The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for a New Official

I'm fairly new to the forum and have enjoyed reading back on old threads, picking up tips and great thoughts along the way, and genuinely enjoying the "back-and-forth" on the gray areas of rules. I mean, is a tip a bat, should it count as two or three?

I'd like to ask everyone a favor. I officiated for a couple years in college, had to give it up as I started my career, but now five years later am in a job giving me enough flexibility to get back in. I'm excited and ready to go.

My favor is - what would be your one piece of advice? I am a stickler for rules and mechanics and believe strongly in looking the part and being professional, but beyond that, what should I focus on? What areas should I emphasize the most in trying to improve.

I'd love to be successful, "move up the ranks", and maybe some day consider whether this could be more than just an "avocation" and perhaps an at least part-time vocation. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

First let me say good luck and welcome back! The one piece of advice I would give if I only could choose one would be to find someone who you respect as a official and is someone you think you would most like to emulate on the court. Then see if you can create a mentor/men tee relationship with that person.

Wish you all the luck and lots of success.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 04:49pm
Official & Member

Always be open to feedback. One thing I have learned is that there is no shortage of good veteran officials willing to share their knowledge and expertise with you. They know that new blood is critical to our avocation. As you get several seasons in, you may think you know what you're doing and you're ready to move up. You may even resent the feedback, because sometime it comes unsolicited, but it is invaluable. Welcome and good luck.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:16pm
M.A.S.H.

Get back out before it's too late! Just kiddding, welcome back.

Listen to as many people as you can, it's up to you (to yourself) to decide which is the good information and which is the bad information. Best of luck.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
tape, tape, tape. THe best way to improve, and to see what needs work, is to tape yourself, and then watch your tape. Have someone else watch your tape. It's surprising what shows up, and how much more quickly you'll get better if you do this.

Beyond this, I'd say the best thing to do is keep studying the rules, and keep asking questions. You'll never be perfect, but you should never quit trying.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Practice, practice, practice.

Evaluate, evaluate, evaluate.

Watch and learn, watch and learn, watch and learn.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Find an official whose work you admire, and who is also willing to mentor you. Buy the first round. And the second.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I came back to hoops last year after a layoff which was longer than yours. From that perspective, let me chirp in on a few things:

1. Conditioning. Even though you aren't that much older, you are still older now. Your mind is probably sharper than when you left, but your body isn't. Get yourself in the best condition possible.

2. Injuries. A follow up to 1. I never had injury issues before, but now I have struggled with a couple of nagging ones. My new best friend is ice, and I use it almost always after any kind of exercise, officiating or working out. But I also pay a lot more attention to injury prevention through conditioning and stretching. I'm having to work harder and harder now, but that's part of the reason I got back into officiating: for the physical benefits.

3. Some skills may have to be relearned and might come back slower than you expect. I think I had developed into a very good basketball official in my mid 20s. As stated above, my mind is sharper now, but there are things I did before my layoff that I'm trying to get used to. One is ampidextrious signalling. I use to have easy use of my left arm to stop the clock and have an out of bounds so I wouldn't have to go across my body or turn around. Now, I haven't got that back yet, though its getting better. Just be aware of these things and plan on working on them.

4. Rules changes may disrupt how you've called. I've always been VERY focused on the action on the court, but since coming back, I have to deal with coaches calling timeouts. Since a visible signal is sufficient by rule, I have to learn to keep an eye on that in certain situations.

Much of everything else is the same, frankly. Hopefully, you've improved in your communication skills and you might find some things easier to deal with.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 10:47am
Jerry Blum

The other advice has been great and I agree with what they have said so I will add a new one into the mix. Since you are new you will be starting doing under level games, freshman and JV. If you are officiating the prelim game prior to the varsity do your best to stick around and watch the varsity officials. Check with them to see if they mind you listening in on pre-game, if it's still going on after your game is over. Also if you can sit in on their halftime conversations.

I know a lot of veteran officials have been almost pleading with the younger officials to stick around after their games. I know in my case it has helped me actually get some varsity games because they recognize you and your name and realize that you are willing to put in the time to get better.

Hope this helps and welcome back.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who has responded. It's much appreciated!

Any other thoughts are also welcome...