The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I took you guys advice and signed up with a real association ( I've only worked Rec and Intramural ball). Finished an 8 week clinic and learned a lot.

My first two games were 8th grade girls and I worked with a veteran. Can I say "HAD A BLAST". The gym was packed and the games were fun to call.

Next set of games were 7th grade boys in a packed gym and the first game was interesting. We (I) allowed the wrong team to inbound and they scored. While in the clinic I really studied the correctable errors and have a good understanding of them. I told my partner (3 yr Vet) we couldn't correct the error and she, along with the coaches disagreed. I tried to explain, but she didn't understand and sided with the coaches and removed the score. The second game was close and my partner was still reeling from the first game. I was okay because of the year long stay on this board and was confident. We eventually finshed doing a good job.

Oh, before we started the first game a player approached me and said " Thanks for Reffing our games we know you prefer to do big games". I replied "Thanks and I'm really glad to be here". BIG difference from Rec and Intramural Ball.

Learned there are plenty of opportunities. My goal this year is to work hard and maybe land a Sub varsity game. Well, just yesterday I was assigned to a boys JV and 9th grade game. I had to pass because I was obligated.

Lastly, wanted to say THANKS for the advice, will let you know how things go and will probably have questions too.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 01:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Oh, before we started the first game a player approached me and said " Thanks for Reffing our games we know you prefer to do big games". I replied "Thanks and I'm really glad to be here".
A nice reply would have been "Is this a big game for you? Well, then it's a big game for me, too."

Of course, I would have said, "If I'm working the game, that makes it a big game."
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats, Woodee!
Now you need to figure out a way to convince the Vets not to overrule you when you are correct.
I had a hard time with this for a while, but now there isn't an official in the association who would go against me on a rules question during a game.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Oh, before we started the first game a player approached me and said " Thanks for Reffing our games we know you prefer to do big games". I replied "Thanks and I'm really glad to be here".
A nice reply would have been "Is this a big game for you? Well, then it's a big game for me, too."

Of course, I would have said, "If I'm working the game, that makes it a big game."
Mark,

You are CRAZY!!!!!!!

Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy!!!!

Yes he is. Ain't it great!

Of course because of your involvment here you were correct that this was not a correctable error... only an officiating error.

Glad you had a great time and am sure your will have a great time for your JV and 9th grade games.

You may find that some of those 9th grade games are better than the "BIG" games. 9th grade games can be pretty exciting.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Congrats, Woodee!
Now you need to figure out a way to convince the Vets not to overrule you when you are correct.
I had a hard time with this for a while, but now there isn't an official in the association who would go against me on a rules question during a game.
Nevada -- I would humbly submit that since you are the one most likely to be the vet in that situation, you need to help him out by being willing to give in. If you can learn this, and teach other vets how to do this, it will help Woodee and others in his situation a great deal.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 09:53am
Huck Finn

Wink

Quote:
Congrats, Woodee!
Now if you can just keep you finger off of the horn!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Congrats, Woodee!
Now if you can just keep you finger off of the horn!
I love it! There are certainly many things that I am still working hard to improve.
To let others in on this joke, tomegun worked the last Nevada state championship game this past season and I did the clock. At one point, I became momentarily distracted during the administration of free-throws and didn't notice that tomegun (as the lead) had already given the ball to the free-thrower for the second of two shots, so I hit the horn for a sub from the shooting team who had just sprinted to the table! He calmly blew his whistle got the ball back from the shooter and then gave me the best "Ah, come on!"-look in the history of HS basketball. I wanted to crawl under the table.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Nevada -- I would humbly submit that since you are the one most likely to be the vet in that situation, you need to help him out by being willing to give in. If you can learn this, and teach other vets how to do this, it will help Woodee and others in his situation a great deal.
You are certainly right about vets needing to be willing to give in, Juulie, and I always do what I can to help newer officials when I am their partner.

However, my point was more about the older vets who can't seem to believe that the younger official might be right.

Even though I have 8 years of HS experience, I am still quite young at 29, and have faced the situation Woodee described numerous times. I have concluded that it takes some mixture of familiarity with your elder partner and a display of personal strength and confidence by the younger official to allow the correct call to prevail in these instances. And that is what I was attempting to impart to Woodee. Be strong and have confidence in yourself young man! Don't let others convince you that you are incorrect when you KNOW that you are right!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Be strong and have confidence in yourself young man! Don't let others convince you that you are incorrect when you KNOW that you are right!
And what about "the old man" who also KNOWS that he is right? What ya gonna tell him when the rook is determined to make a mistake?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:09pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Udaman, Woodee!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,
It's tough, but we both know that we have to work together out there.
I was once part of a three man crew that had a tough rules sitch. The R was unsure, the U1 was sure, but wrong, I knew the correct rule. In order to convince him, I asked the R, "How many times have I screwed you?" He said, "Never." Then I asked him, "How many times has (the other guy's name) hosed you?" He responded, "I'm going with you!"

Of course, there is my general belief that the old guys rarely get it right!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Dan,
It's tough, but we both know that we have to work together out there.
I was once part of a three man crew that had a tough rules sitch. The R was unsure, the U1 was sure, but wrong, I knew the correct rule. In order to convince him, I asked the R, "How many times have I screwed you?" He said, "Never." Then I asked him, "How many times has (the other guy's name) hosed you?" He responded, "I'm going with you!"

Of course, there is my general belief that the old guys rarely get it right!
Be careful with this, if things work out you'll be an old guy yourself one day.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Hmmmm, me thinks that I should start listening more to Dan!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Hmmmm, me thinks that I should start listening more to Dan!
Yes, Dan has LOTS of experience!!