The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in/Backcourt violation?

4 plays. Legal or violation? And why!!!

(1) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their front court. A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. A2 jumps from their frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.

(2) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt).
A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from their frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.

(3) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt).
A1’s throw-in is intercepted by B1. B1 had jumped from their frontcourt, caught the ball in the air and lands first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.

(4) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their front court (Team B’s backcourt). A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from their backcourt court, catches the ball in the air and lands first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

All legal plays. No control on throw in. There is an exception which allows the player who secures control with both feet off the floor, to make a normal landing.

Mregor
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:45am
Never Stop Learning

All legal as per rule 9-9-3.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
No matter where the throw-ins are from, they're all legal. (Weird sentence)

All those throw-ins are legal from anywhere oob, even either endline. There is no team control, and thus no front court or back court status on a throw-in.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Not so fast, folks!

This is more complicated than people seem to think.

Let's look at the specific wording of 9-9-3:
. . . A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

There is currently a debate on whether the words in the parenthetical are the ONLY three times that such action is permitted, since they used to be the three exceptions prior to the rewording of the rule, or if they are merely three examples of a player from the team not in control and other occasions of this are also allowed by the now more inclusive wording.
BktBallRef who is basically our backcourt guru has taken the former stance, while I have supported the latter.

Therefore, if we turn to the plays Zoochy inquired about, we get the following differing rulings:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
4 plays. Legal or violation? And why!!!

(1) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their front court. A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. A2 jumps from their frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.
BktBallRef would likely say: Violation because this is not DURING the throw-in. The throw-in ended when B1 touched the ball.
Nevadaref: Legal play as the action was done by a player from the team not in control.

(2) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt).
A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from their frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.
I not sure of BktBallRef's answer for this one. He might rule the same as in #1, but he might also consider B2 to be a defensive player even though Team A does not have team control during the play and thus rule this a legal play.
Nevadaref: Legal play, same reason as #1.

(3) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt).
A1’s throw-in is intercepted by B1. B1 had jumped from their frontcourt, caught the ball in the air and lands first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.
BktBallRef: Legal play, during a throw-in (might also be a defensive player) and B1 is permitted to make a normal landing and per 9-9-3 it makes no difference which foot lands first or where.
Nevadaref: Legal play the landing is normal and the order of the feet doesn't matter.

(4) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their front court (Team B’s backcourt). A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from their backcourt court, catches the ball in the air and lands first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.

I have no idea what BktBallRef would rule. I'll hope that he shows up and responds to this post.
Nevadaref: I'm not even sure of my own answer on this one. My ruling is that this is a backcourt violation. It is probably splitting hairs, but that's my call. Why? Since B2 jumped from his BACKCOURT rule 9-9-3 does not apply to him as that rule specifies a player jumping from his FRONTCOURT. Likewise, since the player is holding the ball, not dribbling it, 4-4-6 (what we call the three points rule) doesn't apply either. Rules 4-35 and 4-4-2 appear to be controlling. When B2 catches the ball both player and team control are established. Since B2 jumped from his backcourt both he and the ball have backcourt status at this time. When the first foot touches in the frontcourt and the second foot has yet to touch the floor the player has frontcourt status per 4-35-1b and 4-35-2 and thus the ball has frontcourt status per 4-4-2. When the second foot lands in the backcourt, the player and the ball both gain backcourt status per the same rules. Thus a backcourt violation has occurred per 9-9-1.
Great post Zoochy!
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:18pm
Never Stop Learning

Thumbs up

Nevada you always get my head spinning. Good thoughts on these plays. Now if a coach could only understand it this way.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is more complicated than people seem to think.

Let's look at the specific wording of 9-9-3:
[COLOR=blue] . . . A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.
The deflection does not change the fact that A is still not in control.
As I recall, the exception in Tony's quiz referred to a player from team A jumping from frontcourt, catching the throw-in while in mid-air, then passing it to a teammate in backcourt. Big difference, is it not?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
At the time between the deflection and when the player catches the ball there is no control. That is right. However, once the player catches the ball, there is both player and team control. Also, the deflection ends the throw-in, so the player who catches the ball is not catching a throw-in pass. Does that make a difference in your thinking?

Quote:
As I recall, the exception in Tony's quiz referred to a player from team A jumping from frontcourt, catching the throw-in while in mid-air, then passing it to a teammate in backcourt. Big difference, is it not?
That play is a backcourt violation in the NFHS, but it is a legal play in the NCAA.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 05:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
At the time between the deflection and when the player catches the ball there is no control. That is right. However, once the player catches the ball, there is both player and team control. Also, the deflection ends the throw-in, so the player who catches the ball is not catching a throw-in pass. Does that make a difference in your thinking?

no

Quote:
That play is a backcourt violation in the NFHS, but it is a legal play in the NCAA.
His quiz, I believe, is based on NFHS rules. I could be wrong.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see your point.

Quote:

There is currently a debate on whether the words in the parenthetical are the ONLY three times that such action is permitted, since they used to be the three exceptions prior to the rewording of the rule, or if they are merely three examples of a player from the team not in control and other occasions of this are also allowed by the now more inclusive wording.
BktBallRef who is basically our backcourt guru has taken the former stance, while I have supported the latter.
Are you on my side of this debate or BktBallRef's?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 08:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I don't see your point.
I forget the question.

Quote:
Are you on my side of this debate or BktBallRef's?

OP #1 is not a violation. Whose side does that put me on?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OP #1 is not a violation. Whose side does that put me on?
Mine. You may want to watch where you step. The ground has been known to be shaky over here on the opposite side from where Tony is standing, especially when it comes to backcourt.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

VIOLATION. The rule allows an offensive player to leave his FC, catch the ball and land in his BC during a throw-in or jump ball. However, this isn't during a throw-in. The throw-in ended when B1 touched the ball.

(2) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt). A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from their frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.

LEGAL. The rule allows a defensive player to leave his FC, catch the ball and land in his BC.

(3) Throw-in for Team A near the division line in their backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt). A1’s throw-in is intercepted by B1. B1 had jumped from their frontcourt, caught the ball in the air and lands first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.

LEGAL. The rule allows a defensive player to leave his FC, catch the ball and land in his BC. It makes no difference which foot lands first.

VIOLATION. No rule allows this.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
B1 touches the ball ending the throw-in.

A2 leps from his FC, therefore having FC status.

When he catches the ball, he has FC status and he establishes team control.

When he lands in the BC, he has violated.

It's no different than catching said ball and throwing it to a teammate in the BC.

Folks may not like it, it may not fit what people have always said, but it is a violation. This play is not DURING a throw-in.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 10:20pm.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well great! Everyone agrees with me!