The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii

But it was getting old constantly having people sub out with no penalty at all because they couldn't follow the simple rules to remove jewelry before entering the field. Do you think basketball will ever get some kind of penalty like this? I don't see them asking a team to play short, but maybe some other kind of penalty short of a technical?
I honestly don't find that. Once a coach has one of his players either sent out or not allowed in, they usually take care of their bidness in my experience. I have never run into a "constantly" situation that I can remember.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to say - I like the fact that in soccer, for the last 2-3 years, they changed the uniform policy. If you are inappropriately attired (jewelry, untucked shirt, etc), we would not allow the player to enter the field as a sub. However, if they are discovered on the field (as often happens with girls and earrings), they are asked to leave, and NO SUB is permitted until the next sub opportunity. They play shorthanded for however long it takes for a sub to be allowed. Since subs are only allowed on their own throw-ins, or the other team's throw-ins if they have a sub themselves, this often produces a significant penalty for forgotten earrings, etc. The first time you do this, the team makes sure that they didn't "forget" anything else.
What you wrote in green is correct. However what appears in red is not accurate.

From the 2006-07 rules book:
"There shall be no replacement until the next opportunity to substitute. However, the removed player may re-enter during a dead ball after reporting to an official who shall be satisfied the player's equipment and uniform is in order."

In other words the same player may come back in on the very next stoppage (any foul, if the ball goes OOB, etc.), if the offending item is removed or the uniform is fixed. It seems that you may be overpenalizing.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
What you wrote in green is correct. However what appears in red is not accurate.

From the 2006-07 rules book:
"There shall be no replacement until the next opportunity to substitute. However, the removed player may re-enter during a dead ball after reporting to an official who shall be satisfied the player's equipment and uniform is in order."

In other words the same player may come back in on the very next stoppage (any foul, if the ball goes OOB, etc.), if the offending item is removed or the uniform is fixed. It seems that you may be overpenalizing.
Ok - point taken - but the player cannot return for some period of time, and the team plays short for some period of time, which reinforces that they need to come out on the field with their uniform correct and no illegal jewelry, etc... as opposed to the cases where I would have 4-5 girls I would send off at various times during a game for "forgotten" earrings, with no penalty, and just delaying the playing of the game. Now that there is some form of penalty, it has cleaned it up immensely, in my experience.

Except for this year - I have to say I had all but 3 games this season (probably 20+) where I had at least one player with forgotten earrings or jewelry of some kind that was sent off... and this was after the PIAA speech at the beginning to the captains and coaches, reminding them to check for forgotten jewelry, and often checking the teams beforehand as well. But in most cases, the first was the last in that game...
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I wish that the NFHS would make wearing jewelry or other illegal equipment on the field during the game an automatic caution. That would fix it for sure.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Angry

S.O.S.

Nevada and DRinke have taken over 2 separate threads with soccer. What's next, NASCAR talk????
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
S.O.S.

Nevada and DRinke have taken over 2 separate threads with soccer. What's next, NASCAR talk????
Whoops, make that 3 threads.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

What is this "soccer" you speak of? Never seen it.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
What is this "soccer" you speak of? Never seen it.
You lie - I know you have that Sports Illustrated cover of Brandi Chastain hanging in your room...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
S.O.S.

So sorry, I'll let you get back to discussing the dominant color of a sweatband or was this thread about the distinction between the words similar and same?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
You lie - I know you have that Sports Illustrated cover of Brandi Chastain hanging in your room...

Who's that? I just want to know, if she's that good looking I'll have to go get a poster. I guess it could be worse, instead of talking soccer, we could be talking about wrestling and singlets.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Who's that? I just want to know, if she's that good looking I'll have to go get a poster. I guess it could be worse, instead of talking soccer, we could be talking about wrestling and singlets.
What?! You really don't remember this from the Women's World Cup a few years ago?:

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Oh, that. I think if I'm going to spend money on a poster, I'll go looking for some women's tennis players.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So sorry, I'll let you get back to discussing the dominant color of a sweatband or was this thread about the distinction between the words similar and same?
Haha - sorry - I just compare the sports I officiate that are similar.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Haha - sorry - I just compare the sports I officiate that are similar.
Understandable. We all do it.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 12:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
What?! You really don't remember this from the Women's World Cup a few years ago?:
Last year my baby brother got married up in North Jersey. We stayed at the Meadowlands Sheraton. Ms. Chastain was in the lobby one morning waiting on her limo. She's holding up pretty well.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.