The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 11:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp134
I have to agree with Tom, the games can be good for an official. In some instances these games can make a HS game become much easier. I have found that you have to get better angles to see thru the play. Games will be much faster, more contact and more lip from the guys. For me I think doing Mens leagues has helped my game tremendously.
I guess it depends on your experience. Where I live these leagues are absolute garbage. The only times working what could be classified as a Men’s League are leagues that have current NBA players and current college players. Everyone does not get those types of games and when you do get those opportunities, you are likely working in the CBA or a potential NBA official. But the local YMCA league with some has-beens and never-was players, you are only looking for trouble. And it is not secret the guys that work these leagues are more than likely officials that will do just about anything for the money.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

So, I guess I'll follow up on this as I had a couple of Intramural games at a local university last night. I was running a little late (left work later than I wanted and had to wade through traffic).

I got to the gym just at game time and jumped into the first game a couple of minutes late. The first game was a "Graduate Students Division" game. It was a battle of some older but huge guys (several guys 6'3" or taller) and some younger and smaller guys (which did have one guy about 6'2" or 6'3")

For an intramural game and of what I remembered of the league (I hadn't done it in a couple of seasons), the game was pretty good. The older guys, with their height, dominated early. However, the young guys, with their young legs battled back. It was pretty an even battle deep into the second half.

However, several incidents reminded me why I didn't ref adult leagues too much:

At one point in the 2nd half, the big guy from the young team and another big guy from the old team started jawwing. I tried to seperate them, alas being 5'10" with a couple of 6 footers standing over me, I did little to prevent them from talking to each other. I ended up just giving them "double T's" and life went on. Maybe the guys just needed to get their anger out of the system.

Then toward the end of the game, the young team just unraveled. They started jawwing about me missing an out of bounds call (possibly). Then, when the point guard of the young team drove to the hoop, he was hit pretty hard. Both my partner and I got the foul. However, the guard being the great guy he was, decided to swing an elbow back at the defender.

We issued a "T" to the point guard and ejected him. Then finally, after all the commotion, my partner correctly called out of bounds on one of the players from the younger team. THe player proceeded to boot the ball the length of the court after the call. My partner (with about 15 seconds left) simply just called the game at that point.

Fortunately for us, the 2nd game (with undergrads) went much more smoothly.

That was my evening. Do I regret taking the game? Nah, it was fine. But I do know why I try to avoid taking too many of these games. Knuckleheads do certainly take the fun out of basketball.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:29pm
Huck Finn

Call me twisted, but I love that kind of crap. I would have loved to be in that game. The only thing I would do different is I probably wouldn't get between adults. I would say something to persuade them to stop and then I would T them up.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

You gotta be selective in what Rec Leg you do. I - for all reasons mentioned here - have done some. Some are better than others.

Choose wisely or bad habbits can potentially overcome game experiences your getting.