The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 10:09am
In Memoriam

This was different. We worked a Girls' make-up on Saturday.
Both games went to the Michigan 40-point mercy rule.

JV game : A shooter shot an air-ball, got her shot, and scored.

V game : One of the jumpers caught the ball.

Two rare occurances in the same day.

mick

Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
And both are covered by rules that the coaches NEVER know. How'd you explain the arrow to him/her?

chuck
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 11:00am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And both are covered by rules that the coaches NEVER know. How'd you explain the arrow to him/her?

chuck
Chuck,
Funny you should ask.

The arrow was actually set the wrong way initially. The table asked C and he got confused.

At the first dead ball, about 90 seconds later (Thank goodness, it wasn't a possession question !) I (new Trail) was administering the throw-in and noticed the arrow.

I jogged down to Ref (new Lead)and told him. He went to C and told him. C told the table, and then C told the offended Coach.

A couple minutes later as running lead on table side I told the bench, "That's an odd one, per book, Coach."

Brain cramps hurt more than bottles.
mick

Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 04:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick

All that was missing was a wedgie on a free throw and a defensive violation on an inbound following a score (new rule re: spot).

Try this one I saw about 3 years ago while just waiting for my game: opening jump of overtime - jumper A1 bats ball on jump, jumper B1 catches ball before it hits the floor while at exactly the same time of the catch, A1 throws an elbow into B1's head, B2 then runs over and punches A1, A6 then runs off the bench and punches B2 in retaliation. The refs were able to break it up at that point with no further damage.

See if you can sort out the calls and then I'll tell you what the guys doing the game called. BTW - here's a hint - the elbow was ruled not to be intentional or flagrant.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 04:33pm
In Memoriam

Easy call.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick

All that was missing was a wedgie on a free throw and a defensive violation on an inbound following a score (new rule re: spot).

Try this one I saw about 3 years ago while just waiting for my game: opening jump of overtime - jumper A1 bats ball on jump, jumper B1 catches ball before it hits the floor while at exactly the same time of the catch, A1 throws an elbow into B1's head, B2 then runs over and punches A1, A6 then runs off the bench and punches B2 in retaliation. The refs were able to break it up at that point with no further damage.

See if you can sort out the calls and then I'll tell you what the guys doing the game called. BTW - here's a hint - the elbow was ruled not to be intentional or flagrant.
"Hey, Coach! Here's my whistle. I just remembered, I'm at the wrong gym."
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Easy call.

Quote:
"Hey, Coach! Here's my whistle. I just remembered, I'm at the wrong gym." [/B]

Good call, mick!!
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

What a screwed up situation! Here's my guess!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Try this one I saw about 3 years ago while just waiting for my game: opening jump of overtime - jumper A1 bats ball on jump, jumper B1 catches ball before it hits the floor while at exactly the same time of the catch, A1 throws an elbow into B1's head...
We have to decide which occurred first. If the catch occurred first, then we have a violation by B1, A gets the ball and the arrow and the foul by A1 is ignored because the ball was dead when it occurred. Since you said that the contact was ruled to be neither flagrant or intentional, my guess is they ruled the violation came first.

But, just in case, if the foul occurs first, then we ignore the violation by B1 and we have a foul on A1. Are we in the bonus? If we are, the arrow is set to A when the ball is adminstered to B1 for his FT(s).

Quote:
B2 then runs over and punches A1, A6 then runs off the bench and punches B2 in retaliation. The refs were able to break it up at that point with no further damage.
B2 - Flagrant technical foul and disqualified.
A6 - Two flagrant technical fouls and disqualified.

B will shoot 2 FTs and will get the ball at the division line.

Oh, also, Team's A Head coach is ejected because A6 was bench personnel and A1, B1, and B2 all get ice packs for bloody noses.

Quote:
Okay, what did they do?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

A1 throws an elbow into B1's head, ...

BTW - here's a hint - the elbow was ruled not to be intentional or flagrant.
I guess the words "throws an elbow" implies an intentional act to me. Was it just incidental contact or judged to be a common foul?
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What a screwed up situation! Here's my guess!

Quote:
Quote:
B2 then runs over and punches A1, A6 then runs off the bench and punches B2 in retaliation. The refs were able to break it up at that point with no further damage.

B2 - Flagrant technical foul and disqualified.
Agree
Quote:
Disagree. A6 gets only 1 T for leaving the bench and participating in a fight.. It is flagrant and A6 is disqualified. While it is and extended act, it is still a single act.
Quote:
B will shoot 2 FTs and will get the ball at the division line.

Oh, also, Team's A Head coach is ejected because A6 was bench personnel and A1, B1, and B2 all get ice packs for bloody noses.
Since A6 should only get 1 T, there are no FTs (offsetting) and A's Coach has only one indirect T. Even if there were two T's on A6, A's coach would still have only 2 indirect T's and would not be ejected. A coach is only ejected on two direct T's or 3 total T's.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 17th, 2001 at 12:46 PM]
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 01:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post here's some help

I'd like to get a little more discussion before revealing what the actual calls were, but BktBallRef makes a great point that is worth highlighting.

He gives two scenarios as to whether the elbow occured before or after the violation. Note that in my original post, I said they happened at exactly the same time. As BktBallRef implies - it is an "unwritten rule" among referees that two things of this nature NEVER happen at exactly the same time! One ALWAYS rules that one event happened a split second before the other.

