?

Yes, there are indirect T's in NCAA. An example would be the one in the OP where the player smack the backboard after dunking the ball.