Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
To attain a "certified" rating, on top of getting at least 85% on Part II, don't you also have to get at least 90% on the NFHS Part I exam?

You know, the Part I exam that's meaningless?

And, for the "Power Points" used to determine post-season assignments, aren't more points given out for a higher certification level, and for how well that you did on the Part I exam? Don't you get 5 power-points for getting 97+% on the Part I exam, as opposed to only 1 power-point for getting 80%? If so, then it seems to me that having the Part I exam and answers early sureasheck could make a difference in Illinois.
Game. Set. and Match.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And, for the "Power Points" used to determine post-season assignments, aren't more points given out for a higher certification level, and for how well that you did on the Part I exam? Don't you get 5 power-points for getting 97+% on the Part I exam, as opposed to only 1 power-point for getting 80%? If so, then it seems to me that having the Part I exam and answers early sureasheck could make a difference in Illinois.
You are making a bigger deal then most of us here make of that power rating. That power rating is not what gets you advanced in the playoffs. The only way you can get a perfect score is if you work a State Final. The Power rating is not going to have you go deep into the playoffs; you will have to be observed by someone in the state office to accomplish this. Also, most officials already have the 5 points because there associations have gone over the test. Once again, this is an open test and it is common for official's associations and individuals go over the test in groups. I know from personal experience because in two of my sports I have advanced rather far and I was observed by the actual sports administrator before I got a chance at a Sectional and a 3rd Round playoff.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Game. Set. and Match.
BTW Camron, the person over the Official's Department (also the Football Administrator for the IHSA) said that it is OK for officials to go over the Part 1 Exam with fellow officials. He has said this for years in front of different official's associations at the IHSA Convention. They realize the test is open book and that is what happens during open book tests.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I just love this time of year...leaves changing color, crisp mornings with frost on the lawn, gearing back up for another season. Now that the annual pre-season test pissing contest is in full bloom we can finally declare autumn is here. Let's all enjoy...

Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Guys why does it matter, It's open book this year so why would anyone want it in advance? Just read the book!
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Guys why does it matter, It's open book this year so why would anyone want it in advance? Just read the book!
Oh, is it open book in all 50 states, Fred?

Just wondering....

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Oct 27, 2006 at 03:30pm.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 02:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Then that is something that Illinois will have to deal with woody.
Yup, same as Alaska.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Oh, is it open book in all 50 states, Fred?

Yes or no?
Who cares what all 50 states do. All 50 states do not take the Part 1 Exam at all. It is not the job of everyone to worry about that. If the people in a particular state violate their rules, then have their state take care of them. Not all rules apply to all states. If they did, then prostitution would not be legal in a little part of Nevada. I thought guys like you would be for State's rights.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
BTW Camron, the person over the Official's Department (also the Football Administrator for the IHSA) said that it is OK for officials to go over the Part 1 Exam with fellow officials.
Would the same person feel that it would be OK to go over the Part II exam and answers with fellow officials before the closed-book proctored exam?
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would the same person feel that it would be OK to go over the Part II exam and answers with fellow officials before the closed-book proctored exam?
Different people prepare for tests in different ways.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Different people prepare for tests in different ways.
So....how do the Powers That Be in Alaska feel about your way, Bush?
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 11:00pm
Huck Finn

I only know a little bit about the whole Bush thing, but I think it's funny because he isn't even trying to deny it. I guess you exposed him for who he is.
Old Sat Oct 28, 2006, 12:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not know and I do not care. Guys in our state for years before the process was changed got a free ride to take the Part 2 Exam as compared to what many others since had to go through. I do not put that much stock in officiating tests and I know many that do not. You do, so this issue seems to be a bone of contention for you. For me it is not.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send me a copy also
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see questions/answers also and just to prevent a mass out break of ethics.. our group does not take the test, it is an on court test and each year I like to go over test so I am sure I am aware of all the rules and situations that might not be covered during our on-court test.

please sent to [email protected]

thanks,
Closed Thread