If you don't think this way, you'd better be ready to alienate both coaches, all the players, your partner and your assignor, plus make life generally miserable for yourself.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: What a screwed up situation! Here's my guess!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Disagree. A6 gets only 1 T for leaving the bench and participating in a fight.. It is flagrant and A6 is disqualified. While it is and extended act, it is still a single act.
Okay, I struggled with this part. 10-4-1h states it is a flagrant technical foul for bench personnel to be charged with fighting. 10-4-4 states that it is a flagrant technical foul to leave the bench during a foul. That's two, but the casebook seems to indicate that only one foul would be charged to an offender. [/B]
Only one of them has actually occurend. 10-4-1h supercedes 10-4-4. It may not be clear, but that is what is intended.
Quote:
Quote:

Since A6 should only get 1 T, there are no FTs (offsetting) and A's Coach has only one indirect T. Even if there were two T's on A6, A's coach would still have only 2 indirect T's and would not be ejected. A coach is only ejected on two direct T's or 3 total T's.
...the head coach is assessed two indirect technical
fouls, one because A6 left the bench and one because he was involved in the fight. See the casebook play below.
10.4.4A.
Play: Post-players A1 and B1 begin punching each other and play is stopped. Two substitutes from each team leave the bench area and come onto the court. The four substitutes: (a) do not become involved in the fight; or (b) all become involved in the fight; or (c) substitutes A6, A7, and B6 do not participate in the fight, but B7 becomes involved in the fight.

Ruling: A1 and B1 are charged with flagrant fouls and are disqualified, but no free throws result from the double personal foul. The four substitutes are charged with flagrant technical fouls and are disqualified. No free throws are awarded for the simultaneous technical fouls as the number committed and the penalties are the same for both teams. In (a), one technical foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach of each team. In (b), each head coach is charged indirectly with two technical fouls (one for each bench player leaving the bench and becoming involved in the fight). In (c), the Team A head coach is charged indirectly with one technical foul and the Team B head coach is indirectly charged with two technical fouls (one for substitutes B6 and B7 leaving the bench, and one for B7 becoming involved in the fight).
Quote:

So, in our play, we have simultaneous technical fouls by B2 and A6. We don't shoot any FTs unless A1 gets FTs for being in the bonus. If the foul occurred first, we will have to re-jump. If the violation occurred first, B will get the ball. And I'll allow A's head coach to stay but he has to
sit down.

But I still don't understand why A6 gets only 1 T but the coach is assessed 2 indirects, which is correct. A6 should be assessed 2 T's as well.
In the case you cite, there were multiple players involved. The coach gets a single indirect T for all players who leave the bench and do not fight. The coach also gets an indirect T for each and every player who leaves the bench and fights. The two categories are non-overlapping...the infraction can only be declared one or the other--not both.

So, in situation (c) in the case, there is one T for B6 and one for B7. Notice that in situation (b) that only 2 were given. By the pattern you've suggested, it should have been 3....one for all players leaving the bench and one for each involved in the fight.

One easy way to remember it...the coach never receives more indirect T's that the number of total T's called on the involved players.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 17th, 2001 at 07:01 PM]
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, let's see if I got this right!

No wonder no one else would try to figure this out!

A coach gets one indirect technical foul if one or ten bench personnel leave the bench.

If three of those ten enter the court and fight, the head coach gets a total ofthree indirect technical fouls, and he would be ejected.

Leaving the bench is one T but every person charged with fighting gets the coach an indrect. I believe I now have this correct. I wish the NF was a little clearer on this or had it summarized somewhere.

You'll have to forgive me because I don't allow fights in my games!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 09:30pm
In Memoriam

Re: Okay, let's see if I got this right!

Quote:

I left the gym hours ago.
You and Camron get Marks blessing, and I'll do whatever you guys say.

I promise.
mick not-enough-pictures-to-read chambers

Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 09:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Personal to Camron and Juulie: this happened at The Hoop in Beaverton where they have a house rule that each technical foul is two shots, possession and two points for the other team - but I left that out of the case because it would have been even more confusing.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: Okay, let's see if I got this right!

Quote:

A coach gets one indirect technical foul if one or ten bench personnel leave the bench.

If three of those ten enter the court and fight, the head coach gets a total ofthree indirect technical fouls, and he would be ejected.

Not quite -- the coach gets one indirect for each of the three that fought, plus one more for all the others who left but didn't fight.

It makes no difference in this particular case -- the coach is gone anyway, but it might make a difference if the numbers were a little different.

Jim Dixon (I think) wrote an interesting summary on these rules a few years ago. I'll try to find it and post it, but a summary is:

1) Players Come off and do NOT fight -- doesn't matter how many, just one indirect. If numbers for both teams are same, they offset. IF numbers aren't the same, shoot two throws.

2) Players come off and DO fight -- One indirect for each player who fights. IF numbers for both teams are same, they offset. If numbers aren't the same, two throws for each one that isn't offset.

3) Coaches leave bench (without being beckoned) -- Flagrant direct on coach -- whether s/he fights or not. IF both coaches leave bench, they offset. If not, shoot two throws.

Always -- people who leave the bench are ejected.

Always -- add one to the team foul total for each person who leaves the bench.